Author Topic: Random audax questions  (Read 391024 times)

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
Re: Random audax questions
« Reply #700 on: 09 November, 2014, 05:57:34 pm »
If an organiser sends in his results very promptly and if both validation sec and the recorder are sat waitng by their computers instead of out riding their bikes, and if the new automated ACP process works as intended for BRMs, then the whole thing could, in theory, be complete on the AUK website in about a week. 

That's an awful lot of IFs though, and in reality I doubt you'll see many approach that sort of speed.

In previous PBP years a turnround of sub 24h has been achieved, for the final qualifiers.  Though that was exceptional, 3-4 days has proved quite do-able provided of course that everyone involved is willing.

Change of topic
I've seen this question asked a few times, and I can't remember where, so I'll answer it here -
it is now possible, if you log in to your 'my details' page on the AUK website, to choose your ACP club allocation.  Later in the season you'll find it becomes locked and inaccessible (like it was this year, this is because ACP likes it that way) so you have a couple of months to do this, that's all.  You don't have to do it, but the option is there.
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #701 on: 09 November, 2014, 06:13:00 pm »
Shame we can't correct misspelt club names.

(Anyone know a good web hacker?)
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #702 on: 10 November, 2014, 10:48:56 pm »
Can anyone recommend a good quality head torch for night rides.
Season 1 - 211 AAA Points, 120 Club points,  PBP 72h, ISR, Welsh SR, Easter Arrow, Hyper Rand, AAA Champion, ACB Team and CTC champions

« Reply #703 on: 11 November, 2014, 06:30:48 am »
Only those that dare to go too far, know how far they can go.   T S Elliot

« Reply #704 on: 11 November, 2014, 08:35:23 am »
Great, thanks very much.
Season 1 - 211 AAA Points, 120 Club points,  PBP 72h, ISR, Welsh SR, Easter Arrow, Hyper Rand, AAA Champion, ACB Team and CTC champions

« Reply #705 on: 30 November, 2014, 06:59:08 pm »
Can someone tell me what a 'free control' is please

« Reply #706 on: 30 November, 2014, 07:06:10 pm »
Free choice of commercial control - pick whichever cafe, shop or petrol station you fancy in the relevant town, get a receipt, and you're away.

« Reply #707 on: 30 November, 2014, 07:13:56 pm »
Thanks

« Reply #708 on: 03 December, 2014, 07:35:31 pm »

Do Brevet cards have a 'ride by date'? I ordered and planned to do some rides at the back end of last season, which didn't happen. I'm now looking at riding them in the new year.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #709 on: 03 December, 2014, 07:45:15 pm »
It depends on the perm organiser. Some perm entries expire, some don't.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #710 on: 03 December, 2014, 08:04:10 pm »

OK thanks. I'll ask him.

National 400
« Reply #711 on: 11 December, 2014, 10:26:33 pm »
Can anyone tell we where and when, any link?

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #712 on: 11 December, 2014, 10:46:50 pm »
For what?

« Reply #713 on: 11 December, 2014, 10:53:28 pm »
National 400 :)

« Reply #714 on: 11 December, 2014, 10:54:01 pm »
National 400?

There was something in the latest Arrivee (which I don't have to hand), but it's not in the calendar yet. Keep an eye out.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #715 on: 11 December, 2014, 10:58:07 pm »
Not listed in the AUK calendar, so I suspect a link will show up sometime after Christmas. It is still 2014, so a little early yet to be concerned about a summer 2015 event.

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #716 on: 11 December, 2014, 11:06:24 pm »
25 July, starting from Dingwall, and heading north.

Cycling Daddy

• "We shall have an adventure by and by," said Don Q
« Reply #717 on: 12 December, 2014, 07:28:21 am »
Not listed in the AUK calendar, so I suspect a link will show up sometime after Christmas. It is still 2014, so a little early yet to be concerned about a summer 2015 event.
The National 400 and other events are likely to appear sometime in January.  The next deadline for submitting events is the start of January.  The National 400 sounds like  fantastic ride
L
Too much sanity may be madness. And maddest of all, to see life as it is and not as it should be.”
― Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra, Don Quixote

« Reply #718 on: 14 December, 2014, 12:24:18 pm »
For perm events, if due to say machical failure your average speed for the intermediary control points is below the overall permitted lower speed for the event in total of 14.3km, but by the final control you have made up the time so average overall is about the minimum speed / maximum time permitted will this be ok for sign off by th orangiser?

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #719 on: 14 December, 2014, 01:40:25 pm »
Strictly speaking, no and some organisers will strictly follow the rule. On the other hand, many organisers are willing to take appropriate mitigating circumstances into account.

Plead your case and accept their decision with good grace, knowing that you have not strictly followed the rule.

« Reply #720 on: 16 December, 2014, 09:49:49 am »
Ok thanks for reply, fingers crossed

« Reply #721 on: 17 December, 2014, 07:12:04 am »
I did a DIY200 by gps on 5th dec which Paul validated on 6th dec - it's not yet showing as a provisional result on the AUK website.  Do I just wait as everybody is clearly busy at this time of year?  How long should I wait? (Only interested as I wanted to claim RRTY2) :)

« Reply #722 on: 17 December, 2014, 07:41:45 am »

SO tempted by this  :thumbsup:---wonderful route up to Durness and back  ;D ---just unsure about travel time / round trip of 900 miles with very little a`leave available (PBP requiring significant portion thereof)
....after the `tarte de pommes`, and  fortified by a couple of shots of limoncellos,  I flew up the Col de Bavella whilst thunderstorms rolled around the peaks above

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #723 on: 17 December, 2014, 10:26:00 am »
For perm events, if due to say machical failure your average speed for the intermediary control points is below the overall permitted lower speed for the event in total of 14.3km, but by the final control you have made up the time so average overall is about the minimum speed / maximum time permitted will this be ok for sign off by th orangiser?

I had the opposite problem in 2007 on the Poor Student perm as the till receipt at the first control indicated that I had done some fantastickal average - about 45 km/h IIRC - for the first leg.  NikW did not quibble :thumbsup:
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #724 on: 17 December, 2014, 10:38:27 am »

SO tempted by this  :thumbsup:---wonderful route up to Durness and back  ;D ---just unsure about travel time / round trip of 900 miles with very little a`leave available (PBP requiring significant portion thereof)

There are cheap flights to Inverness from Luton and Gatwick. I often wonder how easy it would be to courier a bike to a depot for collection. If it was possible to pick up the bike at the railway station and leave it there, that would simplify matters.