Author Topic: On the commute today  (Read 2489278 times)

Re: On the commute today
« Reply #19750 on: 20 June, 2017, 11:47:32 am »
One-off commute through the lanes from Stroud to Cam & Dursley station. Gorgeous morning. I caught up with one of the regulars so at least I knew I was on time for the train, but was taunted as a fair-weather cyclist... guilty as charged these days.

« Reply #19751 on: 21 June, 2017, 09:25:41 am »
Cool and overcast. Pleasant riding weather though.

« Reply #19752 on: 22 June, 2017, 11:16:02 am »
More pleasant riding past the huge queues for the royal highland show.

« Reply #19753 on: 22 June, 2017, 11:31:12 am »
A lot cooler than yesterday but still pretty muggy, and some blustery wind. Not particularly looking forward to the 15+mph winds forecast for tomorrow either...

fuzzy

« Reply #19754 on: 26 June, 2017, 11:36:58 am »
Previous commute: pretty short. Down a dead-straight road going from a 40 limit to a 60, both of which are widely ignored. End up having to turn right to a ped access point  using a filter lane I have previously had to dive out of as one oncoming moton decided to overtake another while totally ignoring my presence.

Round an office block road net and onto the main airport approach road, with a mixture of utterly twatbastard bus drivers, Addison Lee cabs in a hurry and similar private cars, spiced with large numbers of people who either
(a) use the chevrons dividing the short-term car-park slip road from the other lanes as a parking/waiting area. It's safe: they've got their hazard lights on. Or:
(b) having driven into said slip road, ignore the huge signs saying "no reversing; take ticket and proceed through at no cost" and exhibit a variety of behaviours ranging from reversing into oncoming traffic (ISTGTHO) to doing a U-turn and driving at high speed the wrong way

Followed by passing through the bus station, which is frequented by peds who appear to have no concept of the words "road" or "traffic"

Push bike through concourse and more peds, with luggage and zero observational skills.

New commute: three times the distance. 100 yards or less down busy road, and turn right. Back streets with minimal traffic, one right turn onto busy road followed 100 yds later by left turn off it and more back streets. Followed by off-road cycle path through trees and past lake, with birdsong, geese with goslings, bunnies and general nice things. No need to go through concourse.

I think I am ahead here.

Ahead? It sounds like you have come up smelling of roses :thumbsup:

I completed my last Monday morning ride to work today by leaving early and taking a new to work route. It was bliss.

« Reply #19755 on: 28 June, 2017, 07:38:03 am »
Yesterday a BMW Big pulled slowly into the ASL alongside me way after the light had gone red.

I tapped ever so politely on the window and mouthed "Can I have a quick chat ?" with a big smile on my face.

I explained that what she had just done would incur the wrath of the local plod as it was the equivalent of jumping a red light, and that the reason for the box is to allow cyclists wobble room to set off. This was all received, not well, but it appeared to be listened to. She countered with "So, not wearing a helmet then ?"

"What has that got to do with anything ?" I asked incredulously.

FFS
Rust never sleeps

« Reply #19756 on: 28 June, 2017, 09:32:45 am »
The Morning After the Night Before, on a summer morning, my favourite.

I assume most left their bikes at work yesterday evening, maybe I left early but I didn't think it was that bad last night

« Reply #19757 on: 28 June, 2017, 05:23:03 pm »
... as it was the equivalent of jumping a red light ...

It's not the equivalent of jumping a red light, it is jumping a red light.  If the light is red, and you cross the first stop line, in a motor vehicle, you've gone through a red light.  Likewise for the second stop line, if you're using a pedal vehicle.  Unfortunately, both lines are frequently crossed by both classes of vehicle, illegally.
Actually, it is rocket science.

« Reply #19758 on: 29 June, 2017, 08:08:09 am »
Back in the game  :thumbsup:

Slow, sore and a bit nervous on the greasy roads, can't afford another off at the mo since the bone is still knitting. It's good to be back though despite the Mancunian weather

Riggers

• Mine's a pipe, er… pint!
« Reply #19759 on: 29 June, 2017, 09:15:54 am »
Yesterday a BMW Big pulled slowly into the ASL alongside me way after the light had gone red.

I tapped ever so politely on the window and mouthed "Can I have a quick chat ?" with a big smile on my face.

I explained that what she had just done would incur the wrath of the local plod as it was the equivalent of jumping a red light, and that the reason for the box is to allow cyclists wobble room to set off. This was all received, not well, but it appeared to be listened to. She countered with "So, not wearing a helmet then ?"

"What has that got to do with anything ?" I asked incredulously.

