Author Topic: Low-level laser therapy for dogs  (Read 3759 times)

Low-level laser therapy for dogs
« on: 07 September, 2022, 10:57:52 pm »
Does anyone have experience of LLLT for dogs? Our 3-year old Lab has picked up a small fracture in one of his front metacarpals, and we're desperate to avoid surgical intervention. We've rested him but, in all honesty, probably not as much as we've needed to. He had his first LLLT session today and, while they seemed very thorough and business-like, I'm aware that they're not vets and I remain slightly sceptical. After all, if it's that effective, LLLT would be offered by vets, wouldn't it?

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
Re: Low-level laser therapy for dogs
« Reply #1 on: 07 September, 2022, 11:13:39 pm »
I can ask my vet friends, I know that laser treatment is becoming more of a thing.
It is simpler than it looks.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #2 on: 08 September, 2022, 07:37:43 am »
I had LLLT for a minor back injury in the 80's.  The effect was undetectable.  Haven't seen laser kit in a fizzy's practice since.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #3 on: 08 September, 2022, 07:40:19 am »
As my field is biomedical optics, I probably ought to have heard of this, but I hadn't. A quick survey of the field suggests the following:

1. Scientific evidence is contradictory, some experiments have shown an effect, some haven't.
2. There's a whole load of bad science done on this, there are lots of parameters to vary in the light applied (let alone what you are trying to treat with LLLT) which have generally been ignored, which means that any conclusions reached are fairly meaningless anyway. The general approach seems to be just to point a laser at an injury and see what happens.
3. As ever, the big problem on working on in vivo targets is that they very variable - enough so that any small effect will be masked by the variability.
4. As the wavelengths and powers used, light won't do any damage to the body (except the eyes).

So as things stand, my opinion is that it won't do any harm and might just do some good. But as no-one's actually worked out the power density/irradiance/exposure time/wavelength that will encourage healing, nor what tissues it will be effective on, it's a long shot. But it's unlikely that there will be much difference between the effects on dogs and humans.

« Reply #4 on: 09 September, 2022, 04:30:12 pm »
What is the supposed mechanism?

Back about 40 years ago it was a thing on expensive racehorses in Australia; but there is (was?) a load of hokum about horses (it wasn't vets doing this).

Would there really be any effect (using a laser) that you wouldn't get using a heat lamp to stimulate blood flow?
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #5 on: 09 September, 2022, 04:33:23 pm »
Thanks for the replies folks.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #6 on: 09 September, 2022, 06:16:29 pm »

Logically, it's either heating the tissue (in which case other means would be equally effective), or it's causing some sort of chemical reaction, which would surely mostly happen in the skin?

I'd file it in the same category as the ultrasonic bone-healing stimulation thing that the hospital are currently failing to provide for barakta:  Might help, largely unproven, mostly harmless.

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #7 on: 09 September, 2022, 06:24:38 pm »
It sounds like it might belong in the same category as chiropractics; it provides a dramatic show, but the outcomes are probably mostly placebotic.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #8 on: 10 September, 2022, 10:19:10 am »
It sounds like it might belong in the same category as chiropractics; it provides a dramatic show, but the outcomes are probably mostly placebotic.

With the placebo effect occurring in the owner rather than the patient.  When we moved to Alsace in 1989 the first vet we found turned out to be a raving homeopath who damn near killed one of our dogs by with his pie-eyed handling of an ear abscess. Long story but she was left with epilepsy.  The same charlatan once "hypnotised" a neighbour's cat by telephone then sent a bill.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #9 on: 10 September, 2022, 10:23:01 am »

The owner hands over their credit card details and money is transferred from them to the operators of the procedure.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #10 on: 10 September, 2022, 04:42:27 pm »
Update: Laser treatment on arthritis works well, I am told. Not sure about fractures.
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #11 on: 10 September, 2022, 07:42:48 pm »
Well, it was worth the cost of the treatment just to get this picture:

« Reply #12 on: 10 September, 2022, 07:43:54 pm »
Thanks again for the replies, input appreciated.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #13 on: 10 September, 2022, 09:55:03 pm »
Well, it was worth the cost of the treatment just to get this picture:

;D

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse