Author Topic: Audax Bike Gallery  (Read 25305 times)

Re: Your Audax Bike - Photos Of
« Reply #25 on: 15 October, 2014, 11:39:45 pm »

Custom Burls titanium frame, DC07 Carbon/Allow fork, AC Sprint 350 wheels, Conti 4 seasons tyres, Brooks Swift Ti Saddle, Campag Athena Groupset but with Shimano long-reach brakes, one-sided SPDs, cheap-as-chips plastic bottle cages. :-)

Are you at Notts Uni?  Saw a very similar bike there at the w/end .... There are not that many Burls about.

Re: Audax Bike Gallery
« Reply #26 on: 16 October, 2014, 09:29:30 am »
I have two Audax bikes I tend to favour the first in summer and the second bike in winter

Van Nicholas Yukon titanium frame fitted with Ultegra groupset, handbuilt wheels (Hope pro hubs and Mavic open pro rims) a Crane Creek thudbuster suspension seatpost and a comfy Brooks B17 saddle

A Genesis Croix de Fer stainless steel frame with 105 groupset handbuilt disc brake wheels (Hope pro hubs and H Pluss Son rims) Crane Creek thudbuster suspension seatpost and of course a comfy Brooks B17 saddle

snail

• Inch by inch.
« Reply #27 on: 16 October, 2014, 11:01:22 am »

Sorry not driveside. And touring not Audaxing, here. But this is the one I use (though without panniers!)

Standard entry-level Dawes Vantage. Aluminium, weighs a ton unladen. Triple chainset.
Slight changes to shop spec - narrower handlebars so I can actually use the brakes.
Brooks B17s saddle.
SPDs with flat side and clippy side.
Bizarre internet purchase of cheap italian bottle dynamo set up incorrectly possibly (but it worked to keep my iPod charged all trip).

You can just make out a baguette strapped to the rack bag.  :thumbsup:

« Reply #28 on: 16 October, 2014, 11:16:59 am »

Ruby  :thumbsup:
Does not play well with others

« Reply #29 on: 16 October, 2014, 06:22:36 pm »
Current Audax bike...

8)
You're only as successful as your last 1200...

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #30 on: 16 October, 2014, 06:26:21 pm »
^ totally cheating though - it has gears!

I'll have to take my afore-posted machine on something longer sometime for sure.  There's just not enough sensible sit-up-and-beg 20+ Kg bikes on Audax events.
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

« Reply #31 on: 16 October, 2014, 06:36:52 pm »
Gears. It's the future you know.

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #32 on: 16 October, 2014, 06:43:48 pm »
You might be right - my single speed shopping monster takes a bit of hauling over even small railway bridges.  I maybe should have it converted to a 3 speed. 
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

Cycling Daddy

• "We shall have an adventure by and by," said Don Q
« Reply #33 on: 16 October, 2014, 07:58:35 pm »
Yes but do they all work now?
Too much sanity may be madness. And maddest of all, to see life as it is and not as it should be.”
― Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra, Don Quixote

Charlie Boy

• Dreams in kilometers
« Reply #34 on: 16 October, 2014, 08:04:45 pm »

I just did a 200k Audax on the same model TREK.
I bought it as a fun-in-the-sun bike but I'm now giving is serious consideration as my PBP bike.  The stock gearing would be fine.
I wouldn't use it on a very lumpy 400/600 but I have plans to use it on a very flat 600 PBP qualifier next year. 
It's inherently faster than my other bikes, and just as comfy (especially since I fitted an old Brooks), so it could buy me a few extra hours kip.

Here are photos of my Audax bikes old and new.

Thorn Raven Tour.  I did my first Audax on this and went on to complete a full SR on it.
It's not so quick but it gives you a lovely feeling of reliability on lonely night rides.

My deceased British Eagle, killed by BCM600 I think.  My all-time loveliest bike (until it tried to shake me off and throw me over the cliff on Cross-Foxes descent).

I wish I still had it because I could ride L'Eroica on it.

My go-to Audax bike.  The Condor Fratello has been there, seen it, done it.
It's a magic Carpet ride and helped get me around PBP plus the pre-quals and quals.  It's lovely and may get to do PBP2015 yet.

I've done a few Audax rides on Single-Speed but only 200km rides.
My Orbit and Pinarello (sold)

My Ribble "Audax" Winter Trainer did a 200k although I found it a bit harsh tbh (Sold).

