Author Topic: Wetherspoons proof of passage  (Read 2761 times)

Diesel

• or Richard
Wetherspoons proof of passage
« on: 23 January, 2022, 08:49:32 pm »
Just wondering about how to get  a Wetherspoons receipt as proof of passage on a calendar event if you order with the app? (may apply to to other retailers as well) - for those events that need a receipt

Love the convenience of sitting and ordering by the app, even sitting with the bike outside. But the only receipt is emailed. Maybe this could be used, but to be honest you could buy stuff on the app without being there.

Can you still order at the till in Wetherspoons?

Anyone had this issue yet?

Re: Wetherspoons proof of passage
« Reply #1 on: 23 January, 2022, 08:59:45 pm »
You can order at till. I don’t carry a smartphone on audaxes

telstarbox

• Loving the lanes
« Reply #2 on: 23 January, 2022, 09:28:48 pm »
If the control is specifically at the Spoons the org should allow for this possibility (although you can still order at till). I imagine the staff could give you a duplicate order receipt.

If the whole town is a control the org should allow for a variety of receipt formats as they may not know all the possible businesses themselves. Some corner shops issue very minimal receipts and may not show the date / time / business name.

If it was me I would accept a selfie from the relevant beer garden but as ever, it's for the org to decide.
2019 🏅 R1000 and B1000

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #3 on: 24 January, 2022, 08:41:28 am »
Isn't this just a specific case of the more general point:

"Anyone with a computer and printer can fake a receipt!"

What should be done about it?
Answer: Nothing.
It's looking for a solution to a non-existent problem, IMHO.

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #4 on: 24 January, 2022, 08:43:20 am »
If the control is specifically at the Spoons the org should allow for this possibility (although you can still order at till). I imagine the staff could give you a duplicate order receipt.

If the whole town is a control the org should allow for a variety of receipt formats as they may not know all the possible businesses themselves. Some corner shops issue very minimal receipts and may not show the date / time / business name.

If it was me I would accept a selfie from the relevant beer garden but as ever, it's for the org to decide.

If we're accepting a selfi, then an emailed receipt would work too?
Regards,

Joergen

Diesel

• or Richard
« Reply #5 on: 24 January, 2022, 10:46:28 am »
Selfie makes sense. The point is that wetherspoon email (as an example) can be generated without being there.

You may be right saying this is a non-existent problem. We don't want a heavily policed solution, part of what we do is about trust.

Phil suggests a pragmatic answer in this case

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
« Reply #6 on: 24 January, 2022, 11:21:41 am »
If you want to order with the app (so you can stay next to your bike outside) and therefore don't get the till receipt then just get an atm receipt before leaving the town. We are talking about open controls after all.
The organiser at the end is not grading you on what you ate and drank. (at least I hope not)

Eddington  127miles, 170km

« Reply #7 on: 24 January, 2022, 01:20:42 pm »
If you ask for a receipt they will print one off for you.

« Reply #8 on: 25 January, 2022, 09:39:28 am »
The good old proof of passage on an Audax.
We once used Drew Buck who was the speaker at the AGM as proof of passage, had the dinner and still made it round in time, just, much to the then DIY organisers amusement. Mainly because he saw how much we drank during the dinner. Memo to secretary never sit on Hummers table again.  O:-)
Remember it's only a bike ride, don't get hung up on proof of passage there are many ways to prove you where there, lets face it at times easier than proving you weren't there!!!!!!

GdS

• I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass
« Reply #9 on: 25 January, 2022, 10:31:37 am »
I use the Wetherspoons app all the time, the email receipt states the location the time your table and what you bought. Most importantly a transaction ID. I would have thought that was adequate and also impossible to fake.

I use Google Pay* which has a different email to my home one (long story, someone set it up for my Google site) so you may need to forward the email from your phone

* having only just set this up is it like contactless? ie it will block if someone steals your phone and tries to drain your account? although they'd have a job in spoons!

telstarbox

• Loving the lanes
« Reply #10 on: 25 January, 2022, 12:44:38 pm »
But you don't need to be in the Spoons to do the order - for example I'm in Kent and can currently order at the Inverness branch to any table.
2019 🏅 R1000 and B1000

GdS

« Reply #11 on: 25 January, 2022, 02:37:37 pm »
But you don't need to be in the Spoons to do the order - for example I'm in Kent and can currently order at the Inverness branch to any table.

