Author Topic: A random thread for food things that don't really warrant a thread of their own  (Read 508112 times)

IIRC US 'cinnamon' sweets use cassia because it's cheaper; it's a more assertive/overpowering taste than 'true cinnamon' (as I've seen USians call it), but is pretty similar.

I must get some of each and have a taste test.
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

T42

• Apprentice geezer
Cassia is cinnamon innit? Never thought of that as a poo sweet...

Senna is of the same ilk if not the same effect, so I suppose I was stretching a little.

If you were to grow senna in a corner of your garden you could point at it and say "This is our Poopish Plot". ;D
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
I found an opened but almost full packet of wasabi peas at the back of the cupboard. I tried a small handful, they've been there a while and seem to have lost their wasabi-ness. A bit bland. Looked at the best before date: 11.09.2012. No wonder they've gone bland.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
IIRC US 'cinnamon' sweets use cassia because it's cheaper; it's a more assertive/overpowering taste than 'true cinnamon' (as I've seen USians call it), but is pretty similar.

Ceylon cinnamon is Cinnamomum verum, which is where the 'true cinnamon' designation comes from. T'other is Cinnamomum cassia.

And yes, I would go along with your description - Ceylon cinnamon has a slightly sweeter, subtler taste. Cassia is stronger. If you buy powdered cinnamon in the supermarket, it's likely a mix of both (probably because, as you say, cassia is cheaper).

ETA: I only know this stuff because coincidentally I worked on a feature about cinnamon recently.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

ian

My jar of Barts Ground Cinnamon says 'true cinnamon' in small print on the label.

citoyen

My jar of Barts Ground Cinnamon says 'true cinnamon' in small print on the label.

Barts is well posh though, innit. I bet you bought it in Waitrose.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
The Barts factory – next to Fowler's motorcycles and the Parcelforce depot, opposite Temple Meads station, not far from non-Arenal island – is far from posh. It does occasionally smell a bit peppery.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
Sainsbury's website is as flaky as an over-baked croissant right now.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
are the roots of swiss chard edible?

cropping some leaves and stalks for dinner this evening I noticed a very bulbous almost beetroot like root and it set me wondering.  They are in the same family after all
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

citoyen

cropping some leaves and stalks for dinner this evening I noticed a very bulbous almost beetroot like root and it set me wondering.  They are in the same family after all

Yes, just as the leaves of beetroot are also edible and taste somewhat similar to chard, so are the roots of chard edible and AIUI not entirely unbeetrootlike in flavour (though I’ve not tried them myself).

That said, chard is cultivated for its leaves primarily so the roots may not taste quite as nice as beetroot. Do try it and let us know!

ian

Barts is well posh though, innit. I bet you bought it in Waitrose.

One has standards, you know. It's probably organic and freetrade too (OK, I've not checked).

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583

Yes, just as the leaves of beetroot are also edible and taste somewhat similar to chard, so are the roots of chard edible and AIUI not entirely unbeetrootlike in flavour (though I’ve not tried them myself).

That said, chard is cultivated for its leaves primarily so the roots may not taste quite as nice as beetroot. Do try it and let us know!

Hmm, am I now the forum guinea pig? 

"looks iffy, see if ElyDave will eat it"

ED > :sick:

"I'll give it a miss"

I can recommend the stalks as well as the leaves on chard, stir fried or sauteed in olive oil and salt.  Beetroot-wise, I tend to eat them fairly small, and eat the whole thing, root, leaves, stalk.
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

A lovely meal at a recently opened Liverpool restaurant.  Gorgeous food & good service by nice staff.  (Slightly marred by my letch of a friend drooling over the waiters package.... ::-) )

Only problem was the toilets.  Down stairs,   a single cubical for the gents & I had to limbo around the door to get in & out.  Didn't see any sign of any provision for disabled people.  I'll ask next time.  It's an old building, but they should do better than that.   

https://twitter.com/andrewxclark/status/1162135878778740736?s=20      £120 for nibbles, 3 courses & 2 bottles of wine.

https://www.facebook.com/queensliverpool/                 https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Review-g186337-d17724776-Reviews-Queens_Bistro_Wine_Bar-Liverpool_Merseyside_England.html

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/whats-on/food-drink-news/liverpools-secret-shopping-street-welcomes-16686723

Edit;  https://confidentials.com/liverpool/queens-queens-avenue-liverpool-reviewed?id=5d5178fda2b4a
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

My latest apron

hellymedic

• Just do it!
There's a full-size watermelon occupying much of my fridge.

There are only two of us resident here.

We've had a bit for supper but ?10kg remains.

I did not buy this monster!

Anyone within reach of Edgware want some?

T42

• Apprentice geezer
Send some to Boris and tell him to smile.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
I can't even lift the red, green and white elephant!

My Sainos Local has just sold me three bottles of Sauvignon Blanc, but only charged me for one  :thumbsup:

Watermelon carving?

Here's a couple I made a few Halloweens ago

Trumplemelons?

hellymedic

• Just do it!
 ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

T42

• Apprentice geezer
Oh well, in that case:

Always loved the smell of roasting pumpkin from these things.