Finally the newest Audax bike, the Domane 4.3.  More comfortable than you would think. (not in Audax mode in photo).

Are you the guy who wrote the n+1 rule?  ;)
Mojo is being awakened.

« Reply #35 on: 16 October, 2014, 08:13:47 pm »
Yes but do they all work now?

Not exactly. It's like playing the lottery some days :)

alfapete

• Oh dear
« Reply #36 on: 16 October, 2014, 08:31:32 pm »

Here's mine - 2007 vintage, Campag Veloce, has served me well for many years as I've found my feet in the audax world. Nice to see a few of these at recent events and feel very attached to it, fond of it, whatever the appropriate phrase is. However, getting the bike fit right is so much more important than the material or make of the thing, I'm sure. Thanks to Tim of Echelon (Pershore) for the comfort I've enjoyed, confirmed at Rourke's when I went up to Stoke for a measure up recently and they barely changed any of the dimensions.

You might ask why I'm getting a custom frame then, and I'm not sure I've got a good answer to that one.
alfapete - that's the Pete that drives the Alfa

« Reply #37 on: 16 October, 2014, 10:49:29 pm »

Here's mine - 2007 vintage, Campag Veloce, has served me well for many years as I've found my feet in the audax world. Nice to see a few of these at recent events and feel very attached to it, fond of it, whatever the appropriate phrase is. However, getting the bike fit right is so much more important than the material or make of the thing, I'm sure. Thanks to Tim of Echelon (Pershore) for the comfort I've enjoyed, confirmed at Rourke's when I went up to Stoke for a measure up recently and they barely changed any of the dimensions.

You might ask why I'm getting a custom frame then, and I'm not sure I've got a good answer to that one.

Much the same here.  I took 2 bikes up to Rourke for my measure-up, a recently purchased '8s Holdsworth and a 1994 Giant TCR1.  As it turns out, both set-up exactly the same.  However Gareth new whatI wanted different for my Audax build and so I can have my existing set-up as a basis, but can also have the improved position I'm after which I think will be great.  It's hard waiting 'till December though!
When's yours due?

alfapete

• Oh dear
« Reply #38 on: 17 October, 2014, 06:57:40 am »

Much the same here.  I took 2 bikes up to Rourke for my measure-up, a recently purchased '8s Holdsworth and a 1994 Giant TCR1.  As it turns out, both set-up exactly the same.  However Gareth new whatI wanted different for my Audax build and so I can have my existing set-up as a basis, but can also have the improved position I'm after which I think will be great.  It's hard waiting 'till December though!
When's yours due?

Waiting till March, so the Tifosi will have to make it through the winter. Gareth is an absolute top bloke, isn't he?
alfapete - that's the Pete that drives the Alfa

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #39 on: 17 October, 2014, 10:29:53 am »
Are you the guy who wrote the n+1 rule?  ;)

3 of those bikes are no longer in my possession so really it's N-3.
Some people say I'm self-obsessed but that's enough about them.

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #40 on: 17 October, 2014, 02:02:14 pm »

Sorry not driveside. And touring not Audaxing, here. But this is the one I use (though without panniers!)

Standard entry-level Dawes Vantage. Aluminium, weighs a ton unladen. Triple chainset.
Slight changes to shop spec - narrower handlebars so I can actually use the brakes.
Brooks B17s saddle.
SPDs with flat side and clippy side.
Bizarre internet purchase of cheap italian bottle dynamo set up incorrectly possibly (but it worked to keep my iPod charged all trip).

You can just make out a baguette strapped to the rack bag.  :thumbsup:

Ooh, I started audaxing on one of those (then broke the frame touring). Currently using it's replacement a Dawes Horizon, or on an old Raleigh Criterium or a Trek 4th District depending on length/flatness/madness.

Pictures to follow when I get home :)

[eta] This was the Vantage (admittedly in touring mode). It had lowered gears at the front (Alivo 42-32-22) and the wheels were switched to some Spa hand-builts with Rigida Snyper rims and LX hubs, but other than that pretty much as received.

and it's replacement ...

Same drivetrain, 2203 Shifters and rear Oryx brake. Switched the front for a Tektro 520 to get rid of judder. Usually without front rack, and with a DH-3N72 dyno-hub paired with a B&M Cyo-N instead of the battery light pictured when audaxing

I don't have any recent pictures of the Raleigh, but this is the singlespeed I've used a couple times.

Trek 4th District with 44x17 gearing (I'm about to switch that down to a slightly easier 44x18), 25mm Bontrager Hardcase 'All Condition Race' tyres and with added pannier rack (with Carradura rack bag), Garmin Etrex 20 and Road Morph pump.

All my bikes now have Charge Spoon/Madison Flux Saddles :)
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #41 on: 17 October, 2014, 02:33:33 pm »
Just realised that very few of my bike photos are taken from the drive side.  Tut, tut, must try harder!  Anyhow, this is my audax machine set up for the same 600 (Flatlands) tippers mentioned earlier:

Lee commented up thread that he thought his was a bit harsh and that may well be the case.  I've never ridden a bike posher than this so have nothing to compare it against.  Son of Oscar is without exception the least pukka bike of all my regular cycling buddies but I love him.  Thus far we have done two SRs plus sundry other adventures and have our sights set on the PBP next year.

He was bought as a frame and forks in 2009 (£150 brand new  :o ), has been rebuilt a few times and regularly gets upgraded.  For instance, the Bridge Street bag has recently been replaced with a Carradice Camper Longflap and Bagman 2 Expedition QR.

Key features are:

Midge bars
Harry Rowland hand-built wheels
Very low gearing (24T granny and 34T dinner plate on the rear)

« Reply #42 on: 18 October, 2014, 03:09:20 pm »

Since we have so many bikes from the Flatlands, this was my Flatlands ride. I chose this on over the carbon bike on account of it's extreme reliability and known comfort levels. Next year I am going to play with the carbon bike for longer distances.

Kinesis 4CX with a Surly steel fork for comfort, Avid V brakes for stoppability, 3x8 speed deore trekking gears with bar-ends for winterised reliability and close-ratio city zing (12-21 block!), wheels are custom from just riding along - ultegra and dynamo hub on velocity A23 rims. 3t ergonova bars and stem (brilliant) and a brooks C15 (jury still out). Add a carradice on the back and a second front light and you're done. CX angles mean it's very steady when you are tired and super steady at speed. SPA cheapie chainset which weighs a ton but can't afford anything new at the moment. It's a bit of a tank, but having had the frame for about seven years now I am very fond of it. I had 28s for comfort on but I have changed down to 25s for commuting and it feels the same. I have flipped the stem back to lower position and will be on this for the work run right through until spring, saving my £30 a week and, most importantly, not having to suffer the tube.

Hummers

• It is all about the taste.
« Reply #43 on: 19 October, 2014, 06:06:49 pm »
The Hummercian:

Sadly no longer on the road but many a happy mile shared.

H

« Reply #44 on: 19 October, 2014, 06:13:58 pm »
The Hummercian:

Sadly no longer on the road but many a happy mile shared.

H

Very sad  :'(  :'(

« Reply #45 on: 23 October, 2014, 08:09:31 am »
Shand Stoater, disc equipped 853 frameset:

Updated pics, with more bike, less background ;D ----as set up for 200km ish summer  rides, Wildcat pack, Fluxient U2 mini, BB7,  PDW mudguards

and

....after the `tarte de pommes`, and  fortified by a couple of shots of limoncellos,  I flew up the Col de Bavella whilst thunderstorms rolled around the peaks above

« Reply #46 on: 23 October, 2014, 09:24:27 am »
Looks good.
Did Shand build the forks?
Is the mudguard attached at the fork crown?

« Reply #47 on: 24 October, 2014, 02:36:35 pm »
`tis good too  :thumbsup:

Mudguards are attached to a threaded eyelet brazed inside the end of steerer tube --Shand did indeed also build the 853 forks. Whole lot assembled , fillet brazed in their unit @ Livingston, Scotland :thumbsup:
....after the `tarte de pommes`, and  fortified by a couple of shots of limoncellos,  I flew up the Col de Bavella whilst thunderstorms rolled around the peaks above

« Reply #48 on: 24 October, 2014, 08:45:14 pm »

When's yours due?

Waiting till March, so the Tifosi will have to make it through the winter. Gareth is an absolute top bloke, isn't he?
Absolutely ...calm manner and the patience of a saint!

JamesBradbury

• The before-ride picture is even worse
    • James Thinks
Re: Your Audax Bike - Photos Of
« Reply #49 on: 27 October, 2014, 12:37:01 pm »
Are you at Notts Uni?  Saw a very similar bike there at the w/end .... There are not that many Burls about.

No, Wiltshire. Don't think I've ever ridden as far as Nottingham. I've checked and it's still in the garage.  ;D