Author Topic: Garmin Training Centre / MotionBased  (Read 2448 times)

Garmin Training Centre / MotionBased
« on: 10 January, 2009, 04:42:03 pm »
First impressions is they look a bit crap.

What should I be doing/using to pick apart and analyse rides (and runs in the future)?
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

Craig

Re: Garmin Training Centre / MotionBased
« Reply #1 on: 10 January, 2009, 04:53:07 pm »
I've never tried Garmin Training Center, but can I recommend SportTracks instead.

Its free, and rather good. It can connect to most Garmin GPS devices, and its got loads of stuff for analysing rides etc. There's plenty people on the SportTracks forum who say its much better than Garmin Training Center.

« Reply #2 on: 10 January, 2009, 04:57:13 pm »
Ta, having a look at it now.

Interesting, it does one thing that I wanted to do which was split a track.

Sometimes I'll go down to RP and do one lap and sometimes I'll do 3 or maybe 5. I don't care about the average speed getting there, or coming back, and I prefer not to stop at all.

Will have more of a play.

« Reply #3 on: 10 January, 2009, 07:16:35 pm »
What did you get, GB?

I got a 305 + HRM a few weeks ago, partly for RP purposes. Seems a good little unit.

I haven't played with SportTracks as yet.

« Reply #4 on: 10 January, 2009, 07:21:44 pm »
Forerunner 405.

Partly for running (so I can see my pace) and partly for logging HR along with position/elevation for RP and Surrey Hills training.

« Reply #5 on: 10 January, 2009, 10:32:55 pm »
If you have a Mac try  Ascent . Mind you have to pay for it, no problems yet updated  frequently much better than the crap Training Centre

« Reply #6 on: 11 January, 2009, 11:03:37 pm »
I've not done this very often nor looked at many alternatives, but I spent an afternoon a while back using http://www.gpsvisualizer.com/ to give different views on GPS + heart rate. I found it quite easy to get going.

« Reply #7 on: 21 January, 2009, 03:36:09 pm »
Still playing with Garmin Training Center. Once you get used to it's annoying features then it's quite easy to use.

Luckily the .tcx files are just xml files so it's possible for me to add in the appropriate lap markers and/or remove the bogus/accidental lap markers that get inserted.

« Reply #8 on: 21 January, 2009, 03:42:40 pm »
GTC is easy to use, straightforward, no bells, no whistles.
Sportracks is more advanced, nice features, and has prettier interface - however it works reliably and is also free. You may need a plugin (I did for a 605).
My advice is to get used to GTC, then advance onto Sportracks.
Too many angry people - breathe & relax.

gonzo

« Reply #9 on: 21 January, 2009, 03:49:21 pm »
SportTracks makes the greatest possible use of GPS data and is an utterly great program. The only thing that's missing is the ability of Polar software to add lap markers afterwards and add comments to those markers.

GTC is easy to use, straightforward, no bells, no whistles.
Sportracks is more advanced, nice features, and has prettier interface - however it works reliably and is also free. You may need a plugin (I did for a 605).

Fixed in the latest version