Author Topic: VeloViewer Explorer Score and Max Square  (Read 338622 times)

Re: VeloViewer Explorer Score and Max Square
« Reply #650 on: 10 May, 2019, 06:51:24 pm »
Impressive 944 new tiles would be a great year for me...

« Reply #651 on: 12 May, 2019, 06:57:13 pm »
I started using Strava last year, but was doing more running that riding for a while; during the year my phone GPS became too flaky to use (lots of erratic straight lines as it made best effort with cell location away from towns); I fell off my bike and didn't ride for a bit; and my other GPS got water in it on Exmoor and died. But today I got to 400 tiles, which feels like a round enough number to dip back in here :)

pdm

• Sheffield hills? Nah... Just potholes.
« Reply #652 on: 17 May, 2019, 08:33:08 am »
Trying to bolster my meagre efforts, I went for a 90km pootle up and down the lumps (1800m) in the Peak district on a few new roads yesterday.
Max square up form 14 to 18, Cluster from 351 to 381...
At 27km per tile, I guess I am probably a bit stuck in a rut?

« Reply #653 on: 19 May, 2019, 09:35:14 pm »
Today I connected Brussels to my cluster. So the cluster increased to 4108. I guess that next weekend will take me to new grounds as my total amount of tiles is now 29729, the 30.000 barrier has to be cracked. Apart from that I added 8 more Brussels municipalities to my longterm challenge score, so Brussels is done now. 89 to go before I have all of the municipalities of the Netherlands & Belgium. A request has already been filed to create a longterm challenge for Luxemburg so I can aim at the full BeNeLux.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #654 on: 19 May, 2019, 11:06:25 pm »
Today I connected Brussels to my cluster. So the cluster increased to 4108. I guess that next weekend will take me to new grounds as my total amount of tiles is now 29729, the 30.000 barrier has to be cracked. Apart from that I added 8 more Brussels municipalities to my longterm challenge score, so Brussels is done now. 89 to go before I have all of the municipalities of the Netherlands & Belgium. A request has already been filed to create a longterm challenge for Luxemburg so I can aim at the full BeNeLux.

Got a picture?

Im hoping to complete .NL on the long term challenge this calendar year.

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

« Reply #655 on: 19 May, 2019, 11:26:42 pm »
Got my square to 18*18, still only 471 on my cluster. Some work to do.

« Reply #656 on: 20 May, 2019, 07:09:07 am »

Got a picture?

Im hoping to complete .NL on the long term challenge this calendar year.

J

Since DDS stopped it's fotoalbum I don't have a foto hoster which permits linking anymore :(.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #657 on: 26 May, 2019, 01:25:55 am »

My RatN injuries mean I couldn't do this weekend's BRM400 that went to Texel, so instead I took a train to Den Helder, ferry over, and did a simple 40k, then back to the mainland, and a train to go help out at the finish of the BRM.

Tiles aren't a use for cluster or square, but it adds a municipality for the NL long term challenge. I've now got 91 left, and am just 40 behind Ivo. Can I do 91 before Ivo can do 51... ?

J
--

« Reply #658 on: 26 May, 2019, 10:28:36 pm »
Two days with 100% rain, a productive weekend for square count (+133) but no addition to my cluster or max square.  On Saturday did the circuit from Shieldaig of Bealach na Ba (Eastern Side) and then the Coastal route back to Shieldaig (The North Coast  bit was the harder part of the Bealach with countless steep ups and downs demoralising in the wet- couldn't let loose on descents of surface water and blind corners so the uphills were slogs- death by 1000 cuts.

Today we departed from Achmore, down past Eilean Donan and then up Bealach Rataglan and then down to the Glenelg ferry to Sky where we had a 45 min weight in a wee lighthouse - we spent £15 on honesty box coffee and shortbread in an attempt to keep warm- on the plus side saw my first otter in the wild from the ferry..  The climb to Bealach Udal was another toughie, but from then it was plain sailing to the Skye Bridge- and back to Achmore.

