Author Topic: What language would you like to speak?  (Read 10003 times)

Naggers

• Lost in a daze
Re: What language would you like to speak?
« Reply #50 on: 08 April, 2008, 05:19:23 am »
Went to Russia in 2000 and loved the language so much that when I came back I signed up for an Adult Education course.
Unfortunatley it seemed that I was the only person in Bedfordshire to sign up and the course was pulled before it started  :(

« Reply #51 on: 08 April, 2008, 10:27:39 am »
"traditional" approach (rather than using romaji for everything)

Would certainly recommend this - romaji may seem easy and convenient but it's really quite hard to wean yourself away from; it's next thing to useless in both cultural and communicative terms (Japanese don't dislike romaji; they just don't use them for anything more than proper names. A bit like writing English in IPA  ;))

IIRC to be able to read a newspaper one needs around 1,900 kanji

But you can go a long way towards making sense of one with fewer than half this number  :)

« Reply #52 on: 08 April, 2008, 10:31:52 pm »
IIRC to be able to read a newspaper one needs around 1,900 kanji. If I learn one a day then that should only take 6 years or so.  :-\

My boss, who is Japanese, gets a Japanese newspaper delivered at work every day. The delivery driver jokes with me that he has my newspaper for me to read.
I sometimes complain to the delivery driver that I can never find the crossword.
I still don't know if he gets the joke.
It doesn't have a topless model on page 3 either. I have checked.

ian

« Reply #53 on: 09 April, 2008, 12:11:27 pm »
"traditional" approach (rather than using romaji for everything)

Would certainly recommend this - romaji may seem easy and convenient but it's really quite hard to wean yourself away from; it's next thing to useless in both cultural and communicative terms (Japanese don't dislike romaji; they just don't use them for anything more than proper names. A bit like writing English in IPA  ;))

IIRC to be able to read a newspaper one needs around 1,900 kanji

But you can go a long way towards making sense of one with fewer than half this number  :)

As said, romaji is only really used for proper [western] names where a katakana hasn't been adopted. You wouldn't normally use romaji beyond that - other than for computer data entry where other options don't exist.

One of the Japanese printers I've worked with once claimed there were potentially 50,000 kanji characters, but Japanese typesetting systems cover 10,000. The official list (as taught to Japanese schoolchildren) is about 2000. You will indeed manage fine with knowledge of a 1000 - probably a lot less if you don't mind reaching for a reference book periodically.

Of course, this assumes you know enough hiragana to make sense of the kanji. Otherwise it's a bit like having random names and phrases shouted at you.

Zoidburg

« Reply #54 on: 09 April, 2008, 06:14:59 pm »
Klingon