Author Topic: Base training  (Read 250200 times)

Re: Base training
« Reply #1675 on: 30 July, 2019, 01:23:41 pm »
A number of people use their commute as ‘base training’ with appropriate harder sessions added in/on top.  I don’t have a suitable commute - any suggestions for TrainerRoad sessions that would be good to use as a fake commute in addition to other workouts?

I’m assuming 30/45/60 mins not too hard but with some verity in the workload?

simonp

« Reply #1676 on: 30 July, 2019, 01:36:16 pm »
A number of people use their commute as ‘base training’ with appropriate harder sessions added in/on top.  I don’t have a suitable commute - any suggestions for TrainerRoad sessions that would be good to use as a fake commute in addition to other workouts?

I’m assuming 30/45/60 mins not too hard but with some verity in the workload?

Taku, Carter, Pettit, Whorl. 30-75 minutes.

« Reply #1677 on: 30 July, 2019, 02:10:52 pm »
Baxter for a longer one.  Volunteer for a short one (I do this after Ramp tests or if I have something brutal scheduled and I quit).

rob

« Reply #1678 on: 30 July, 2019, 08:55:44 pm »
Back on the turbo tonight after a 2 week break.  Wasn’t as bad as I thought it was going to be.

simonp

« Reply #1679 on: 30 July, 2019, 09:26:20 pm »
Back for me after a bit of rowing to break things up. Brutal vo2max workout that has left me quite broken.

« Reply #1680 on: 31 July, 2019, 09:45:44 am »
There's broken and broken! ;)

I did a ramp test last night. Stopped early because my right lower back hurt (though I was dying at that point), so it recommended a drop of 14W.
I went inside, opened the freezer to see what I could have for dinner after my shower, tried to catch the thing that fell out and my back completely spasmed up.  ::-) It's eased off a bit now (for a while last night I could barely move), but I definitely couldn't ride my bike right now, and I wanted to race CX tomorrow. :( I have physio booked for tonight, and I joined a gym yesterday (!) so hopefully I can do some exercises and get it all working again for next week.
Might take my daughter along tomorrow for the kids race instead of racing myself.

« Reply #1681 on: 07 August, 2019, 08:03:34 pm »
Taku, Carter, Pettit, Whorl. 30-75 minutes.

Baxter for a longer one.  Volunteer for a short one (I do this after Ramp tests or if I have something brutal scheduled and I quit).

Thanks both, i’ve tried most of these over the last week & seem to be fitting in pretty well with some informal sessions before I start a base plan in a couple of weeks (don’t want to start one then go on holiday for 4 days straight away  :facepalm:)

I also tried pettit +1, which has a couple of extra spikes at the end.  I don’t think I really noticed before quite how many variants some of these sessions have, looks like a great way to tweak a plan depending on how you feel  :thumbsup:

« Reply #1682 on: 09 August, 2019, 08:53:21 am »
I've just returned from a "recovery" week (aka eating pastries in Lisbon) and done my first test since early Jan: 246, up from 242 four months ago.

It appears upward progress is now glacial, and might soon peter out, at the low level of volume I'm prepared/able to do. Training over these past 4 months has gone very well: not been sick, followed the plan, swapping out for some longer outdoor rides when the sun shines, and TSS has been gently but steadily rising.

So, despite the very small FTP increase, I'm content with this, as it could be a lot worse, eg. injured, sick. For sure, I'd like to be making rapid improvements as I was one year ago, but that's not the reality, so no point in me crying over it, it's just the way it is!

I've started the Climbing Road Race plan, but increasing numbers of w/o's will hopefully get swapped for outdoor rides over the coming weeks. The goal is to hit 250 FTP by end of June, then ideally(!) reach towards 260 in September. The latter is probably a big ask, but one step at a time...

The slow but steady progress continues...

Tested at 253 (~3.6 w/kg), up from 246 in May, after a big increase in volume; much of the riding (the volume increase) was outside, which has been fun, but lacks the structure and some of the intensity that can be so effective in making FTP improvements.

I'm very happy with this progression. No real injuries or sickness this year, and I've been able to follow a plan relatively uninterrupted, so I've been lucky and hence absolutely no complaints from me.

Next scheduled test is for early Oct, and if I'm still able to follow the plan until then, doing some HIT type stuff, I could be within reach of 260 which has been my (pointless ;)) "ambition" for this year.

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #1683 on: 10 August, 2019, 07:29:55 pm »
nice steady progress rdtrdt, 4w/kg looks likely by next season!

i've been off from turbo sessions for four months and just riding about outside, mostly in zone2 with occasional harder rides. i've jumped back on it and for 6 x 8min intervals which i've lowered by 5% from threshold to sweet spot. surprisingly legs felt fine although i was overheating badly. managed to finish all six of them with no interruptions, at 300w and 162bpm av.
i estimate my ftp fell by ~15w in the past four months, but that's alright. i get dropped when i turn up at a fast chaingang and strangely i find that motivating.

« Reply #1684 on: 11 August, 2019, 10:50:40 am »
nice steady progress rdtrdt, 4w/kg looks likely by next season!

Thanks! I'm trying to not look to far ahead, so next w/kg goal is 3.75 by next Spring. Any earlier would be a bonus.

i've been off from turbo sessions for four months and just riding about outside, mostly in zone2 with occasional harder rides. i've jumped back on it and for 6 x 8min intervals which i've lowered by 5% from threshold to sweet spot. surprisingly legs felt fine although i was overheating badly. managed to finish all six of them with no interruptions, at 300w and 162bpm av.

Sounds good.

Re cooling, these Cleva Vacmaster Air Mover fans are excellent (long thread!):
https://forum.trainerroad.com/t/uk-users-looking-for-a-lasko-fan-check-this-out-thanks-to-hugo1/9554/155

Discount code: trainerroad10

« Reply #1685 on: 20 August, 2019, 02:59:51 pm »
I've been keeping on with the TR sessions, but I find that after a TT I can't do the high intensity ones - I either get back pain or psoas pain. TT season is almost over, so I'm gonna can that now and spend the autumn/winter doing TR for training, and cross racing for fun. I also joined a gym, so I'm doing some weights as I think it will help stabilise my core (thus avoiding those TT induced issues) and also because I like it and it's good for me!
Not sure my W/kg has been going anywhere, but testing has been a chore and I've quit the last couple thanks to the back tightness. I'm probably still around the 250W, 78kg I was at the start of the year!

rob

« Reply #1686 on: 29 August, 2019, 03:04:46 pm »
Back on the turbo this week but not really feeling it.  3 more weeks and then my year is over and time for a proper break.

simonp

« Reply #1687 on: 29 August, 2019, 03:18:09 pm »
Break? I'm targeting Fours Head on 23rd November.

rob

« Reply #1688 on: 29 August, 2019, 03:29:38 pm »
Break? I'm targeting Fours Head on 23rd November.

Tired.....been a hard but fruitful year.   Next year will be a bit different.

« Reply #1689 on: 30 August, 2019, 01:27:16 pm »
I've had a week off because of a minor saddle sore (helpfully it coincided with a summer school my wife runs which resulted in >12,000 steps each day and also with my recovery week!).
Cyclocross starts on September the 15th. I figure I'll probably start Sweet Spot Base next week - I can run that alongside weight lifting and swap one workout a week for a 'cross race. With any luck I can also slot in some skills work - that would probably make a lot more difference to my performance than any turbo sessions. The vague plan is to continue the Sweet Spot Base until the end of 'cross season (January), then do some traditional base (maybe on my rollers) and then start the build for the TT season again.

« Reply #1690 on: 31 August, 2019, 02:30:38 pm »
I'm not doing anything at the moment, which I'm quite enjoying. 

In the month since my 6 days of TCR, I've done 1 x 100km ride (to see a physio), 3 or 4 trips into town and a tour round the Isle of Wight with camping kit and passenger.  Glanced at Strava yesterday and was surprised to see that it said I had done a similar number of hours in August as in Jan, Feb and March!  But I guess almost half of it was my last day of TCR on Aug 1. 

Don't want to drift for too long, but I need an objective in order to train. First step is to have a chat with my wife about what is feasible for me to do next year, given family constraints and priorities, and work back from there. 

simonp

« Reply #1691 on: 03 September, 2019, 11:51:41 am »
Ramp test before breakfast. Expected a drop post PBP. Legs felt heavy. 244W which is I think the highest score this year. And I’ve lost weight so just crept over 3W/kg.

???

« Reply #1692 on: 03 September, 2019, 01:21:09 pm »
Opposite for me. No cycling for a week but kept active. Didn't sleep well, but that's not responsible for the 251-> 227 this morning. It felt like work from fairly early on and I barely cracked 300W.  :-X
On the other hand, the weights that I can lift are going up reasonably rapidly (from a fairly low base).  ;D

simonp

« Reply #1693 on: 11 September, 2019, 12:53:05 pm »
Back on it yesterday, new FTP ok so far. I'm doing sweet spot base mid volume, and swapping in rowing water sessions when they clash, and also aiming to double stack a couple of days in the week so it will be closer to high volume in total.

Planning out the next few weeks shows that my current (post PBP) CTL will only be maintained if I stick to this - it will be a tall order to do more I think.

« Reply #1694 on: 11 September, 2019, 01:04:25 pm »
I discovered why Nate likes Baxter on Sunday. You can just sit on the (smart) trainer and watch something on TV, without needing to divert attention to the intervals you're doing. I watched a whole load of CX races on CXHairs Youtube channel. :)
The harder workouts are just too difficult to do this with.  :(

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #1695 on: 11 September, 2019, 01:32:48 pm »
i'll be restarting turbo workouts in a week or two. ease into it with 12 weeks of low volume base, then do the whole programme (including ssb) in mid volume - if all goes well.

simonp

« Reply #1696 on: 11 September, 2019, 01:53:08 pm »
I discovered why Nate likes Baxter on Sunday. You can just sit on the (smart) trainer and watch something on TV, without needing to divert attention to the intervals you're doing. I watched a whole load of CX races on CXHairs Youtube channel. :)
The harder workouts are just too difficult to do this with.  :(

I can watch a football match on a long sweet-spot workout but higher intensity requires music. I'm doing Baxter tonight and I'll try to pick some film or watch a couple of Netflix shows.

rob

« Reply #1697 on: 11 September, 2019, 01:57:32 pm »
I'm packing my turbo away in a week.   I hope you all enjoy your Q4 as much as I'm going to enjoy mine.

« Reply #1698 on: 11 September, 2019, 04:49:54 pm »
I basically just enjoyed riding my bike aerobically in the spring and early summer culminating in a 600km 5 day wild camp trip round northern france.
I then came home, hit a curb on bike path and broke my collar bone so no work for me.
Now that I am almost better I have just restarted.  FTP on the trainer road ramp is now 168 down from 210 which is not unreasonable as I had done absolutely no top end stuff for ages.

Then some sweet spot work yesterday and sprints today and it feels about right.  Another 2 weeks and I should be allowed outside on the bike and can also restart the weight training.

I have signed up for the audax leg next summer to give me an incentive.

« Reply #1699 on: 17 September, 2019, 08:40:59 am »
Week 5 of sweet spot base mid I is finally here :)

After years of full value audaxing i’ve enjoyed the routine of riding at least 5 days a week with some focused sessions.  My legs feel fatigued but certainly stronger.  I need to work out how best to reintroduce longer outdoor rides into coming plans, i’m not keen on dropping to a low plan as it’ll let me coast, I think i’ll Stick with mid level, but have an easier day or two either side of the audax ride.  :thumbsup: