Author Topic: The Clwydian 200K  (Read 811 times)

The Clwydian 200K
« on: 19 October, 2014, 12:44:00 pm »
Did this yesterday.

Quite a bit of drizzle, heavy for a short time, between Corwen and Bala but thereafter nothing much.

I was lucky but a few participants were visited by the puncture fairy / demon in the early stage.

Had some cheese on toast at the first control, Country Cooks on the A5. There was a bit of queuing involved at the second control, Caffi Florence in loggerheads, so just grabbed some flapjack and apple bakewell rather than waiting for something to be cooked. Had some lemon meringue at the third control, Pantri Bach Cafe in Pensarn. Wind not withstanding it really was quite pleasant here, sunshine and warmth.

A very pleasant day temperature wise and the wind wasn't too noticeable until the final stage between Pensarn and Cerriydrudion when it really became quite a difficult slog for me over the Denbigh moors particularly between Llansannan and Brenig. I can do rain and to a certain extent cold but nothing is more demoralizing than a stiff headwind. Had to stop at the junction with the A5 in Cerriydrudion and have some Soreen as I was feeling a bit spent after the battle with the wind.

Just coasted down the A5 to the finish in Corwen. First real ride in the dark this year and for a change there was little traffic on the A5.

Nice to meet Tailend Charlie again and regards to other riders I didn't get the names of.

Oh, and obviously a big thank you to Vicky Payne and husband for organizing a great ride.

http://ridewithgps.com/trips/3653776

Tail End Charlie

Re: The Clwydian 200K
« Reply #1 on: 19 October, 2014, 07:37:05 pm »
Twas a super day for a long ride yesterday. I felt a bit over dressed in the afternoon when it got pretty hot, I wished I had been in a short sleeved top, not often can that be said in October.
A great route, fast start, allowing a time buffer to be built up, great cafe controls and views to die for. My sort of riding, little Welsh lanes, love them. I was also lucky and didn't puncture.
Like Jeff in Wales the queue at Loggerheads was too long so I just had an ice cream and watched two MTBers fix their chain with the chain tool I'd lent them. It was good watching someone else work!
The moor around Llansannan was a slog but made special but the darkness closing in. The final part was great, an easy run to the arrivee, and you could see the stars. At home with all the light pollution it's not often I can do that. As I went past Jeff-in-Wales and he said he was having some malt loaf, I thought "lucky ....... " and then spent the remainder of the ride dreaming of what I'd eat on the way home after finishing.
I can heartily recommend this ride, many thanks to Vicky and her husband for organising.
BTW Llangollen on a Saturday night is wacky!!

« Reply #2 on: 19 October, 2014, 10:59:25 pm »
Really disappointed I missed this one :( The good lady told me on Friday night that due to a mix up in her diary she had an appointment on the Sat which meant I couldn't ride. Hopefully next year
https://creweandnantwichaudax.wordpress.com/ - See the Audax events I currently organise

www.milehousebarn.co.uk - Cycle Friendly B&B in Nantwich, Chehsire

Tail End Charlie

« Reply #3 on: 20 October, 2014, 10:01:55 am »
That's bad luck, Jethro. Put it in your wife's diary now!!