Author Topic: Velo Ville  (Read 7455 times)

Re: Velo Ville
« Reply #25 on: 15 November, 2018, 11:11:02 am »
Sure you are doing this anyway but some interesting info sites out there.

https://www.frenchentree.com/france-forum/topic/setting-up-small-rural-campsite-where-to-start/
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #26 on: 15 November, 2018, 02:20:52 pm »
Umm. That might just kill it stone dead...
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

« Reply #27 on: 15 November, 2018, 06:06:03 pm »
I'm good friends with the guy that runs Breton Bikes and Camping Tost Aven on Central Brittanny - I know it heps that they're on one of the Eurovelo routes. Feel free to pm me if ypu want me to have a chat with him, we'll be seeing him and his wife during the Christmas break.
Reine de la Fauche

Speshact

• Charlie
« Reply #28 on: 16 November, 2018, 12:28:54 pm »
Oh no, now you've got me googling for campsites for sale and this caught my eye (check out especially the alley names on the campsite layout map)
http://www.leggett-immo.com/acheter-vendre-une-maison/view/84634LCH03/Maison-a-vendre-a--allier-auvergne-france

« Reply #29 on: 16 November, 2018, 12:45:32 pm »
Well it is for libertines after all.

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #30 on: 16 November, 2018, 02:31:20 pm »
Oh no, now you've got me googling for campsites for sale and this caught my eye (check out especially the alley names on the campsite layout map)
http://www.leggett-immo.com/acheter-vendre-une-maison/view/84634LCH03/Maison-a-vendre-a--allier-auvergne-france

2 mill. Hang on, let me check behind the sofa ...
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

« Reply #31 on: 16 November, 2018, 03:28:59 pm »
Plus legal, plus agency. plus land registry and VAT peut etre.

vantage

• As quick as a slug on crutches towing a snail whilst wading through a salt mine!
« Reply #32 on: 30 December, 2018, 10:22:33 am »
Health and financials aside, it's something I'd love to do so I say go for it.
However, off season, how will you get through it? A site my fiancee and I regularly stay at is open to tenters year round but caravanners/motorhomers are banned during the colder, wetter months so there's less chance of them getting stuck.
Their main income is from farming so the tractor is handy for pulling out eejits who sink their glass fibre palaces.
It's a 7 day a week 52 week a year job from dawn to dusk with F all chance of getting away for the owners, but they don't mind as they love it.
Older age. Will you be able to cope when the wrinkles are more pronounced and what happens if/when you can't?
Bill

“Ride as much or as little, or as long or as short as you feel. But ride.” ~ Eddy Merckx

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #33 on: 30 December, 2018, 01:49:54 pm »
Things I'd like to see:

A full toolkit available to service bikes, like they have at some youth hostels
A workstand or two, ditto
A hosepipe to wash off the mud
A washer and dryer so I can launder my shorts
All this advertised on the website  so I know to come and use them

Will I fight them on the beaches to come over and baptise it?  Naturallement!

Adam

• It'll soon be summer
    • Charity ride Durness to Dover 18-25th June 2011
« Reply #34 on: 30 December, 2018, 02:29:08 pm »
Sounds like a brilliant idea!

“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving.” -Albert Einstein

guidon

• formerly known as cyclone
« Reply #35 on: 30 December, 2018, 07:41:41 pm »
As one who hasn't run back home to Blighty - my main preoccupation would be money.....namely the cost of living here is becoming outrageous so think hard about a plan b (or if you have a good pension....) In my case my pension isn't so therefore I'm looking at "working" till the wooden box comes. Eventhough I earn more than the average wage here we don't have any spare at the end of the month!!! Message me if you want more info John.

« Reply #36 on: 30 December, 2018, 09:10:33 pm »
Have a word with bretonbikes, who posted a similar advice/suggestions topic on the CTC forum, and is now running a site in Gouarec, Britanny
https://forum.cyclinguk.org/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=104573&p=1188562

Karla

• car(e) free
« Reply #37 on: 31 December, 2018, 01:21:12 am »
Another thing to justify the 'bike site' brand: have routes of varying difficulties worked out and printed on nicely designed cards, so people can rock up and do some rides of their liking without having to plan anything.  Again, advertise this so you can make a thing out of being "your one stop solution to a cycling holiday in France".

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #38 on: 31 December, 2018, 02:05:33 pm »
Another thing to justify the 'bike site' brand: have routes of varying difficulties worked out and printed on nicely designed cards, so people can rock up and do some rides of their liking without having to plan anything.  Again, advertise this do you can make a thing out of being "your one stop solution to a cycling holiday in France".

Has recovery service been mentioned?  People might pay good money for you to come out in a suitable vehicle to return them and bike to the campsite in the event of a puncture / b0rked knee / bad case of cafe legs.  Set the fee high enough that people don't use it too often.

« Reply #39 on: 31 December, 2018, 03:15:54 pm »
Many of these wonderful ideas are ones that would deter me from visiting.  They sound more like permanent cycling holiday camps or rally sites than camp sites for the itinerate tourist - i.e  people like me who seek out small municipal sites with minimal facilities.

Karla

• car(e) free
« Reply #40 on: 31 December, 2018, 03:35:00 pm »
This itinerant tourist would and does divert out of his way to find a good set of tools and an understanding host and has no objection to other people riding set routes, building fires, talking to each other or whatever else they do.  Do you object?

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #41 on: 31 December, 2018, 03:46:05 pm »
Other people building fires and talking to each other are to be encouraged (as long as they don't set fire to things like tents or trees, or talk so loudly that they keep me awake, both of which are pretty rare).
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #42 on: 31 December, 2018, 03:54:37 pm »
I'm certainly not an expert, but I'm pretty certain you'd have to work your balls off to make absolutely no money. Well, maybe enough to just about cover the bills, but no more than that. Also the French absolutely love red tape and that could give you issues. And as others have mentioned - Twaxit....
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

« Reply #43 on: 31 December, 2018, 04:01:51 pm »
This itinerant tourist would and does divert out of his way to find a good set of tools and an understanding host and has no objection to other people riding set routes, building fires, talking to each other or whatever else they do.  Do you object?
Not at all.  it just is not for me.  Different people, different ways.