Author Topic: Have you been out today?  (Read 3895641 times)

Re: Have you been out today?
« Reply #26475 on: 15 April, 2024, 10:14:58 am »
Decided to see what kind of route Strava would autogenerate for me, and after rejecting several which all went along the coast road I ended up with a really nice route past Pathhead, Crichton Castle and Middleton, before returning through some slightly too busy roads into Dalkieth (and across the Sheriffhall roundabout just to top it off - this is no worse than other bits I'd already ridden, you "just" have to hold your lane...). A very nice ride out and I'm modifying the route for next time!

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #26476 on: 16 April, 2024, 09:08:44 pm »
I ventured out on foot to walk round Dinas Island. It was a lovely day and I was wearing too many clothes. I saw choughs, ravens, a linnet and quite a few meadow pipits. There was quite a bit of climbing - there is a trig point at 142 metres elevation- and my legs can feel that I have been out. Only about 3 miles I think, but it took me over 2 hours.

I am about to reward myself with a large slice of coffee and walnut cake followed by beer.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #26477 on: 17 April, 2024, 11:31:04 pm »

Dinas Island from Ffordd Bedd Morris, taken this evening after a good meal at the Golden Lion, Newport.

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #26478 on: 18 April, 2024, 07:19:57 am »
Club run around Warwickshire (I was Ride Captain) - just 39.7 miles but as that constitutes 23% of my total mileage for 2024 I was suffering a bit when I got back to the start, especially the retur run into strong headwinds.   Upside was an excellent pub, where we had not been before - The Tom O'The Wood at Rowington.

« Reply #26479 on: 18 April, 2024, 01:30:27 pm »
Planned birthday run changes when running mate remembered he actually had to work and a fellow shift worker messaged saying fancy a ride. Got the fast bike out and had a ride in near perfect conditions. He went off like a rocket so spent first 30km mostly chasing him, found a new to me road which worked well for our route. We then stopped at roadworks lights for a few minutes and legs got cold but his just stayed cold so the lead role was reversed. Did both push each other up a few hills. Had to skip coffee as needed to make a cake for my shift so rolled in just over 42km at a for me quick pace.

« Reply #26480 on: 18 April, 2024, 07:01:23 pm »
14.2 miles Slough Langley Windsor Slough circuit this afternoon. After a long stop at the cycle shop nattering I rode home and got in just before the rain started
 :)
the slower you go the more you see

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #26481 on: 18 April, 2024, 09:59:30 pm »
20k in 90 minutes with 499 metres of climbing. Eco mode 40%, tour mode 47%, sport mode 10%, turbo mode 3%. I used about 50% of the battery’s charge.

« Reply #26482 on: 19 April, 2024, 06:23:48 pm »
Slough, Windsor  Windsor Park, Old Windsor, dachet , Langley Slough. Approx 21 miles and dry  :thumbsup:
the slower you go the more you see

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #26483 on: 20 April, 2024, 02:37:56 pm »
At last, a ride that was (a) dry, (b) without back pain and (c) without (muted cheers) angina, no matter how hard I tried.  Unfortunately it was also rubbery-legged since rain and nursing my back meant that I had hardly moved all week.  Just 50k via nearest decent patisserie, with disagreeable NW wind and they'd sold out of choc chip cookies before I got there.

Nice: Could see rain falling in distance but I got home 15 minutes before it reached here.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #26484 on: 21 April, 2024, 04:18:19 pm »
Club ride. Since I had to ride to and from the start, that added an extra 40k.
The actual club ride was originally 100k itself, but it got truncated to about 60k on account of meh weather and some time constraints.

So 100k total.

« Reply #26485 on: 21 April, 2024, 09:05:08 pm »
Yesterday I did 92km with a camping load, along the downs then up the downs link a bit beyond Southwater, then looping round via a cafe in Wisborough Green and the abandoned church in Bedham to Gumber Bothy campsite. A bit too much mud and steepness in the last bit, otherwise a good day out.
Supper, listening to woodpeckers and owls, a bit of evening photography led into quite a chilly night.
Today, back through woodland and downs via Whiteways, Chanctonbury Ring to Shoreham. Where I decided I’d be fitter for calling it a day rather than more pushing uphill and cold north wind. Still, 40km was enough to stretch the legs.

bhoot

• MemSec (ex-Mrs RRtY)
« Reply #26486 on: 21 April, 2024, 09:22:53 pm »
A high speed ride to Waterloo station to take a train to visit family in Surrey. We live in the Isle of Dogs loop of the course so escaping early is a good idea on London Marathon day. It also meant that we could cycle all the way to Blackfriars along the marathon course which was closed to motor traffic - no need to stop at traffic lights etc as the crossing roads were all blocked by 08.00. Plenty of action setting everything up - particularly massive amounts of lucozade and lots of St John volunteers mustering! The marshals did not seem the slightest bit bothered about having cyclists on the road, there were plenty of others also enjoying the freedom.

« Reply #26487 on: Yesterday at 11:41:22 am »
A family we know have a very poorly kid so a few of us cook extra and drop meals in so when they want to can just reheat and save on cooking. They had some freezer space so thought I'd cycle over and deliver. Managed to squeeze the tubs into my alpkit giant bikepacking saddle bag thing which meant could take the fast bike rather then the pannier laden tourer, although out saddle riding was best avoided with all the weight hanging off saddle.

Took a fairly direct route there at around 14km but then thought its a alright day weather wise let's go on a bit so headed a bit further out till saw a road i don't recall riding down and followed front wheel from there. Soon enough picked up roads i recognised so made a little plan for way home. Crossed two railway lines and got caught at both so had to wait and drivers in silver end were as awful as ever. Just shy of 40km in total at a good for me speed again. As annoying as not getting a lot of weekend is working shifts does seem to be allowing more time for rides

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #26488 on: Yesterday at 04:27:24 pm »
Coffee run w. El Prez. Dry at home, thermometer said 11°, so light spring kit. Took rain jacket as afterthought.  Once on road temp was 9°, wind NE, cold w. strong gusts. Lots of cloud dropping showers here & there but not on us. Until...

Caught by rain at supermarket on way home. Sheltered under solar panel car-park roof. Rain got v. hard then lessened so we set off again.  Temp dropped to 6°.  Rain included the odd flurry of hail at no extra charge. Got home with toes sore & purple, otherwise OK.

Home had stayed dry throughout.  44 entertaining km.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight