Author Topic: CrAcKpOt  (Read 87779 times)

Hummers

• It is all about the taste.
Re: CrAcKpOt
« Reply #375 on: 17 October, 2016, 09:33:55 pm »
Has any Wessex aficionado noticed that Porkers 400 is Sunday 07 May, rather than the Bank Holiday weekend?

Postie has and mentioned it last Saturday.

Not sure if this deliberate or not though.

H

« Reply #376 on: 17 October, 2016, 09:34:14 pm »
Has any Wessex aficionado noticed that Porkers 400 is Sunday 07 May, rather than the Bank Holiday weekend?

Yup - watch this (& that) space.

Smeth

• less Grimpeur than Whimpeur...
« Reply #377 on: 17 October, 2016, 09:34:22 pm »
Brimstone 27th May. Personally can't do crackpot and mille pennines and LEL in short order but have thought about providing support for a group. Exmoor at night, Camp/mattresses/feeds at a couple of suitable locations. Would be good to avoid Postie's 300 10th June.

« Reply #378 on: 17 October, 2016, 10:06:30 pm »

Wheels are turning.  One way or another it's likely to move.

Smeth

« Reply #379 on: 18 October, 2016, 09:32:46 pm »
The bridge between Shillingford and Child Okeford is now open again. It's cost us all some time. Only took a year, though a new cycle route was involved.

Jonah

• Audax Club Hackney
« Reply #380 on: 20 October, 2016, 11:20:15 am »
OK folks
Gadge & me will be attempting 01-Jun-2017 - 04-Jun-2017
Shawn has given us the go-ahead for a group perm if you'd like to join us?

JonB

• Granny Ring ... Yes Please!
« Reply #381 on: 20 October, 2016, 11:34:43 am »
OK folks

This really appeals (and it would be good to put team Mille Pennine back together :)) but my tentative plans for this year include the Wessex SR series and the Brimstone is only a few days before on the 27th May and that wouldn't work for me on a number of levels. I guess the only option would be to perm the Brimstone but having read all the reports I'd favour doing that as a calendar ride. Hmmm ...

« Reply #382 on: 20 October, 2016, 12:27:27 pm »
OK folks

Tempting - although there's a half-term hols conflict for me by the looks of it ...

Do my family really need me to be there I wonder .... ? 

andyp

• Andrew Preston
« Reply #383 on: 20 October, 2016, 08:25:04 pm »
... if you'd like to join us?

It's in the diary!

Bianchi Boy

• Cycling is my doctor
  • Is it possible for a ride to be too long?
    • Reading Cycling Club
« Reply #384 on: 20 October, 2016, 08:54:28 pm »
... if you'd like to join us?

It's in the diary!
I am on holiday with my wife. Can I change the dates of the Hay Festival?
Set a fire for a man and he will be warm for a day, set a man on fire and he is warm for the rest of his life.

Jonah

• Audax Club Hackney
« Reply #385 on: 20 October, 2016, 09:06:45 pm »
OK Folks
Strong interest so far!

Role call...

Jonah
Gadge
AndyP
Bruce
Ivan
Omar
Hummers (pending authorisation)
Joolz
J.J.Dennis
Sharpie
Anthony 'Bambi' Powis
Marcus JB

I'm working on a short stop at Copse House Cider to see Bob and a Mummy & Daddy Jonah operated control somewhere in the Dahr'zet Bush...

Smeth

« Reply #386 on: 20 October, 2016, 09:11:58 pm »
Definite mebbie. I'd offered support above though if it's this far ahead of M. Pennines I'm hopeful of riding. As a local yokel can probably still help with some support as well.

« Reply #387 on: 20 October, 2016, 09:44:42 pm »
Wow Jonah - looks like this is actually going to happen ! Well done.

If I can't ride it for family reasons, I'd definitely be up for helping organise a control somewhere. Bristol/Bath area maybe ?

How are you planning to ride this by the way - euraudax style or every man for himself ?

Jonah

• Audax Club Hackney
« Reply #388 on: 20 October, 2016, 09:45:49 pm »
Stick your name down Smetho - would be good to 'ave some local konowledge...  ;)

Jonah

• Audax Club Hackney
« Reply #389 on: 20 October, 2016, 09:50:46 pm »
Wow Jonah - looks like this is actually going to happen ! Well done.

