Author Topic: Full computer for $25  (Read 44594 times)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: Full computer for $25
« Reply #350 on: 04 January, 2014, 06:10:20 pm »
If you really wanted the Firefox logo you could compile it yourself, but there's no point as Iceweasel is exactly the same thing.

Maverick

• One of the rural idle
    • Twoberries
« Reply #351 on: 05 January, 2014, 10:00:18 am »
Improvements appear to be coming
http://www.raspberrypi.org/archives/5535

Chris S

« Reply #352 on: 05 January, 2014, 10:10:30 am »
I must admit, I've never attempted to use a Pi as a PC. Mine do chores. They're great for that because they cost bugger-all to run, they run Linux which is intrinsically Useful, and they have enough grunt to do Useful things. I've even deployed some in the Real World - add a 1Tb drive and they make a really cheap secure offsite backup solution.

The most impressive Pi solution I have here is an XBMC server. It serves 1080p movies just fine.

The least impressive is a DCHP/DNS server. It hardly knows it's on.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #353 on: 05 January, 2014, 03:09:55 pm »
I must admit, I've never attempted to use a Pi as a PC. Mine do chores. They're great for that because they cost bugger-all to run, they run Linux which is intrinsically Useful, and they have enough grunt to do Useful things.

Exactly.

They can do this sort of useful chores, as well as the more softwarey sort of useful chores:

(This is a work-in-progress prototype.  The version to be deployed in the real world will have its own PCB, neater components, more sensors, and working software.  Yes, I *could* use Arduino or something, but a fully-fledged Linux system has well-supported software tools that can do much of the work out of the box, don't require a central server to process the data, and the Pi is attractively cheap.)

« Reply #354 on: 05 January, 2014, 03:19:07 pm »
It looks impressive, but, um, what is it?
Quote from: tiermat
that's not science, it's semantics.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #355 on: 05 January, 2014, 03:53:56 pm »
It looks impressive, but, um, what is it?

We have a network of gadgets throughout the house.  They're mainly there to flash strobes and attract barakta's attention to things like the doorbell or phone ringing, but also include sensors to control the heating, and some other random stuff.  I cobbled it together on a shoestring budget about ten years ago based on a flaky I2C bus and low-end PICs, with software running on a server to do all the clever bits.  It's been overdue for replacement for ages now, but I keep riding my bike instead.

I decided that the new version needed to be as simple and reliable as possible.  IP/Ethernet rather than hard to debug proprietary comms.  Wireless as an option.  Alterting functions separate from sensing functions at a software level.  That sort of thing.  Expandable and upgradable, where possible, without having to dig out tatty circuit diagrams and boggling at spaghetti code more than absolutely necessary.  That sort of thing.

The Pi makes the bulk of that utterly trivial.  It speaks IPv6 over Ethernet (or Wifi with a dongle).  The GPIO port allows easy interfacing with the rest.  That board contains: RS232 port (for controlling our LED matrix signs, which means we can ditch a load of serial cabling that's running back to the server); Dallas 1-wire interface, with temperature and humidity sensors on-board, and RJ45 connector with a standard pinout for connecting more; SPI buffering for RGB addressable LEDs (which are a cheap and flexible way to do an attention-getty front panel that's viewable from across a room); cheap and nasty audio amp, with a mute control so it doesn't make annoying buzzing noises when idle (the analogue audio on the RPi is shite, but adequate for notification type stuff); switching power regulator to power the Pi and I/O stuff.

Power over Ethernet[1] is yet to be added, as is the driver for the zenon strobe, PIR and light level sensors and a bit of uncommitted buffered GPIO, because there's always the unforseen.  I'm also toying with the idea of local battery backup (the PoE injector will be on a UPS, but that's no good if it's running wirelessly or off the back of a cheapo switch, powered by a local wall-wart).

OWFS handles the 1-wire sensors out of the box.  I've written some test code for the LEDs.  Networking, serial, audio and so on are all standard Linux stuff.  Then it's basically a matter of RRDtool and some code and config files to tie everything together.  I suspect I'll have to do some proper work to make a SIP client phone ringer that can register with our Asterisk server, but the rest should be pretty straightforward.  The USB and HDMI ports should be accessible, so it can have a screen and keyboard connected for use as an IRC/SSH/not much else terminal - this will allow us to retire the WYSE serial terminal with the b0rked proprietary keyboard in the kitchen, and the Pentium II laptop in the bedroom.

