Author Topic: What have you fettled today?  (Read 2134216 times)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: What have you fettled today?
« Reply #13400 on: 17 December, 2018, 11:20:13 pm »
Deore trigger shifters on the Dawes.  They were failing to ratchet reliably in the minus-cold temperatures of Tan Hill at the weekend, but managed a partial recovery after 3 hours on a Pendolino in time for the ride across Brum.  In light of this, I followed Torslanda's advice and removed the cable threading hole plug, inserted the straw from my can of GT85 and flushed them through with copious quanties of the stuff, interspersed with repeated frobbing.  They're now clicking firmly and were completely reliable on a short ride to the shops at a tropical 7C (final judgement suspended pending colder conditions).

Also swapped the Marathon Winters back to Duremes and gave the rear wheel a quick session in the truing stand (I suspect one of the spokes had had a kerfuffle with a D-lock at some point, as it was just the one that needed significant tweaking).

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #13401 on: 18 December, 2018, 12:03:41 am »
'Frobbing'. Descriptive. Love it...
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #13402 on: 18 December, 2018, 12:04:46 am »

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #13403 on: 18 December, 2018, 06:00:45 am »
I'm going to use that. 

I don't know where or when, but it's definitely been lodged in the back of my brane
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

« Reply #13404 on: 18 December, 2018, 04:21:14 pm »
Yesterday, cleaned the bikes properly so I could hang them on my shiny new rack thing without them dripping mud and assorted nasties everywhere. Not going to ride them for a while as I hate the cleaning part.

Today, finished painting the bike room (I'm not sure that light beige was necessarily the best choice, but it's a tiny room and I wouldn't be able to see much if it were too dark; I went for the supposedly wipe-clean paint, so we'll see!).

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #13405 on: 18 December, 2018, 04:37:36 pm »
Not really a fettle, but I got my butane workshop heater to start and keep going by dint of putting my fan heater some way behind it to play on the bottle. H&S would be aghast, bless their cotton socks and woolly brains, but butane bottles are safe below 50°C and the bottle never got warmer than ~15°. Got the temperature in the shop up from ~5°C to 16° before the gas. ran. out. Bugger.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #13406 on: 18 December, 2018, 05:39:29 pm »
Not really a fettle, but I got my butane workshop heater to start and keep going by dint of putting my fan heater some way behind it to play on the bottle. H&S would be aghast, bless their cotton socks and woolly brains, but butane bottles are safe below 50°C and the bottle never got warmer than ~15°. Got the temperature in the shop up from ~5°C to 16° before the gas. ran. out. Bugger.
The camping bodge for that sort of thing is to stand the gas cartridge in a  pan of water.  Even cold water will do a vastly  better job of supplying heat to boil the butane than cold air will.

ElyDave

« Reply #13407 on: 18 December, 2018, 06:33:04 pm »

OI! I resemble that remark, and I'd be entirely happy at that behaviour

You performed an adequate risk assessment and monitored the effectiveness of your controls

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #13408 on: 18 December, 2018, 09:27:16 pm »
The camping bodge for that sort of thing is to stand the gas cartridge in a  pan of water.  Even cold water will do a vastly  better job of supplying heat to boil the butane than cold air will.
I've read about a (fool)hardy Alipinist who made some kind of heat exchanger using a piece of copper tube, hammered flat, passed through the flame and wrapped round the gas canister.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #13409 on: 19 December, 2018, 09:58:31 am »
Not really a fettle, but I got my butane workshop heater to start and keep going by dint of putting my fan heater some way behind it to play on the bottle. H&S would be aghast, bless their cotton socks and woolly brains knickers, but butane bottles are safe below 50°C and the bottle never got warmer than ~15°. Got the temperature in the shop up from ~5°C to 16° before the gas. ran. out. Bugger.

OI! I resemble that remark, and I'd be entirely happy at that behaviour

You performed an adequate risk assessment and monitored the effectiveness of your controls

Oops, sorry pardon.  In any case it has since become an issue of health rather than safety, as in buggering one's lumbars wrangling a new cannister out of the barn & into the heater.

I hate winter.

I've read about a (fool)hardy Alipinist who made some kind of heat exchanger using a piece of copper tube, hammered flat, passed through the flame and wrapped round the gas canister.

To read Joe Simpson, Alpinists are mad anyway. 

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #13410 on: 19 December, 2018, 10:47:06 am »
I have fettled a new avatar. Do you like it?

ElyDave

« Reply #13411 on: 19 December, 2018, 11:00:48 am »
Some offcuts of wood have been prepped for me and daughter to fettle into a mini trebuchet for my son for Christmas

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #13412 on: 19 December, 2018, 02:18:44 pm »
Trebuchet. Tree-bucket. Damn, still have ours to fettle ceilingwards.

« Reply #13413 on: 19 December, 2018, 02:30:27 pm »

Wake you up before you go go?

(assuming I've identified it correctly)

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #13414 on: 19 December, 2018, 02:41:29 pm »

Wake you up before you go go?

(assuming I've identified it correctly)

Tick, VG. That would earn a bar of chocolate if your were one of my Scouts.  I think there's an "A" difference.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #13415 on: 20 December, 2018, 04:32:21 pm »
Put a new blade on my bandsaw. Fiddly bloody business, but Lord the difference.  I've been cutting curlicues with a 15 mm radius this afternoon, just for fun. The old blade - from Metabo so it must have been good, right? - was rubbish.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #13416 on: 20 December, 2018, 04:42:25 pm »
Pablo Roy.  :thumbsup:
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #13417 on: 20 December, 2018, 08:51:59 pm »
Pablo Roy.  :thumbsup:
Bar of chocolate for you too.

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #13418 on: 20 December, 2018, 09:12:02 pm »
a new smart trainer (flux s) from it's box into action. few improvements over the old flux - better freehub design, anodised and more balanced flywheel, more clearance for long arm derailleurs.

« Reply #13419 on: 21 December, 2018, 11:56:35 am »
Nothing. Yet.
But yesterday my postie left me a note to say that he is holding to ransom the bits necessary to convert my 2-speed Brompton into a 3-speed derailleur-activated bike.
That should keep me busy over the festive period.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #13420 on: 21 December, 2018, 01:22:42 pm »
I polished the corrosion off a Reynolds Hidaluminium fork lamp bracket.   These are approximately 100x rarer than steel ones but they do cover an annoying hole in the RH fork blade of a vintage bike, weigh almost nothing, and you can strap a Lezyne Femto Drive blinky to them to leave the handlebars free.  The thread of the mounting bolt is 5/16 x 26TPI, by the way, and very common on old British motorcycles, so don't be ripped off paying £10 for a "bike specific" bolt.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

bludger

• Randonneur and bargain hunter
« Reply #13421 on: 21 December, 2018, 04:55:33 pm »
Tried to run my gravel kings tubeless today but couldn't get them to mount using my co2 inflator or hand pump. Bit of a loss of what to do, might go to the Evans I got them from and ask if I can try using their inflator should they have one.

Any other ideas? I've thought I could try using one of the petrol station pumps, not sure if that would require an adapter of some kind (the valves are presta but the cores are removable so could I pop them in to the schrader pump?).

Otherwise will reluctantly use them with tubes in for the 500 as they seem like cracking tyres.

Just rang Evans they're happy for me to pop in with the wheels and try to mount them with their Joe blow booster pump. Touch wood 🍀🤞
YACF touring/audax bargain basement:
https://bit.ly/2Xg8pRD

Ban cars.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #13422 on: 21 December, 2018, 05:38:11 pm »
I am in the process of fettling some sossidge rolls.  I've a feeling my pastry is better than the last lot I molished.

I hope to unfettle them, in good company, over the weekend.

ElyDave

« Reply #13423 on: 21 December, 2018, 06:40:28 pm »
Seriously unfettled a tyre, on the car.

Refettled the spare into it's place

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #13424 on: 21 December, 2018, 06:47:39 pm »
Fettled some Bad Swears in the direction of my commuter after it got stuck in the big ring outside work this morning.
WD40 (I know, it was what was handy) and wiggling of of the front mech did nowt. Was reduced to undoing the cable so I could ride home in the small ring, which I was glad of on the hilly bits. The front shifter levers are all flappy, so ordered a new set of shifters in case it's not fixable.
Still, at least it waited until the last commute of the year...
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.