If I can't ride it for family reasons, I'd definitely be up for helping organise a control somewhere. Bristol/Bath area maybe ?

How are you planning to ride this by the way - euraudax style or every man for himself ?

Thanks Matey!
I reckon we could all start together and get round in the time given - in my experience there's never much time left at the end so we're bound too bump into each other and fall asleep next too next each other and hallucinate near someone else that looks like a crow-bush monster that leaps out from the twighlight

If we had some defo controls this would also encourage a more Group(ie feel)-Diy (perhaps this could be a new kind of ride?)

Jonah

• Audax Club Hackney
« Reply #390 on: 20 October, 2016, 09:58:31 pm »
Bob said "Paaahup inn negzt toime yer pahssi 'n' say ellow"
He lives (and works very well) at New Barn Yard Sandley, Gillingham SP8 5DZ but I can't remember which leg that as on?

« Reply #391 on: 21 October, 2016, 04:49:44 am »
I'm very tempted but haven't done anything longer a (solo) hilly 500.

Would I be setting myself up for failure?

« Reply #392 on: 21 October, 2016, 08:07:54 am »
Count me in too please. I'm becoming slightly obsessed with this ride, I have to give it a go.
Think my partner would be happy to stamp cards as Halstock control if that helps at all  ???

Alex  :thumbsup:

« Reply #393 on: 21 October, 2016, 09:24:42 am »
I'm becoming slightly obsessed with this ride, I have to give it a go.

It's like an infectious disease !

I'd recommend riding it as the cure.  :demon:

« Reply #394 on: 21 October, 2016, 10:41:32 am »

Just noticed Porkers is now on the 29th April at 1400 - but as a BR.

« Reply #395 on: 21 October, 2016, 02:19:17 pm »
I've enjoyed following this thread over the last year or so and, like others, have been inspired to add this to my 'must do' list. Now there is chat of a group perm and I'm getting very excited! Only trouble is that I need to get down from Edinburgh first and the dates don't quite work for me, as I have to be back home early on Sunday June 4th. I know it's still a long way out but for those who are driving the organisation of a group bash, have you any thoughts about when you might start on the Thursday? If I could negotiate things with Shaun I could fly to Bristol and, following GPS's lead, start at Keynsham and hopefully approach Poole as you are all setting out. It would be nice to think that there are others out there on the road suffering at the same time as me, even if we don't spend that long in each other's company.
Your next 1200's your best 1200.

« Reply #396 on: 21 October, 2016, 03:05:45 pm »
He lives (and works very well) at New Barn Yard Sandley, Gillingham SP8 5DZ but I can't remember which leg that as on?

:thumbsup:

That's about 670k in, bang on the route just after Zeals on the way down to Dorchester, should be sometime around early evening on Day 3

Memories of our ride-ending late night visit to the Fox in Corscombe weigh heavy on my mind though ...

« Reply #397 on: 21 October, 2016, 05:34:33 pm »
Memories of our ride-ending late night visit to the Fox in Corscombe weigh heavy on my mind though ...

As long as there is a dirty laundry bin full of napkins to cover yourself in, you'll be fine.
“That slope may look insignificant, but it's going to be my destiny" - Fitzcarraldo

Smeth

« Reply #398 on: 21 October, 2016, 05:40:47 pm »
Thought about setting up a weatherproof group bivvy somewhere for the last nap/feed. Night 3. Bulbarrow to Codford area or similar. Or is this against the spirit of hedge snorkling!? If I ride it would have to be diy, I.e. help self to stash of food/ drink/ spares. Crash on provided mats etc., maybe all my sleeping bags laid out. Might be possible for night 2 also. For me night 1 would be ride-through.

Jonah

• Audax Club Hackney
« Reply #399 on: 21 October, 2016, 06:12:34 pm »

:thumbsup:

That's about 670k in, bang on the route just after Zeals on the way down to Dorchester, should be sometime around early evening on Day 3

A crisp pint of Landshire medium three quarters of the way around one of the biggest ball-busting rides this side of Nagasaki never did I any 'arm