Author Topic: VeloViewer Explorer Score and Max Square  (Read 350197 times)

wfb

Re: VeloViewer Explorer Score and Max Square
« Reply #2525 on: 30 May, 2022, 01:31:45 pm »
There's now a global heatmap live on VeloViewer with options to filter by number of visits (for anyone, or just by you), and number of athletes. https://veloviewer.com/explorer

I understand that GDPR may be linked to why the version on RideEveryTile.com was taken down. Understandable, but I did like the ability to see exactly how somebody got into a tile!

I wonder how often this is updated - it's showing no visits for a square that I completed last Friday (5/27).

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo

wfb

« Reply #2527 on: 02 June, 2022, 12:02:04 am »
Cheers - so currently every few days but potentially soon daily. And I do now see my visit to 8039 5513. Thanks.

« Reply #2528 on: 04 June, 2022, 10:27:14 am »
A 2 1/2 week camping trip through Sweden caused my raw tiles count to finally break the 40.000 barrier, I'm at 40.151 tiles now. Square is still at 56 and cluster at 8099.

SoreTween

• Most of me survived the Pennine Bridleway.
« Reply #2529 on: 15 June, 2022, 05:41:55 pm »
Grabbed a couple of awkward tiles that were difficult to get without using the A466 (Chepstow to Monmouth).  I know a lot of people think it's a nice road but personally I think it sucks donkey balls.  One was gained by doing the Wye Valley Greenway then round to t'other side of the Wye for a heave over Gaer Hill (near St Arvens).  First 1000m ride in a very long time.  My total for the year is now a rather pathetic 401km but that's 401 better than it was this time last year so I'm looking on the bright side.

7.14% (239/3348)
Now 9.74% (332/3409)

2023 targets: Survive. Maybe.
There is only one infinite resource in this universe; human stupidity.

« Reply #2530 on: 16 June, 2022, 12:41:37 pm »
Grabbed a couple of awkward tiles that were difficult to get without using the A466 (Chepstow to Monmouth).  I know a lot of people think it's a nice road but personally I think it sucks donkey balls.  One was gained by doing the Wye Valley Greenway then round to t'other side of the Wye for a heave over Gaer Hill (near St Arvens).  First 1000m ride in a very long time.  My total for the year is now a rather pathetic 401km but that's 401 better than it was this time last year so I'm looking on the bright side.

7.14% (239/3348)
Now 9.74% (332/3409)
I grabbed a couple of tiles that are awkward to get without using the A31 on Monday evening. I did it by, well, using the A31. Which, with a 2019 AADF of 66,000 is 3x as busy as the M48 and only marginally less traffic than the M4 at the bridge.  :) (It's the direct continuation of the M27).

Ah, see, I had a very cheeky trick up my sleeve! I nipped on just before they closed it off.

It was the tiles around Stoney Cross that were the main concern. Hard to get to, at least efficiently, by other means.

« Reply #2531 on: 16 June, 2022, 05:17:10 pm »
Ah, see, I had a very cheeky trick up my sleeve! I nipped on just before they closed it off.

It was the tiles around Stoney Cross that were the main concern. Hard to get to, at least efficiently, by other means.
Nicely played.   :thumbsup:
The Tile Collector

SoreTween

« Reply #2532 on: 16 June, 2022, 08:52:47 pm »
Cheeky, in all the good ways. Well played indeed  :thumbsup:

(Wierd, I've never had the slightest envy of someone riding a dual cabbageway 'till now)

SoreTween

« Reply #2533 on: 17 June, 2022, 11:54:22 am »
For 'live' tile bagging on an android phone is there any alternative to osmand+VV helper?  OSMand seems to work ok but VV helper is a bag of <expletive deleted>*. 

* First it turns on Virtual Rides in the vv update process.  Fuck off with that, they are off for a reason (which ought to be obvious).  Second it gets stuck in a loop constantly splatting two 'updated' messages across the screen.  The only way I could stop it was to uninstall

« Reply #2534 on: 17 June, 2022, 12:48:38 pm »
I use Explorer helper for VeloViewer on my Android phone and it seems pretty decent.

« Reply #2535 on: 17 June, 2022, 01:21:17 pm »
For 'live' tile bagging on an android phone is there any alternative to osmand+VV helper?  OSMand seems to work ok but VV helper is a bag of <expletive deleted>*. 

* First it turns on Virtual Rides in the vv update process.  Fuck off with that, they are off for a reason (which ought to be obvious).  Second it gets stuck in a loop constantly splatting two 'updated' messages across the screen.  The only way I could stop it was to uninstall

Yeah, it seems to be "prototype quality".  But I paid nothing for it and I'm not volunteering to fix or replace it, so ...

After running the vv update, I use the android task switcher and throw the task upwards to kill it, then re-enter and use.

wfb

« Reply #2536 on: 20 June, 2022, 10:46:39 pm »

Tile Hunter? https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.squarehunters&gl=US

I use the iOS version and it’s a little quirky but does the job.

« Reply #2537 on: 21 June, 2022, 07:53:15 am »
The weekends 'Tour of the Borders and Galloway 600' bagged me a few more tiles, (all in Galloway)

11061 tiles (+73)
Max square 18x18 (still!)
Max Cluster: 849 (still!)
@CorbieLinnRider

SoreTween

« Reply #2538 on: 25 June, 2022, 11:27:07 am »
This week I rode King Alfred's Way

3661 tiles (+252)
Max square 13x13 (+0)
Max cluster 332 (+0)
Explorer ratio 9.07% (+0.67% I put that as a 'plus' even though the percentage is numerically down because exploring)

Thanks wfb, I'll try that.

« Reply #2539 on: 26 June, 2022, 11:18:56 am »
My pal moved down to Angus, so I've had a couple of trips down there for the first time. Some general riding about and some more attention to tiling routes has got me a corridor down there from Aberdeen now, and a little photodump.

Pingu

• Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #2540 on: 26 June, 2022, 04:26:45 pm »
 :thumbsup:

« Reply #2541 on: 02 July, 2022, 10:13:12 am »
Jonathan France now working up my little Dundee-Aberdeen stretch.... after putting his corridor up the whole east coast from Norfolk to get there  :o

« Reply #2542 on: 02 July, 2022, 12:05:21 pm »
My pal moved down to Angus, so I've had a couple of trips down there for the first time. Some general riding about and some more attention to tiling routes has got me a corridor down there from Aberdeen now, and a little photodump.

Nice pics
The Tile Collector

« Reply #2543 on: 05 July, 2022, 09:27:45 pm »
Nice pics
Cheers :thumbsup: Just iphone pana and 60s of slider play these days. Used to be DLSR and an hour+ of photoshop per image.

Halfday MTB slogging about today - the tiles I have left are all single things stuck on the coast somewhere hard to get to :facepalm: +3 tiles, +3 cluster.

« Reply #2544 on: 06 July, 2022, 01:25:46 pm »
Don't forget a tripod with special head.
The Tile Collector

« Reply #2545 on: 06 July, 2022, 08:41:42 pm »
I never went deep enough into panoramas to have the special tripod head, but I spent a lot of time doing timelapses  ::-)

Pingu

• Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #2546 on: 22 July, 2022, 07:32:43 pm »
Five new tiles today in the Northron Wastes bumped the cluster up to 2116. Max square is still 23 but I now have four of them instead of just one.

« Reply #2547 on: 24 July, 2022, 11:51:57 am »
The weekends 'C2C2C 300' bagged me a few more tiles, in Northumberland and Cumbria.

11129 tiles (+68)
Max square 18x18 (still!)
Max Cluster: 849 (still!)
@CorbieLinnRider

Zed43

• prefers UK hills over Dutch mountains
« Reply #2548 on: 24 July, 2022, 05:48:05 pm »
The past two months have been a frenzy of tile bagging, spurred by the 9-euro ticket that allowed unlimited travel on German (non-express) trains for an entire month. (as an aside: this offer is also available for August, if you're interested).

3000km of cycling in two months in a total of nine rides: one 400km BRM and eight dedicated tile bagging rides with four of them over 400km. A grand total of 1929 new tiles. I need another ride to connect those to the cluster, but this I can do starting from a Dutch railway station. Which was the point of these two months: getting all the "far away" tiles for a 100+ square.

Random selection of pictures:

With a total area of about 192 km² the Bundeswehr Technical Center for Weapons and Ammunition (WTD 91) is huge. Fortunately most of it is publicly accessible (most of the time).

Serious rain was predicted for the night. I didn't want to rely on finding a (bus or picnic) shelter to lay my bivvy and brought my Lofoten tent. Modus operandi on these 400+km rides was to find a somewhat secluded spot after 11:30pm or so then sleep until 4am.

Breakfast. Bakeries must be the staple of German society. Even on Sunday they open early (often at 7am) with freshly baked stuff and coffee.

Schützenfesten during the month of July; traditionally festivals or fairs featuring a target shooting competition, it's very much a social thing (drinking beer...). To maximise the fun each village organises their's on a weekend different from the neighbour's so they can visit each other.

Taking a few hours rest in the changeover from forest to arable land under the whooshing sound of slowly turning windmills.

A decent effort of blocking this railway crossing, but no match for a tile hunting randonneur. Look thrice, cross once (and live to tell)

Large moors in Northern Germany, I think nowadays they mostly cater soil for plants. Sandy and muddy roads which defeat mudguards.

The road went from paved to gravel, then turned into a farm track which ultimately vanished into a wall of nettles and brambles. I wished I brought a machete. But soldiered on, dressed in a harness of raingear, blazing a trail by crushing the nettles and brambles to the side for some 200m then coming back for the bicycle.

How my feet usually look after a tile ride.

Some comedy off-roading on the last ride. There wasn't a track perse, but with the high grass and foliage being freshly cut it it was ridable even though the mudflap scooped up a lot of it.

All the activity of the past two months. The "missing" tiles to the South and East of Münster were bagged in previous years with audax rides.

« Reply #2549 on: 24 July, 2022, 06:04:02 pm »
Looks like a fantastic couple of months Zed43. 100+ will be quite some achievement.

I’m currently aiming for about half that, but at the moment all tiles are being obtained by cycling from home. I’ll probably avoid any travel assist until I’m up to 65-70, and then reconsider.

Eddington: 133 miles    Max square: 43x43