Author Topic: homebrew?  (Read 65015 times)

SoreTween

• Most of me survived the Pennine Bridleway.
Re: homebrew?
« Reply #175 on: 09 September, 2016, 08:43:26 pm »
Sterilising done ready for bottling Woodfordes Sundew in the morning.  There will then be another pause while I collect another set of bottles, it's a hard job but I'll muddle through.
2023 targets: Survive. Maybe.
There is only one infinite resource in this universe; human stupidity.

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #176 on: 09 September, 2016, 09:10:06 pm »
I hope it will cool down soon as some of my bottles are a bit keen on the opening. Once or twice a cap has hit the ceiling with a mighty pop sound. And the are rather happy to see me, so some loss of beer. Sadly I don't have a cool enough spot to store the bottles. I'll wait a week or so before I start the steam ale.
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

« Reply #177 on: 09 September, 2016, 10:22:39 pm »
My Woodfordes has been going two weeks now,  I sterilised the bottles in the oven (two batches) a week ago, but decided to wait on bottling.  Will see what the s.g. is doing tomorrow - maybe leave an extra week.
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #178 on: 13 September, 2016, 07:46:11 am »
Surprisingly the beer is still fermenting, had planned on bottling it last weekend, but no go.

I'm home for most of this week and next so no great disaster.
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #179 on: 17 September, 2016, 11:27:51 pm »
Slowly working my way through some of the cellar. My winter brew is now a sparkly (but not heady) sharp and sweet with some hops  interesting dark brew. Slow drinker, which is a good thing as it apparently has some alcohol in (I have not bothered checking SG for a while with the brews as they are all one offs, and I don't use the data for anything.)

One of my colleagues has labelled the wheat beer 'not for a school night'. 'So you won't want another bottle then?' 'Too damn right I want another bottle'
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

ElyDave

« Reply #180 on: 17 September, 2016, 11:34:04 pm »
Bottled two demijohns of mine today, ran out of crown caps.

Both fairly low in alcohol so not keepers, but should be good for Christmas. The leftovers that wouldn't fill a bottle were good, particularly the herbed and spiced one.

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #181 on: 17 September, 2016, 11:37:59 pm »
I should make a solid effort to clear out the cellar. I don't drink much so the 20 or so bottles will require some help.
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

SoreTween

« Reply #182 on: 18 September, 2016, 11:37:42 am »
[Trevor McDonald]
Bong!
On tonight's news at ten.
Bong!
Dr David 'Oi you' Martin of Somewhereshire crushed to death in a stampede in his own cellar.
Bong!
[/Trevor McDonald]

« Reply #183 on: 18 September, 2016, 12:36:43 pm »
I bottled my Wdf's Wherry ale yesterday (after 3wks), with equiv of 1/2 tsp sugar/ bottle (x41). Probably leave it 2-3wks before sampling.

ElyDave

« Reply #184 on: 19 September, 2016, 08:55:35 pm »
I've done that one before, it stands a bit of aging

ElyDave

« Reply #185 on: 25 September, 2016, 08:16:21 pm »
That's the last beer bottled. The fruit one with sloes and rosehips, a quick taste while siphoning says this one is going to be good.

« Reply #186 on: 29 September, 2016, 06:52:47 pm »

Tried the first, 12 days after bottling, with a phizzzzt on opening - so a decent amount of 'life'.  Seems pretty good, but I should get some independent adjudicators around to test.   :)

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #187 on: 29 September, 2016, 06:59:03 pm »

Tried the first, 12 days after bottling, with a phizzzzt on opening - so a decent amount of 'life'.  Seems pretty good, but I should get some independent adjudicators around to test.   :)
see you in an hour or so?

« Reply #188 on: 02 October, 2016, 02:36:54 pm »

see you in an hour or so?

Still plenty left.   ;)

I took some bottles along to a party last night...  Some comments:

'tastes quite yeasty'  - wasn't keen, & didn't have any more than a sample in plastic cup.  Apparently it's common for kit yeast to leave a 'bit of an after taste'.
'that's nice' - (someone with a passion for homebrew) - had a glass.
'tastes continental'
'I'll have some more, as I prefer ale not so 'malty''  - had a whole bottle.

There was stiff competition from a box and pack of Loose Canon's Abingdon bridge; which I drank....  ;D

ElyDave

« Reply #189 on: 02 October, 2016, 09:32:10 pm »
Tried one of my IPA style beers this evening, cleared well, nice phhzzzt on opening and a good clean taste

SoreTween

« Reply #190 on: 04 October, 2016, 10:43:45 pm »
Warning, time sink: The Electric Brewery

The Brew Day: Step by Step stole a chunk of my Saturday but was quite educational.

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #191 on: 05 October, 2016, 07:59:20 pm »
1/ Drinking my Festival Golden Stag Summer Brew atm, very nice I do like the Elder flower in it.

2/ I got the Festival Steam Ale to go next, just waiting until it is cool enough to do so, which it is now, though not enough space or free bottles, hence #1.

I'm wondering how would you make a brew nice a creamy, I had a Leeds Pale Ale the other day, and really enjoyed the creamy feel to it. Would about 250/500g in 1-2 litres hot water seeping for a while then drained into the FV, do the job?

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #192 on: 28 October, 2016, 08:43:36 pm »
Set off the Festival US Steam Ale today, now I wait and wonder what to brew next.

ElyDave

« Reply #193 on: 29 October, 2016, 12:15:48 am »
One of my spiced ales this evening.

New brewing book on the way as well.  THinking how to do a proper mash brew from my available kit, if possible.

ElyDave

« Reply #194 on: 06 November, 2016, 08:39:21 am »
Anyone doing all mash brews?

I'm thinking of having a go, and looking at the kit requirements. 

I have a 5 gal polybucket, which has been my beer fermenter normally
Wide necked 5 gal wine fermenter, which could have a tap fitted and potentially become a mash tun/lauter tun combined (would need to work out a false bottom or other manifold arrangement that I could jiggle through the opening)
I have a home made wort cooler

Which leaves me needing a boiler/brew kettle. I'm thinking another 5-gal poly bucket with a couple of after market electric elements, which could then be fitted with a tap as well.

Anyone have any comments on that lot?

« Reply #195 on: 06 November, 2016, 10:02:26 am »
It's been quite a few years since I last brewed, and the memories may have faded somewhat. I had a heated polybucket (Electrim, but nowhere near as sophisticated as their current model), which served as both mash tun and boiler. The malt was held in a deep cylindrical bag with strong sailcloth(?) sides and a mesh bottom, with cord loops at the top so it could be held firmly in place with a strap round the outside of the bucket. This kept the malt from contacting the heating element and scorching. When mashing was complete, the wort was strained off into another 5 gal container. If I started brewing again, I'd probably do the mash in my large Coleman extreme coolbox, to save both time and electricity.

Sparging is crucial to getting the maximum extract; I used to sprinkle hot water from a kettle as evenly as possible, but a modified watering can might be better. I then had to remove the malt bag, clean the Electrim, return the wort and start the boil, bypassing the thermostat to prevent it from interrupting the boiling. Like you, I had a home made cooler, made from a coil of 8mm copper pipe.

Your suggested setup sounds more efficient than mine was. If you use loose hops, you'll need a hop filter to stop them clogging your tap; the malt bag can do this job at a pinch. Will you fit a heating element to your mash tun, or will it be well enough insulated to keep the temp within a couple of degrees of optimum? Why two elements in the boiler? A single 2.4kw kettle element should be enough, I reckon. How wide is the neck on your wine fermenter? If you need to jiggle the false bottom through the opening, getting the spent grain out might take a while!

ElyDave

« Reply #196 on: 06 November, 2016, 11:11:05 am »
thanks poacher,

I reckon insulation shouldn't be a problem, I can build jackets from a load of carpet underlay I have, bubble wrap, space blankets etc.

The wine fermenter has a wide enough neck to get my arm in to the shoulder, so not a massive problem.  Thinking more about this I reckon one poly bucket inside another with holes in it to act as a false bottom for a combined mash tun/lauter tun.  Another one with an element as a boiler for the mash/sparge water and the boil vessel, and the wine fermenter as a fermenter, with a tap to help bottling.

A three tier stand to help with a bit of gravity, knocked up from a few shelves and there's only the need to move one full vessel around.  Boil tank at the top, mash tun below, fermenter to receive the liquor.  Swap the fermenter up to the middle, boiler to the bottom, empty one into the other, add the hops, bobs your uncle.

Boiler then goes to the top, runoff through the cooler into the fermenter and away you go.

Shopping list = 2 poly buckets and a heater element, plus a hop strainer.

« Reply #197 on: 06 November, 2016, 11:42:40 am »
Hey presto! A tower brewery in your own home! Sounds good to go; let us know when the first brew is available.  :thumbsup:

ElyDave

« Reply #198 on: 06 November, 2016, 09:49:40 pm »
It's already planned

Might wait until after the current building works though, so new year.

Racked my sloe and rosehip wine.  Looking good, crystal clear and a lovely ruby/tawny colour.

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #199 on: 16 November, 2016, 08:48:02 pm »
Bottled the Festival American Steam Ale today. It tasted good already, might have to sample it tomorrow ... I'll be a good boy and give it at least two weeks ... but one sample can't hurt, can it?