FFS

THAT is quite incredible isn't it? I can't believe her response!! What is wrong with people. Why couldn't she simply acknowledge a mistake, hold her hand up, perhaps say "Sorry", and that's an end of it. But it indicates, that whatever you're likely to say to this woman, once she's in her car, anything she does within the context of driving can not be impugned. She feels violated by having her driving questioned, and feels justified to counter, with what she thinks/assumes, with a Cycle Rule or Law. What a moron, but one in charge of a potentially dangerous vehicle.
Certainly never seen cycling south of Sussex

ian

« Reply #19760 on: 29 June, 2017, 09:42:14 am »
Once I was waiting in the ASL at the lights somewhere in the Democratic People's Republic of Peckham and a BMW squeezes into next me (literally squeezes). I point out the stop line is somewhere behind her car. Well, you go through red lights she counters.

« Reply #19761 on: 29 June, 2017, 02:43:08 pm »

The access control barriers have been permanently removed from both ends of the Potter's Lane underpass, onto Estreham Road ! :o ;D

They've also removed a lot of the planting, and made it a clearer and more visible route.

The cycle routes around there are slowly being made pleasanter, although for some odd reason, they also removed a small section of  Kerb on Ellison Road, which makes it far easier for cars to be parked in a fuckwitted manner, partially or completely blocking the cycle lane. >:(

(That car is actually parked in front of the lowered kerb to the back of the pub, and further on it's Loading Only, both of which are regularly ignored and unenforced).

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
« Reply #19762 on: 29 June, 2017, 07:48:26 pm »
A toss up between this thread and "motorised moron".  Homebound; travelling at about 17/18mph a few yards out from a blind corner that drops into a dip when some clot in a (not)MINI decides that's a really good place to overtake.  The oncoming driver wasn't impressed, but I'm pleased, for the sake of the oncoming driver, to report that his brakes work _really_ well.
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

« Reply #19763 on: 29 June, 2017, 08:04:40 pm »
Once I was waiting in the ASL at the lights somewhere in the Democratic People's Republic of Peckham and a BMW squeezes into next me (literally squeezes). I point out the stop line is somewhere behind her car. Well, you go through red lights she counters.
The mere act of driving a large BMW appears to wipe all logic circuits from the driver's brain. That is priceless. Did you have a chance to respond ?
Rust never sleeps

« Reply #19764 on: 29 June, 2017, 08:11:20 pm »
Four weeks in to my new commute and in addition to the two collisions twixt car and bike I've witnessed so far (one all on the blame front), I saw a motionless scooter rider lying in the road, his mashed up scooter and a stationary truck on Colliers Wood High Street this morning. Police in attendance (but no ambulance) and a few shocked people standing around, so I didn't miss it by much. In eleven years of commuting the same distance out of London I didn't witness a single incident.

And here's something to ponder on. There are some catastrophically poor examples of cycling and driving on display every single run. Does the panel think that it is the same drivers cyclists who have no clue and end up having an accident, or is what I witness simply a driver/cyclist losing their brain very briefly, and that this sort of thing happens to all of us ?
Rust never sleeps

« Reply #19765 on: 29 June, 2017, 09:55:03 pm »
It doesn't happen to all, but as we "know" the average driver is pretty shit. Why then is it a surprise that the average cyclist is pretty shit?

Add to that the density of inner London - cars and bikes - and that's what you see. Whether driving or cycling, you can normally influence your chance of being involved in any incident if you so choose.

fuzzy

« Reply #19766 on: 30 June, 2017, 09:37:55 am »
Drove in today. My last day as a school caretaker so I have lots of stuff to ferry home.

« Reply #19767 on: 30 June, 2017, 09:51:54 am »
Drove in today. My last day as a school caretaker so I have lots of stuff to ferry home.

So from next week you will be cycle commuting to a location where any bike maintenance requirements will be easy to address?

:thumbsup: Fuzzy the purveyor and wrangler of bikes.

« Reply #19768 on: 30 June, 2017, 11:03:00 am »
Ooooo. I missed this. What are you up to next ?
Rust never sleeps

« Reply #19769 on: 30 June, 2017, 12:54:21 pm »
It doesn't happen to all, but as we "know" the average driver is pretty shit. Why then is it a surprise that the average cyclist is pretty shit? ...

Basically, people are idiots, which is a fairly safe rule of thumb for life, but applies even more when cycling around.  I guess it's simply more of a worry with cars, that can cause a dramatic amount of damage, but cyclists and pedestrians also fairly regularly cause issues on my commute.

The main reason I avoid "peak times" on my commute, are the amount of morons cycling along Queenstown Road (and Cedars Road, and Clapham Common).  For those who aren't familiar with this part of London, because the bridges across the Thames are pinch points, some roads also become very busy with all forms of traffic.  Queenstown Road is actually pretty good from the point-of-view of motor vehicles posing a threat to cyclists in the morning commute, because the motor vehicles are often stationary, caught up in traffic, and there's a wide bus lane.  At peak times, especially on sunny summer days, some other cyclists become a significant threat.  I generally just let them all get ahead of me, and then carefully overtake the few very slow cyclists, letting the cyclist "boy racer equivalents" stay in front, where I can see them, and avoid any fuckwittedness.  It's rarely worth the effort of getting past dangerous and poor cyclists, to gain a few minutes at most, on my one hour commute.

fuzzy

« Reply #19770 on: 30 June, 2017, 01:04:08 pm »
Ooooo. I missed this. What are you up to next ?

Tomorrow I start as a full time bike sales and minor repair droid at the LBS I currently work part time at.

The commute is a 2 minute walk!

« Reply #19771 on: 30 June, 2017, 01:17:28 pm »
It doesn't happen to all, but as we "know" the average driver is pretty shit. Why then is it a surprise that the average cyclist is pretty shit? ...

Basically, people are idiots, which is a fairly safe rule of thumb for life, but applies even more when cycling around.  I guess it's simply more of a worry with cars, that can cause a dramatic amount of damage, but cyclists and pedestrians also fairly regularly cause issues on my commute.

The main reason I avoid "peak times" on my commute, are the amount of morons cycling along Queenstown Road (and Cedars Road, and Clapham Common).  For those who aren't familiar with this part of London, because the bridges across the Thames are pinch points, some roads also become very busy with all forms of traffic.  Queenstown Road is actually pretty good from the point-of-view of motor vehicles posing a threat to cyclists in the morning commute, because the motor vehicles are often stationary, caught up in traffic, and there's a wide bus lane.  At peak times, especially on sunny summer days, some other cyclists become a significant threat.  I generally just let them all get ahead of me, and then carefully overtake the few very slow cyclists, letting the cyclist "boy racer equivalents" stay in front, where I can see them, and avoid any fuckwittedness.  It's rarely worth the effort of getting past dangerous and poor cyclists, to gain a few minutes at most, on my one hour commute.

You and me both. I also have a tendency to "protect" slower cyclists where it is clear that there should be no overtaking, blocking the way until it is safe to go. Mostly works, although on one occasion this week it almost ended in tears. CS2, CS3 can get decidedly unpleasant coming home (I'm normally early coming in), I've worked out alternatives that keep me away for the most part.

« Reply #19772 on: 30 June, 2017, 01:23:42 pm »
If I was new to this and didn't know it gets easier I'd pack it up based on this morning's performance. No power, no energy, in fact I'm so sodding tired that I'm struggling to function.

Paul

• L'enfer, c'est les autos.
« Reply #19773 on: 30 June, 2017, 02:15:19 pm »
It doesn't happen to all, but as we "know" the average driver is pretty shit. Why then is it a surprise that the average cyclist is pretty shit?

I don't think I agree.

Add to that the density of inner London - cars and bikes - and that's what you see. Whether driving or cycling, you can normally influence your chance of being involved in any incident if you so choose.

I think I agree.

I found cycle commuting much harder when I worked in Brum city centre. It was easier when I worked in Nottm city centre and easier still in Derby. I think it's possible that traffic density affects road users.
What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?

ian

« Reply #19774 on: 30 June, 2017, 03:53:58 pm »
Hmm, the Potter's Lane barriers where half broken the other day (one side had sheared off and they'd been bent round), which was puzzling. Seems they were half way through removing them. I didn't mind them to be honest, I wouldn't want to meet cyclist coming at full pelt through the underpass.

Cyclists are pretty awful, but usually they can't do much harm than annoy me. There's probably not more accidents since it requires conjoined stupidity, and probability tends to suggest that while both parties may be idiots, they're less likely to be idiots at the same time.

I occasionally make the mistake of cycling CS7 during peak times and it's the speedy boys who are the worst. What's with the close pass thing? I can't imagine they like it when it happens to them. And if you berate them, they do the 'I gave you loads of room' thing. Oddly familiar. Chaps (and it always bloody is), I don't want to race you, and it's pretty intimidating especially for new or less confident cyclists.

Those and the slow cyclists who, at each traffic light, position themselves at the front (it seems to be a mix, from Boris Bikers through to the lycra boys who then spend 30 seconds wobbling in the way while trying to clip in). I'm less bothered by the red light jumpers (of which there does seem to fewer) but as for the ones who think the green man on a pedestrian crossing is the best time to thread between pedestrians, I hope you fall face first into an epic pile of dog-do. With your mouth open in surprise.

Oh and the cyclists who take those risks that make you wince.