Author Topic: That syncing feeling (Garmin Connect with multiple devices)  (Read 1646 times)

That syncing feeling (Garmin Connect with multiple devices)
« on: 06 December, 2019, 09:40:00 pm »
At one level, I know what is going on here. I'm looking more for perspectives and recommended approaches.

I've ridden for several years, quite happily, with just a Garmin Touring Edge Plus, which I only use for Audaxes and other "proper" rides (although most of my rides are commuting). However, an unexpected double bypass earlier this year got me suddenly and inexplicably ;) more interested in activity logging, and I started to use Garmin Connect, initially with a Vivosmart 3 watch because I wasn't allowed to ride, but I could track my walking etc. So, I registered the Edge as well of course.

Since then, mostly with birthday gifts etc. from a family who have developed similar interests in my activity, I find myself with Speed Sensors on two bikes, and a Fenix 5. Oh, and Garmin Connect itself connected to the My Wellness gym app.

What I'm finding though (and here's the real question) is that rides get double-counted on the Edge and the Speed Sensor. Now at one level that's because the Edge Touring Plus doesn't connect to speed sensors (only heart-rate ones), so the two records are getting reported to Garmin Connect separately.

But at another it surely can't be beyond the wit of man to make Connect spot that the two rides are happening at the same time and look reasonably similar? One upshot is that My Wellness thinks I'm Superman because I ride my bike so much (not!)

Of course I could upgrade the Edge, but why? I'm really not up for replacing a whole suite of Garmin products every time they bring out a new generation. I think, especially since it's mostly driven from Connect anyway, that they ought to be able to do a better job of backward compatibility.

Has anyone else tried this?

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
Re: That syncing feeling (Garmin Connect with multiple devices)
« Reply #1 on: 10 December, 2019, 08:37:40 am »
no, you have to delete one of the activity tracks.
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

Re: That syncing feeling (Garmin Connect with multiple devices)
« Reply #2 on: 10 December, 2019, 11:11:00 pm »
Yes, that's what I've concluded. I still can't really see why Connect, having all the data, can't spot likely duplicates and/or allow merges or whatever.