Then I'll have to work out how to use Eagle properly, and think long and hard about physical construction.  I appear to be capable of soldering a TSSOP without cocking it up, but I'm rubbish at cutting holes in panels.

ETA: Incidentally, I can recommend these prototyping boards.

ETA2: Got the PoE working.

[1] Which is, unfortunately, going to have to be a bit of a bodge, because the Raspberry Pi's Ethernet jack doesn't expose the wires downstream of the magnetics.

« Reply #356 on: 12 April, 2014, 11:55:59 am »
For really simple projects, recently I've been using the Digispark Arduino type clone, which are basically £7 each, plus P&P, if you buy a couple and go for the cheapest delivery option (this way it's under the VAT threshold which you'll get hit for on larger purchases from the USA).

A couple of days ago, they released the Digispark Pro on Kickstarter.  Whilst the Digispark uses an ATtiny85, which allows an absolute maximum of 6 IO pins and 8k of Flash for programs, the Pro has an ATtiny167 which means the number of IO lines has more than doubled, as has the Flash.

Since the bootloader eats up about 2k, that means there's quite a lot more storage for program code now.  The Pro also has a proper micro-USB connector, rather than the USB connector made out of the PCB on the standard Digispark, which is prone to rapidly wearing out USB sockets!  The Pro also has all of the connections on two parallel pin runs, so it works in breadboards better (essentially it fits like a standard DIL device).

Two Pros on Kickstarter will cost about the same as two normal Digisparks bought through Digistump's webshop, and it's a nice little controller for simple requirements, where you may only want a small handful of IO lines.  The Digispark Pro has already hit the $10000 Kickstarter goal, with 29 days still to go (the original Digispark got $300000 against a $5000 goal. ;D).  There are already some interesting shields; WiFi, nRF24L01 (mesh networking), Blue Tooth, and Blue Tooth Low Energy.  There's some brief mutterings about GPS and LiPo shields, which could be nice, but we'll have to see if anything like that ends up as a stretch goal.
Actually, it is rocket science.

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #357 on: 12 April, 2014, 01:46:38 pm »
Must admit that I've been using pro mini at about £1.40 each delivered (buy in a batch of 10 from China). Certainly seem to do the job.
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

« Reply #358 on: 12 April, 2014, 04:28:03 pm »
The trouble with the Arduino Pro Mini, and many of the other Arduinos for that matter, is they only have serial on the device itself, so you have to either use a serial cable from the PC, or use an FTDI cable/card to convert from USB to serial.  It always seems a bit brain dead to me, when you can either use a CPU like the ATMega32U4 or AT90USB1286, which have built in USB support, or use V-USB to talk USB over some spare GPIO pins.  Digistump are using V-USB  with the Digispark and Digispark Pro (I believe), and PJRC use the former approach with their Teensy's.

This means all of my devices pretty much natively talk USB, and at full USB speed in the case of the Teenys.

If you need to use a cable to program the device, you may just as well use something programmed with ArduinoISP (or similar) to program the device over the ISP link, and that way you can also program the fuses and bootloader.

Whilst some of the Chinese eBay type stuff is very cheap, I doubt they're putting much back into development.  They are probably just taking the design and replicating it as cheaply as possible, at the expense of the companies who are willing to expend time, effort, and money at developing new concepts.
Actually, it is rocket science.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #359 on: 14 July, 2014, 02:04:58 pm »
A new improved revision of the model B Raspberri Pi:

http://www.raspberrypi.org/introducing-raspberry-pi-model-b-plus/

Highlights include 4 USB ports; expanded GPIO; a *Micro* SD slot that doesn't stick out; switching regulators and a greatly improved physical layout.   :thumbsup:

simonp

« Reply #360 on: 14 July, 2014, 03:53:56 pm »
Nice. Our pond cam had to be replaced after it got a bit wet. I've yet to reinstate the ability to save underwater video though, so you'll have to just believe me when I say it's great. We can watch the fish, underwater, in full HD, on the telly.

GraemeMcC

• CaptainContours
« Reply #361 on: 10 November, 2014, 01:03:07 pm »
Well, here goes - having read about the Pi in LXF and LU&D magazine and their apparent educational purposes, I've bought one each for my two nephews for chrimbo, and one for myself so that I try to respond to any inevitable questions posed Uncle G's way.
Aside from Minecraft and trying to put a spark of life into a broken RC car thing, or building a robot to do what?, I can see the merits in media streaming iplayer archive programs to the TV.
Then reading Kim's bit up-post about linking PIRs and domestic devices, I can see a hands-free house lighting project looming... :D

Hang on, I've PBP qualifiers to get fit for and an un-executed project to build a full-on linux photo-video editting box out of a dead PC given to me, etc, etc,  :hand:
PBP 2011: 1234 km by Nr. 5678 in < 90 hrs. Most auspicious...