you could ask your Aunt in Inverness to go to an ATM and post you the receipt

Honestly, does anyone in AUK really think anyone goes to those lengths to cheat (themselves)? it's like when I call in at my Mum's 30k from home on a 200 DIY and she offers me a lift on the basis that nobody will know

(actually they would because it would show the last 20k (the shortest route) as being over the maximum speed, although as it's paper validation they wouldn't

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
« Reply #12 on: 25 January, 2022, 02:52:30 pm »
you could, but is anyone really desperate enough to cheat on 2 points, that they would pay for food and drink they couldn't possibly consume?

telstarbox

• Loving the lanes
« Reply #13 on: 25 January, 2022, 11:02:40 pm »
I realise we're into thought experiment territory here but 1) unlike the receipt from Aunt Morag you can generate and receive the fake Spoons PoP *during* the ride; 2) you only need spend 60p on peas / crisps so maybe someone is that desperate! :)
2019 🏅 R1000 and B1000

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #14 on: 25 January, 2022, 11:26:40 pm »
A friend has long thought about doing a DIY with each proof of passage being a train ticket to the next control, just for the fun of it.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

GdS

« Reply #15 on: 25 January, 2022, 11:37:36 pm »
A friend has long thought about doing a DIY with each proof of passage being a train ticket to the next control, just for the fun of it.

I finished The Dean (mainly as I had to go back to get my car and avoid a £100 surcharge for going over the parking time, the purpose of the ride having been lost) and the only receipt I could obtain was for petrol which IIRC one organiser would not accept  :-\ (and yes before anyone asks I could have bought a Mars bar with a separate receipt )

is the default position that we are all cheats unless proven otherwise? just asking....

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
« Reply #16 on: 26 January, 2022, 09:19:53 am »

I finished The Dean (mainly as I had to go back to get my car and avoid a £100 surcharge for going over the parking time, the purpose of the ride having been lost) and the only receipt I could obtain was for petrol which IIRC one organiser would not accept  :-\ (and yes before anyone asks I could have bought a Mars bar with a separate receipt )

is the default position that we are all cheats unless proven otherwise? just asking....
I don't think it would be unreasonable to have the car at arrivee, since the meeting place is a park and ride car park. I can see why using a receipt for petrol at Stowe on the Wold or Chepstow would be unacceptable.
Not sure what you mean about the purpose of being lost. If you made it back in time, with all proofs of passage.

GdS

« Reply #17 on: 26 January, 2022, 11:19:40 am »
Not sure what you mean about the purpose of being lost. If you made it back in time, with all proofs of passage.

I was riding with someone hoping to use it as a PBP qualifier, they packed and I only completed in order to get back to the car in time

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
« Reply #18 on: 26 January, 2022, 12:00:04 pm »

I was riding with someone hoping to use it as a PBP qualifier, they packed and I only completed in order to get back to the car in time
Ah.

But still organiser shocked that riders drive to the start car park is a strange position. I'd hope a quick message to that effect resulted in validation.

arabella

• عربللا
  • onwendeð wyrda gesceaft weoruld under heofonum
« Reply #19 on: 26 January, 2022, 12:11:59 pm »
I don't have the wetherspoons app but on a DIY at least you need an electronic version of the receipt anyway.  So photo vs emailed copy ...

Comment about buying petrol reminded me of the time I got a load of stuff for the garden at my last (DIY) control as I needed it and wasn't hungry.
Any fool can admire a mountain.  It takes real discernment to appreciate the fens.

GdS

« Reply #20 on: 26 January, 2022, 12:57:32 pm »

Ah.

But still organiser shocked that riders drive to the start car park is a strange position. I'd hope a quick message to that effect resulted in validation.

I'm not sure if it was even that event that forbade using a petrol receipt.

« Reply #21 on: 18 February, 2022, 03:04:34 pm »
If you have the Wetherspoons app, what's wrong with also having the eBrevet app?

« Reply #22 on: 18 February, 2022, 03:07:00 pm »
Just wondering about how to get  a Wetherspoons receipt as proof of passage on a calendar event if you order with the app? (may apply to to other retailers as well) - for those events that need a receipt

Love the convenience of sitting and ordering by the app, even sitting with the bike outside. But the only receipt is emailed.
Can you not insist on a paper receipt?
Halfords try to get customers to give an email address for an online receipt. I declined and asked
for a paper one.