Author Topic: Disposable gloves  (Read 1107 times)

Disposable gloves
« on: 10 October, 2020, 01:09:19 pm »
We are running out of disposable gloves so need to get some more.

We have had both latex and vinyl gloves.  They each have their problems.  Latex seem to fall apart when used with solvents, that may have been white spirit, but otherwise are OK.  Might try non powdered if there's a next time.  Vinyl are non stretchy, which makes fine tasks very difficult, and weak enough to tear if put on roughly.

Is it worth trying nitrile?

These are for general DIY and bike maintenance use rather than 'ealth and safety or viral contamination reasons.

What do others use?

Thanks

Re: Disposable gloves
« Reply #1 on: 10 October, 2020, 01:13:53 pm »
I have boxes of nitrile in the garage for general DIY and bike fettling

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #2 on: 10 October, 2020, 01:45:39 pm »

I just use nitrile. They aren't the most durable out there, but they work well enough.

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #3 on: 10 October, 2020, 02:29:34 pm »
Nitrile are what's used in our labs mostly. If you google for glove compatibility chart you will find lots of info on what's best for using with various solvents.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #4 on: 10 October, 2020, 02:58:05 pm »
Nitrile - BUT it's worth looking at non-disposable gloves - I used to use them when I was running an LBS* - they don't rip and can be taken on and off easily ... they obviously hold dirt and grease but depending on what you're doing that's not much of an issue - if I was doing something really wet and mucky I'd use the nitriles. 

I now use the same gloves when I'm handling rough wood projects in my workshop .. . and for general hand protection.

Like these:  https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/24-PAIRS-NEW-BLACK-PU-COATED-WORK-GLOVES-BUILDERS-MECHANIC-CONSTRUCTION-GRIP-XL/302909314813?var=601819439007&epid=8028338473&hash=item4686cd56fd:g:aEQAAOSwUlxbtxZa

* and the disposables I used came from ebay for about £6 a box (probably more nowadays with Covid etc)  - not the Park Tool gloves at £25+ a box!

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
Disposable gloves
« Reply #5 on: 10 October, 2020, 03:13:30 pm »
Remember there are different grades of nitrile gloves  - blue are good for general use, black are best for the bike workshop.

As robgul says, a decent pair of reusable workshop gloves are worth having too.

My wife has reusable nitrile gloves for gardening. They’re very good. She’d kill me if I used them for bike maintenance though. But they’re cheap enough that I could buy my own.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #6 on: 10 October, 2020, 04:42:42 pm »
I tend to wash and dry the cheap black nitrile and get 4-5 goes out of them.

« Reply #7 on: 10 October, 2020, 04:52:41 pm »
I generally use latex for oily/greasy work, as we have shed-loads at work (x-ray systems have large quantities of lead in them) but I also have some lightweight Showa non-disposables for other stuff, like mounting tyres, as they’re more durable and much less sweaty.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #8 on: 10 October, 2020, 06:29:20 pm »
Thanks all, I'll give your suggestions a try.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #9 on: 11 October, 2020, 08:52:48 am »
I use non-disposables. A pinch of talc makes it much easier to put them on.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #10 on: 11 October, 2020, 08:55:16 am »
I used to use a pair of heavy-duty marigolds.

These seem to stand up to oil and diesel. Thick enough that they don't easily tear. It's difficult to pick up ball bearings with them (but that is easiest done with a blog of grease on the tip of a screwdriver anyway).
Good for most fettling, particularly good for cleaning chains and similar.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #11 on: 11 October, 2020, 10:35:33 am »
Disposable Black nitrile, reusable nitrile and thick yellow marigolds here too. Covid does seem to have meant that disposables now cost double to triple what they were a year ago, and availability can be patchy.

The marigolds are good for stuff that is a bit heavier than disposable nitriles easily cope with, but where you don't want leakage and really don't want a rip. Things like cleaning with chemicals. I started using them to help preserve my disposable box when you really couldn't get them as covid was first kicking off.

« Reply #12 on: 11 October, 2020, 06:49:07 pm »
Marigolds or skin for me

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #13 on: 11 October, 2020, 08:06:58 pm »
I use latex gloves as I find the vinyl ones are too loose, they get caught on stuff. The nitrile ones are okay but I find the latex ones are easier to put on and off. None of them last long. Reusable ones sound a decent idea.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.