Author Topic: Adding/updating to open street map ?  (Read 5183 times)

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
Re: Adding/updating to open street map ?
« Reply #25 on: 03 July, 2010, 02:27:58 pm »
If you save your waypoints, then they'll upload to OSM as part of the track: they appear as orange dots. 

(to save waypoints from the GPS, I use GPSbabel and just have everything -- tracks, routes and waypoints -- turned on.  This means, though, that I have uploaded my "home" point about twenty times.  :facepalm: )
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

« Reply #26 on: 03 July, 2010, 06:30:50 pm »
If you save your waypoints, then they'll upload to OSM as part of the track: they appear as orange dots. 
Thanks, I'm not aware of seeing waypoints. I'll look into this further.

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #27 on: 05 July, 2010, 06:46:09 pm »
Hmm how to mark this ...

I got a T-junction, where from the main road (Goldhawk Road) you can't turn right into the minor road (Sycamore Gardens). Because of barriers in the middle of Goldhawk Road.

Clicky to see from the sky

On OSM

How would you mark that in OSM ?
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #28 on: 05 July, 2010, 07:17:10 pm »
If the two directions of traffic are physically separated by a barrier etc in the middle, I think its worth mapping the road as a dual carriageway. ie draw a separate way for each direction, and tag them as oneway=yes. Then only connect the carriageways at the junctions where its possible to cross between them.

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #29 on: 27 July, 2010, 02:58:08 pm »
When you set a path as footpath, are you allowed to cycle down it ?

I got one example footpath in Chiswick which in marked in JOSM as a highway=footpath. But my GPS send me down it, when I have set the cycle profile.

There is a no cycling sign at the north end, but at the south end there isn't one. And quite a few people cycle there still.

When it comes to footpaths I would say that they are foot path and pedestrians have right away. But if there is a no cycling sign then it is no cycling. So will you if you find a footpath will you change it to bicycle=no ? e.g ho law abiding are you ?

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #30 on: 27 July, 2010, 04:27:21 pm »
The principle is to map what is, not what we'd like it to be (after all, a non-cycling non-local mapper would record the sign - the rest is opinion), so if cycling is banned, it might be worth adding a bicycle=no. 
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #31 on: 27 July, 2010, 04:33:00 pm »
Second that.

Though isn't highway=footpath a non cycling route ?

Map Features - OpenStreetMap Wiki

For designated footpaths; i.e., mainly/exclusively for pedestrians. This includes walking tracks and gravel paths. If bicycles are allowed as well, you can indicate this by adding a bicycle=yes tag. Should not be used for paths where the primary or intended usage is unknown.

From that I take it is, so therefore I do not need to say bicycles=no.

Panoramix

• .--. .- -. --- .-. .- -- .. -..-
  • Suus cuique crepitus bene olet
    • Some routes
« Reply #32 on: 27 July, 2010, 08:25:24 pm »
Second that.

Though isn't highway=footpath a non cycling route ?

Map Features - OpenStreetMap Wiki

For designated footpaths; i.e., mainly/exclusively for pedestrians. This includes walking tracks and gravel paths. If bicycles are allowed as well, you can indicate this by adding a bicycle=yes tag. Should not be used for paths where the primary or intended usage is unknown.

From that I take it is, so therefore I do not need to say bicycles=no.

I have also remarked that the munky map sometimes sends me down footpath and stairs!
Chief cat entertainer.

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #33 on: 27 July, 2010, 08:52:26 pm »
There are some more sophisticated style-file rules in more recent mkgmaps, and I plan to roll those into the munkymap - programmatically adding explicit "no"'s and such.  Things may improve :)