Author Topic: Stupid question: how do I extract my GPS data from an Etrex?  (Read 1359 times)

I've never bothered before, so simply don't know how.
Google doesn't seem helpful.

I tried EasyGPS - but it found other saved routes on the device and downloaded everything as one huge mixed-up file.

mcshroom

• Mushroom
Re: Stupid question: how do I extract my GPS data from an Etrex?
« Reply #1 on: 06 May, 2014, 10:20:05 am »
What model of Etrex are you using?
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #2 on: 06 May, 2014, 10:45:46 am »
On the older models, if they haven't been set up to archive daily, the best way is to use the software provided in the box - Trip & Waypoint Manager - or Mapsource if you've got it which is the same thing beefed up.
This too will download everything all muddled up, but you'll get a list of Tracks which will be your saved tracks plus the 'Active Log' (which may be in several fragments).  Just delete the bits you don't want and save the bits you do.

If you've set up the daily archiving (it's not set by default), then it's all much easier - just take the card out and put it in a card reader and copy the tracks across that way - you get everything, named by date.

On new model Etrexes, the archiving goes into the GPS memory, not the card unfortunately - in \Garmin\GPX\Archive\ - so you have to mount it as a USB drive, and be careful to unmount it cleanly afterwards.
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

« Reply #3 on: 06 May, 2014, 01:04:11 pm »
It's the older eTrex model the yellow one with serial port connection only.

My ride mates are desperate to get the data for Strava!

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #4 on: 06 May, 2014, 01:06:26 pm »
If you know which track it is then copy it in EasyGPS, paste it into a new with Dow and then you can save that track as a gpx file.
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #5 on: 06 May, 2014, 03:31:05 pm »
You might be able to delete the 'saved' tracks in the GPS menus, leaving you with only the 'Active Log' which is presumably the one you want.  Tracks that have been 'saved' in the GPS might not contain all the data Strava needs anyway - but the Active Log will, but it might be fragmented into more than one, and the bits would need joining together.

But keep that 'huge mixed up file' first - I'm sure that can be sorted out quite easily.  Try uploading it to GPS Visualizer to see what's what.
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll