Author Topic: The Chiltern Dash  (Read 1171 times)

The Chiltern Dash
« on: 29 October, 2018, 09:10:53 am »
Congrats to Jocelyn and Richard, the Aylesbury Aces, for another excellent event on Saturday.

Well done to everyone who took part it in that cold, windy weather, especially the 200km version with that continuous rain all afternoon. Anyone thawed out yet?

I think the 2018 version could be renamed The Chilly Deluge! It's still a lovely route though, in any weather. Am looking forward to next year's event.

Re: The Chiltern Dash
« Reply #1 on: 29 October, 2018, 12:53:25 pm »
+1 to that, good fun - thanks  :thumbsup:

As it was 50k from home I opted for the 100 & ECE'd it, it was bloody cold from the offset, then glorious until it started raining in the afternoon, none of which spoilt a nice day out.

After the first control I rode the rest with Tim S (the steam ride organiser) he'd also decided to ECE the 100 and we had a similar pace.  We both suffered a bit by not eating enough at the first control, so the second feed stop was just in time.  The food at the end was also a very warm welcome and after some soup, sandwich & cake I felt warm enough to plod home into the wind & rain  :facepalm:

Thanks again, hope to get on the 200 next time.

whosatthewheel

« Reply #2 on: 29 October, 2018, 12:57:10 pm »
Did the 200 last year, when it was held in late August... lovely fast route, with a sprinkle of pictoresque Cotswolds thrown in... still unsure why all these rides are named "Chiltern" when they avoid the Chiltern hills, but hey oh...

https://www.strava.com/activities/1141817230

« Reply #3 on: 31 October, 2018, 07:26:49 pm »
Thanks for helpful comments. Don't often get over to yacf. We are interested next year initially to run:-
  • Chiltern Grit (200 & 100) during Bucks February half term -- these are both in the calendar already, also
  • Chiltern Fosseless (200 & 100) during Easter holidays -- some planning required (& the 200 does go up 1 Chiltern hill -- the 100 could be called the Chilternless Fosseless but you can see the Chilterns from it and that would be a bit of a mouthful even by audax standards :-) )
  • Chiltern Dash (200 & 100) moving back to the summer time -- hopefully with more light and much better weather to reward last weekend's warriors (not so much Chiltern climbing - but definitely plenty of Chilterns to see from time to time)
  • and maybe a 300 -- I haven't seen the route yet but it comes from a good pedigree -- The Chiltern Edge perhaps