Author Topic: Elephant in the room  (Read 2068 times)

fruitcake

• some kind of fruitcake
Re: Elephant in the room
« Reply #50 on: Yesterday at 01:43:58 pm »
14mph seems a sensible and informative ride descriptor. Enough people have either a phone/GPS or a cycle computer to know if they can maintain 14mph. Social on the other hand means different things to different people, and so newcomers may misinterpret it as 'bimbling pace'.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #51 on: Yesterday at 01:55:10 pm »
Are the ride descriptions aimed at newcomers or those who are already club members? I'd presume the latter, unless it's specifically marked as a newbies' ride.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #52 on: Yesterday at 05:36:17 pm »
Numeric speed bands "on the flat" do not work to differentiate riders of different ability in a road club because (a) riding in an even moderately tight group you can achieve much faster speeds than riding alone and (b) mismatched groups are usually able to stay together on the flat, but the group falls to bits on the climbs, often drastically so.

Really groups should be differentiated by W/kg which corresponds closely to speed up hills, but in the absence of that most group names and numbers are really proxies for "That group contains Greg and Dave, who I know are about the same speed as me", which is fine for regulars but useless for newbies, or for that one week both Greg and Dave are away.

« Reply #53 on: Yesterday at 05:57:45 pm »
Numeric speed bands "on the flat" do not work to differentiate riders of different ability in a road club because (a) riding in an even moderately tight group you can achieve much faster speeds than riding alone and (b) mismatched groups are usually able to stay together on the flat, but the group falls to bits on the climbs, often drastically so.

This is true, but it generally only happens in any meaningful way on large climbs, of which there generally aren't more than two or three on your average club run*  and it is therefore feasible for riders to assemble at the top of a big climb if people drop off. 

In the club I occasionally ride in there are three speed groups. Sometimes these groups might subdivide again.

There only time I've encountered a problem is with one particular dickhead who doesn't ride for months then turns up and expects to ride in the the group he always rides in (the middle one) because he's "not a shit rider".

Well, he is pretty shit and If the ride starts with a major climb (not unlikely if you live in a Cotswold valley)he drops off straight away.

We are then faced with the dilemma of wondering if he's decided to ride appropriately with the slowest group.  If you make the mistake of thinking he has then 30 minutes later he appears shouting, swearing and screaming that we didn't wait for him. Absolute selfish twat.

*Club in Cotswolds, so generally hillier rides than most I'd guess.

« Reply #54 on: Yesterday at 05:58:20 pm »
Obviously, this should be a degree subject.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #55 on: Yesterday at 05:59:17 pm »
The problem arises when there's no other choice of club in your area.  I can't ride with clubs anyway these days, as most have a mandatory helmet rule.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

ravenbait

• Someone's imaginary friend
  • No, RB3, you can't have more tupperware.
    • Someone's imaginary friend
« Reply #56 on: Yesterday at 06:23:55 pm »
The problem arises when there's no other choice of club in your area.  I can't ride with clubs anyway these days, as most have a mandatory helmet rule.
The only times I've tried to join a club (more than one time, more than one club) they've flat out refused to have me on the grounds I only have one eye, so screw the lot of them. But clubs are not obligated to cater to everyone, even if they are the only ones in an area.

Sam
https://ravenbait.com
"Created something? Hah! But that would be irresponsible! And unethical! I would never, ever make... more than one."

« Reply #57 on: Yesterday at 06:40:40 pm »
In the club I occasionally ride in there are three speed groups. Sometimes these groups might subdivide again.

There only time I've encountered a problem is with one particular dickhead who doesn't ride for months then turns up and expects to ride in the the group he always rides in (the middle one) because he's "not a shit rider".

Well, he is pretty shit and If the ride starts with a major climb (not unlikely if you live in a Cotswold valley)he drops off straight away.

We are then faced with the dilemma of wondering if he's decided to ride appropriately with the slowest group.  If you make the mistake of thinking he has then 30 minutes later he appears shouting, swearing and screaming that we didn't wait for him. Absolute selfish twat.

LMAO!!!!
Made me laugh anyway!

Mind you, I know how he feels. I've lost count of the number of times I've returned home to arrivee on an audax only to find the controller's hastily washing up the cups and my car is the only one remaining in the car park :-)
Garry Broad