Author Topic: Garmin - won't display maps  (Read 1733 times)

Garmin - won't display maps
« on: 07 August, 2018, 05:47:29 pm »
Foolishly I updated my Garmin yesterday and loaded up the latest version of the cycle map for Europe. Today I discovered that the Garmin no longer displays a detailed map, I think all I am getting is the very basic International basemap. I've tried rebooting and re installing the map, also checked on the activity profile and the cycle map is enabled. It's probably something stupid (other than buying a Garmin i the first place!) Anybody any ideas ?
Get a bicycle.  You will not regret it if you live  ~Mark Twain

Chris N

Re: Garmin - won't display maps
« Reply #1 on: 07 August, 2018, 06:11:58 pm »
Which Garmin?

« Reply #2 on: 07 August, 2018, 06:29:26 pm »
It might be that you need to rename the map (depending on which model you have).

Phil W

« Reply #3 on: 07 August, 2018, 06:34:36 pm »
Have you installed a unicode version of a map? Not all gps support unicode.  Also did you use Basecamp 4.7? The mapinstaller on 4.7 seems to be broken. I went back to version 4.6.1.

« Reply #4 on: 07 August, 2018, 07:17:33 pm »
Its a Garmin 820 and its Garmin's own downloaded maps that won't show. Everything was fine till the updates, there's a lesson there !

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #5 on: 07 August, 2018, 09:25:54 pm »
If the maps are dodgy ie they are locked Garmin maps which have been, er, unlocked then recent firmware updates have knobbled them.  There is a firmware hacking tool allegedly which removes this feature from the firmware.

If they are Genuine Garmin maps and not hacked, then you probably need to contact Garmin support.

« Reply #6 on: 07 August, 2018, 10:32:09 pm »
Totally legit maps - Garmin support it is then. Or maybe back to good old OS maps !