All in all a very wet weekend

« Reply #659 on: 27 May, 2019, 09:21:44 pm »

My RatN injuries mean I couldn't do this weekend's BRM400 that went to Texel, so instead I took a train to Den Helder, ferry over, and did a simple 40k, then back to the mainland, and a train to go help out at the finish of the BRM.

Tiles aren't a use for cluster or square, but it adds a municipality for the NL long term challenge. I've now got 91 left, and am just 40 behind Ivo. Can I do 91 before Ivo can do 51... ?

J

Currently I'm concentrating on the Belgian one as the terrain is better suited for PBP training. My aim is being the first to cover the full Benelux (But first Frank needs to add Luxemburg).

I used a long weekend to add a few more Belgian municipalities and extended my cluster to Tournai. 2 more tiles and my cluster extends to France, adding a 4th country to my cluster.

« Reply #660 on: 27 May, 2019, 10:01:27 pm »
I've just discovered Explorer Score and Max Squares/Clusters thanks to this thread.  Paid up my £10 at the weekend.
I already had a 10x10 square but saw there were a few obvious gaps.  Plotted a route using Strava and upped it to a 14x14 (2 overlapping ones) in a single 50km ride.  Cluster jumped to 317.

Thanks to Veloviewer, I roamed on roads I didn't know existed, found a ruined castle like structure and discovered that Strava routing can mistake muddy farm tracks for roads (luckily I thought it might be the case and took my CX bike rather than my road bike)

Looking forward to using this to find more new roads and exploring further

(need to work out how to add an image here)

d

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #661 on: 27 May, 2019, 10:09:26 pm »
Currently I'm concentrating on the Belgian one as the terrain is better suited for PBP training. My aim is being the first to cover the full Benelux (But first Frank needs to add Luxemburg).

I used a long weekend to add a few more Belgian municipalities and extended my cluster to Tournai. 2 more tiles and my cluster extends to France, adding a 4th country to my cluster.

That's bloody impressive! my cluster barely makes it out of Noord Holland!

How much of Belgium have you got left?

J
--

« Reply #662 on: 27 May, 2019, 10:26:24 pm »

That's bloody impressive! my cluster barely makes it out of Noord Holland!

How much of Belgium have you got left?

J

NL: 304 gemeentes van in totaal 355 (85 %)

BE: 551 gemeentes van in totaal 581 (94 %)

So 51 to go for the Netherlands and 30 for Belgium. The next challenger in the combined classification NL/BE still has 247 municipalities to go while I have 'only' 81 to go. But that includes all of the islands.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #663 on: 27 May, 2019, 10:31:13 pm »
NL: 304 gemeentes van in totaal 355 (85 %)

BE: 551 gemeentes van in totaal 581 (94 %)

So 51 to go for the Netherlands and 30 for Belgium. The next challenger in the combined classification NL/BE still has 247 municipalities to go while I have 'only' 81 to go. But that includes all of the islands.

160 gemeentes van in totaal 581...

Think I'll concentrate on completing the NL set. Tho if .lu gets added, I may try to do the whole country as a single ride... or at the very least, a single weekend.

The islands are a sod to do as the ferry times are not conducive to bagging them all in a single trip :(

J
--

Salvatore

• Джон Спунър
    • Pics
« Reply #664 on: 31 May, 2019, 07:35:33 pm »
I wanted to update VV with my latest ride today, but it saw fit to update not only the new ride but also 423 old ones, which means I've 'lost' a tile and my max square has gone from 34x34 to 29x29. Ah well, now I have a destination for this weekend's ride.

