Author Topic: Socially Distant...  (Read 4337 times)

LMT

Socially Distant...
« on: 18 April, 2020, 11:15:46 am »
What was the reason (if any) given in the original post the OP is based on, as to why they did not have a repair kit?

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
Re: Socially Distant...
« Reply #1 on: 18 April, 2020, 11:20:47 am »
What was the reason (if any) given in the original post the OP is based on, as to why they did not have a repair kit?
New (to me) bike and haven't yet got my arse in gear to kitting it out. Add to that the (misplaced) faith in the chunky tyres and away we go.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

LMT

« Reply #2 on: 18 April, 2020, 11:31:46 am »
New (to me) bike and haven't yet got my arse in gear to kitting it out. Add to that the (misplaced) faith in the chunky tyres and away we go.

Maybe the 'miserable bastards' that passed you thought to themselves that here we have a guy, who despite the lockdown measure in place cba to sort themselves out with some kit before leaving the house and left you be - lesson learned the hard way.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #3 on: 18 April, 2020, 11:35:02 am »

Maybe the 'miserable bastards' that passed you thought to themselves that here we have a guy, who despite the lockdown measure in place cba to sort themselves out with some kit before leaving the house and left you be - lesson learned the hard way.
A fairer definition of miserable bastard I've yet to see this morning.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

Davef

« Reply #4 on: 18 April, 2020, 11:48:15 am »
I am certainly finding an appropriately timed large cough whilst offering to help soon has me on my way again.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Davef

« Reply #5 on: 18 April, 2020, 11:50:50 am »
I was joking. Clearly I don’t actually stop.

« Reply #6 on: 18 April, 2020, 11:50:59 am »

It's hard to imagine what kind of person would think that.

Mind you, it's also hard to imagine what kind of person would imagine somebody thinking something like that.

« Reply #7 on: 18 April, 2020, 04:01:34 pm »
Mind you, it's also hard to imagine what kind of person would imagine somebody thinking something like that.

Oh, I don't know. I'm finding it remarkably easy to imagine that the kind of person who would imagine someone thinking something like that is also the sort of person who would boast about their attempted price gouging on apparently scarce secondhand goods during a pandemic.

LMT

« Reply #8 on: 18 April, 2020, 04:59:16 pm »

Oh, I don't know. I'm finding it remarkably easy to imagine that the kind of person who would imagine someone thinking something like that is also the sort of person who would boast about their attempted price gouging on apparently scarce secondhand goods during a pandemic.

Economics 101 - supply and demand, although I don't recall boasting about it.

LMT

« Reply #9 on: 18 April, 2020, 05:00:36 pm »

It's hard to imagine what kind of person would think that.

Meh

« Reply #10 on: 18 April, 2020, 11:09:25 pm »

I'm truly impressed by how quickly you rushed to try on the price gouging cap, especially if it's merely Economics 101.

Damn good fit though.

« Reply #11 on: 18 April, 2020, 11:42:34 pm »
Certainly a bizarre move and not a little distasteful. If it was me I think I'd have to hold the members of the forum in utter contempt to try that little trick.

Nowt as queer as folk, I guess.

LMT

« Reply #12 on: 19 April, 2020, 08:51:45 am »
Certainly a bizarre move and not a little distasteful. If it was me I think I'd have to hold the members of the forum in utter contempt to try that little trick.

Nowt as queer as folk, I guess.

Meh

DNFTT

« Reply #13 on: 19 April, 2020, 10:01:49 am »
Blimey, has someone pissed on his (control) flip flops again?
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #14 on: 19 April, 2020, 11:31:07 am »

Oh, I kept a copy of the wanky shit.

Given the current climate this gets a bump...in price.

£1000
It is simpler than it looks.

Davef

« Reply #15 on: 19 April, 2020, 05:45:42 pm »

£1000
If it was more than one roll that seems a fair price.

« Reply #16 on: 20 April, 2020, 09:55:18 am »

£1000
If it was more than one roll that seems a fair price.
IIRC, the initial advert was for £800.

« Reply #17 on: 20 April, 2020, 01:02:37 pm »
Yes, it was.

I thought it was a joke first. I'd made the same joke offering mine for £16k. Got a few offers, actually, but negotiations broke down when I insisted on two rolls AND half a bottle of hand sanitiser.

He wasnt joking though.

Pedal Castro

• so talented I can run with scissors - ouch!
    • Two beers or not two beers...
« Reply #18 on: 20 April, 2020, 02:06:52 pm »
Last time in the Wolds:

58 km in the Wolds with 801m climbing. 

Rather cloudy with a biting wind and I got a puncture.  Maybe marathons are not as puncture proof as I thought, that's three this year already.  The only cyclist who passed offered assistance but I was doing fine so I just thanked him for taking the trouble.

I always carry work gloves in the tool kit so I could help someone but I am only doing shopping at the moment.  For outside exercise I go for a walk with Mrs A who is in a high-risk category and doesn't cycle no more anyway.

I always carry latex gloves with my ride repair kit, so I don't get dirty hands if I need to change a tube on the way to work. Also helps if it's raining and I misjudged the correct glove option.

LMT

« Reply #19 on: 20 April, 2020, 06:20:30 pm »
Yes, it was.

I thought it was a joke first. I'd made the same joke offering mine for £16k. Got a few offers, actually, but negotiations broke down when I insisted on two rolls AND half a bottle of hand sanitiser.

He wasnt joking though.

You are aware of the trainer I was offering to sell? Which was a brand new Tacx Neo 2 which currently sells for £1200. When this first went for sale, it was in a sale for a grand hence my offering of £800. This the increased to £1k following the demand for trainers going up.

If you or anyone else has got a problem with 'the wanky shit' of me selling a brand new trainer for 20-25% below RRP then yous can do one.

Chris N

« Reply #20 on: 20 April, 2020, 06:24:08 pm »
17% ;)

LMT

« Reply #21 on: 20 April, 2020, 06:44:07 pm »
17% ;)

There was a time when it was 33%.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #22 on: 20 April, 2020, 06:52:54 pm »
There's probably an argument for carrying a couple of ziplock bags or something so you can contain contaminated tools until you get home.  How's Blodwyn Pig handling his roadside finds?
How long do we reckon till he finds his first (unused) roadside covid testing kit? Will it be before or after the full hazmat suit?
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #23 on: 20 April, 2020, 07:59:07 pm »
Yes, it was.

He wasnt joking though.

You are aware of the trainer I was offering to sell? Which was a brand new Tacx Neo 2 which currently sells for £1200. When this first went for sale, it was in a sale for a grand hence my offering of £800. This the increased to £1k following the demand for trainers going up.

If you or anyone else has got a problem with 'the wanky shit' of me selling a brand new trainer for 20-25% below RRP then yous can do one.

Looks like your Sale post has gone. But not sold. Odd. 

Seems weird if you removed it, given your self-justification. If it wasn't you that removed it then your threats that those of us who found it distasteful (ie. everyone who commented) can "do one" seem somewhat impotent.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #24 on: 20 April, 2020, 08:00:32 pm »
Yes, it was.

He wasnt joking though.

It didn't sell, so you put the price up.
It is simpler than it looks.