Author Topic: Power pack that does not turn off  (Read 1042 times)

Power pack that does not turn off
« on: 01 May, 2023, 10:42:47 am »
I want to be able to charge my hearing aids when I do not have access to mains power. My current power pack, for use with my dynamo to charge things on the go, will not work for this purpose as I think the current draw is too low.

When I use the USB output on this power pack to charge my hearing aids, they get charged up to 85% and then the power pack switches off. The HA charger has a drying function which uses a small fan. The drying cycle runs for 3 hours. I think what happens is that when the fan goes off, there is no longer enough current being drawn and the power pack turns off.

The USB C charging port on the power pack can be used as an output. When I use this to charge the HAs, they recharge to about 90%. I think this is because the USB C end does not have the shut-off circuitry.

I think I’d be better off with just a normal rechargeable cell for this purpose. What would be best? Something robust and preferably directly rechargeable rather than requiring a battery charger would be best.

Re: Power pack that does not turn off
« Reply #1 on: 01 May, 2023, 11:56:27 am »
I have a Anker 313 Power Bank which has a trickle charging mode.

Provides safe and optimized charging to low-power devices such as Bluetooth earphones and speakers. To activate, press the power button twice or hold for 2 seconds until the LED indicator turns green.

« Reply #2 on: 01 May, 2023, 12:39:50 pm »
The long thin ones sold in Poundland and similar places tend to be always on.

« Reply #3 on: 01 May, 2023, 01:35:15 pm »
I have a Voltaic V25, bought for the pass through function as a buffer for dynamo charging.  Expensive for the capacity, though they have a good reputation, also annoyingly micro USB, I'm otherwise happy with it, advertised as being always on, though I haven't had need to test that.
https://voltaicsystems.com/v25/

« Reply #4 on: 01 May, 2023, 01:54:24 pm »
Or get something with 2 outputs, and plug something else in at the same time.

« Reply #5 on: 02 May, 2023, 03:13:41 pm »
I have a Voltaic V25, bought for the pass through function as a buffer for dynamo charging.  Expensive for the capacity, though they have a good reputation, also annoyingly micro USB, I'm otherwise happy with it, advertised as being always on, though I haven't had need to test that.
https://voltaicsystems.com/v25/

Yes, I had found the V25 by way of googling the matter. It is quite pricey though, almost getting into the region of the cost of Phonak’s official power pack. However, that power pack only works with one of the Phonak hearing aid chargers that work with my HAs so as well as being costly for what it is, it can’t be used for anything else. Which leads me back in the direction of the V25 or similar. I shall search on...

Or get something with 2 outputs, and plug something else in at the same time.

Noted as a possible solution, but probably won’t work with my existing power pack. It has one USB A port and a USB C port.