Otherwise:
34673 tiles, average of 2.073 km per tile
Max square 29x29   (bah!)
Max Cluster: 1657
et avec John, excellent lecteur de road-book, on s'en est sortis sans erreur

« Reply #665 on: 31 May, 2019, 08:06:43 pm »
Ticked off the north side of Heathrow on my way to WCW. That’s upped my max square to 20. Can’t have done anything good for my lungs though.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #666 on: 02 June, 2019, 11:11:24 am »
Yesterday's pootle increased the number of tiles by 1 and the max cluster by 1  :thumbsup:

« Reply #667 on: 03 June, 2019, 02:04:39 pm »
48km ride around Guildford scheduled for day off next Monday which should take me up from 18x18 to 21x21 and first VV specific ride since November last year.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

pdm

• Sheffield hills? Nah... Just potholes.
« Reply #668 on: 09 June, 2019, 09:00:51 pm »
Still on 18x18 here... (sigh)
Have planned a couple of 120km Peak Destruct rides (~3500m climbing) to take it up to 20x20. Now just need to get around to doing them!

« Reply #669 on: 17 June, 2019, 11:51:21 pm »
I've been a bit quiet - I managed to push my square up to 39x39 (you can get over to Holwick Scar from Lunedale, just), and knocked off a load of tiles in the Lakes, and planned a grand procession home to knock off the linking tiles and make a coast-to-coast, but I shagged my knee, and since then I've been slowly recovering and ticking off a few more as circumstances permitted.

Yesterday, I finally rode Thistlewood Lane down into Wolsingham (Oakey country), and today I knocked off a few more around Alnwick and Shitbottle. I reckon I only need a dozen or so more tiles to link my cluster up into Scotland (currently 3466). The square is going to be a right bastard to extend, and I'm probably going to need to dig out some hiking boots as there are no tracks up in the Pennines.

« Reply #670 on: 22 June, 2019, 01:57:00 pm »
I haven't done any cluster enhancing rides for ages.  This morning's 50 mile ride targeting some tiles near Lambourn added ~60, so now on 778.

IMG_Ashbury by a oxon, on Flickr

IMG_Lambourn byway by a oxon, on Flickr
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #671 on: 22 June, 2019, 10:00:34 pm »

Comedy off roading, headwinds, poor road surfaces. The full sustrans experience... In Noord Holland. finally picked off a tile that I needed a ferry to get to a small polder, then to cycle round the overgrown footpath. Cluster up by 4. Added another 24 tiles in total. Also completed Noord Holland for the long term challenge. My ratio of tiles to cluster to square is somewhat out of whack...

J
--

Graeme

• @fatherhilarious.blog 🦋
    • Graeme's Blog
« Reply #672 on: 28 June, 2019, 06:34:05 pm »
One tile near Yarm International Airport was all I needed to link Hull, York, Middlesbrough, Darlington and Durham. Next mission is to add the cluster near Masham. Max square solidly not moving until I take an off road trip into the Wolds of Yorkshire.

« Reply #673 on: 30 June, 2019, 08:05:21 pm »
Half year report - slowish start with lots of little bits and pieces, but picking up with new rides and some fillers in the last 6 weeks.  A lot of new rides planned for July and August should see cluster increase and maybe even max square too...(currently cluster 765, square still 11x11 and tiles at 2282)

infographic 20190630 by , on Flickr

« Reply #674 on: 30 June, 2019, 11:43:28 pm »
I went out this weekend to execute a long planned trip to advance the southern border of my 44x44 square. Plan was to ride to the South Downs from SW London after work on Friday. Bivi on the ridge and then harvest on Saturday. Most of these were off road and had as a result evaded me.

I reached Ditchling Beacon at about 21:00 and then headed along the South Downs way before dropping down into Lewes for dinner. On a rocky bridleway on the way down I gashed the sidewall. I put a worm in (tales of the tubeless). I struggled to get this to seal properly, had to pump every 30min. Put a tube in after breakfast.
After dinner found a good bivi spot up high out of reach of the doggers.
tar
Had some great riding on Saturday. I've been on the South Downs Way many times, but it was great to get amongst these "new" valleys. Very few people.

Received a domestic recall and so had to cut the ride short. Only 26 tiles of the 48 target. Good to save some for next time I guess.

Some photos and videos: https://flic.kr/s/aHsmEEhH3K