« Reply #362 on: 10 November, 2014, 10:30:45 pm »
Sonic  Pi is  a  really good  starter #1. It  does  something  straight-away, makes  cool sounds, and  leads onto learning  about  programming in a structured way. all you  need is  some  head-phones

Chris S

« Reply #363 on: 20 January, 2015, 03:36:22 pm »
Doing a little spring cleaning today - as there are Snowdrops outside, so it must be spring, right?

My four Pis continue to run faultlessly (three here, and one now resident at fboab's place - where it's a media server like one of its sibs here). The one I'm doing maintenance on today had (before I started buggering about with it) an uptime of 242 days  :thumbsup:.

ETA: Which rather flies in the face of a previous post of mine where I said that Pis are not that stable. Clearly, it's possible to make them stable :).

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #364 on: 20 January, 2015, 03:56:21 pm »
That's pretty good.  Mine are better since I moved all the files that get changed regularly to tmpfs, but they still seem to randomly end up in a state after a couple of weeks where some things stop working properly (audio playback and controlling the HDMI output via tvservice are the usual symptoms, but I think the underlying issue is blocking filesystem access - network and GPIO based stuff (their main job) continues working flawlessly).  I need to try running one with USB storage and the SD card read-only, to see if that solves the issue.

There are 7 Pis with various brands of SD card, and it affects all of them eventually.  All running standard Raspbian (except for one which has a custom kernel for a GPIO PPS time source).

David Martin

« Reply #365 on: 20 January, 2015, 07:43:53 pm »
Mine were very flaky with USB. Must extricate and rebuild them with a new image.

..d

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #366 on: 02 February, 2015, 10:34:18 am »
It is simpler than it looks.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #367 on: 02 February, 2015, 02:03:28 pm »
More RAM, better processor, otherwise identical to the B+.  That's a canny decision, I reckon, as it should neatly avoid compatibility problems (with the abundance of existing tutorials, as much as with specific software and hardware).

Wonder if that makes it fast enough to be usable as a 'desktop'.

Maverick

• One of the rural idle
    • Twoberries
« Reply #368 on: 02 February, 2015, 06:38:37 pm »

David Martin

« Reply #369 on: 02 February, 2015, 08:19:16 pm »
More RAM, better processor, otherwise identical to the B+.  That's a canny decision, I reckon, as it should neatly avoid compatibility problems (with the abundance of existing tutorials, as much as with specific software and hardware).

Wonder if that makes it fast enough to be usable as a 'desktop'.
Allegedly yes

Anyhow, I should be able to let you know soon.

..d

simonp

« Reply #370 on: 02 February, 2015, 10:16:05 pm »
It should be perfectly usable. I'm going to make mine into chickencam.

Chris S

« Reply #371 on: 26 November, 2015, 10:39:45 am »
For all you minimalists out there in Piland - The Pi Zero.

£4. Less than a cheap bottle of plonk. Awesome  :thumbsup:

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #372 on: 26 November, 2015, 11:06:59 am »
It's also less than most Arduino[1] dev boards.  Which is pretty cool, really.  Good to see they haven't skimped on the mounting holes, and have kept the same GPIO header (it's tempting to design this sort of thing to fit a SIMM socket, but that's a lot less breadboard-friendly).

I'd have liked to see another USB port or two (presumably the chip supports 4) on a 0.1" header, but that's nitpicking, really.

[1] Okay, not really the same thing, and many projects will end up with both working together.

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #373 on: 26 November, 2015, 07:04:40 pm »
If you could hack a eyeFi SD card and use that as your wifi dongle you therefore free up the USB port for a HD. Unless there is a WiFi board you can connect to the GPIO.
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #374 on: 26 November, 2015, 08:29:44 pm »
If you could hack a eyeFi SD card and use that as your wifi dongle you therefore free up the USB port for a HD. Unless there is a WiFi board you can connect to the GPIO.

If you're attaching a disk then you might as well use a USB hub.  You'll need one anyway if you want input devices.  But this board is more about the embedded applications than desktop computing, running headless with interesting stuff on the GPIO, and the USB likely populated by some kind of network interface.