Author Topic: What have you fettled today?  (Read 2134596 times)

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
Re: What have you fettled today?
« Reply #15225 on: 10 October, 2020, 02:27:20 pm »
Planted a red maple in the front garden.  Was fairly hard work as it was quite a large tree.  The cherry on the boundary with next door (it's theirs) is dead and needs cutting down.  I need to get in touch with the landlord, as it's rented; I don't mind cutting it down for them if I get to keep the wood.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #15226 on: 10 October, 2020, 03:07:03 pm »
I am trying to fettle a 60-something year old small round table, whose legs have been repeatedly b0rked off and bodged back on by various ham-fisted oaves using superglue, wood filler and inappropriate screws.  Bad swears included.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #15227 on: 10 October, 2020, 03:42:02 pm »
I am trying to fettle a 60-something year old small round table, whose legs have been repeatedly b0rked off and bodged back on by various ham-fisted oaves using superglue, wood filler and inappropriate screws.  Bad swears included.

This is more or less how Ikea was invented.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #15228 on: 10 October, 2020, 05:26:23 pm »

This is more or less how Ikea was invented.

Iffen there was one near Fort Larrington I'd e'en now be assembling a Lack but the nearest one is a forty mile round trip, and in Croydonia to boot.  Also Lacks have pointy corners to attack the shins of the visually impaired.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #15229 on: 10 October, 2020, 05:59:12 pm »
Lubed the chain on my fixed and sorted the gears on my trike. The cassette body was moving laterally almost a millimetre, which did not help gear changing and worried me that the fixing nut was going to fall off again. It turned out that the cassette adaptor had walked up the axle taper (checked, no cracks) and the nut was bottoming out on the axle thread. Disassemble everything, including removing the freehub dustcap, then dish and fit a couple of pedal washers under the nut. Grease and Loctite in all the right places, of course.

Clearances between the frame, cassette and fixing nut were small enough that even tightening the cassette lockring (which had to be done after everything was in place) was difficult. I will have to skim a millimetre or two off the length of my shortest Shimano freewheel remover to make it easier to work on the cassette in future. That can wait for another day though.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #15230 on: 10 October, 2020, 06:05:34 pm »

Made a new belt to replace the one that broke.

Veg tanned leather, with a chromed steel buckle. Should age to a deep brown with time. Stitched with artificial Sinew.

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

« Reply #15231 on: 11 October, 2020, 12:12:25 am »
Recabled the lads cyclo cross bike's rear disc brake. Still crappy high friction cable leads. Gah !  Took it apart one bit at a time to work out where the resistance was originating.

Determined that the front entry point for the internal cabling still had the old cable end in which was forcing the cable through an ugly angle. Phew. Was on the point of considering giving up on the internal routing completely. Will finish it off tomorrow.

This will mean a second new front outer cable and re-taping the bars again. Bah !
Rust never sleeps

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #15232 on: 11 October, 2020, 05:13:38 pm »
Last-minute trip to Gnomebase.  The screws I brought with me are too long.  The screws I bought yesterday are too short.  Now we haz a table with all three legs attached at more or less the right angles and which should stand up to most things save Lt. Col. Larrington (retd.) falling on top of it again.  I'd have told him to set fire to it had it not been a present from a fellow ossifer for his wedding in 1958.  If he falls on top of it again I'll bring my own petril.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #15233 on: 11 October, 2020, 06:04:56 pm »
Picked up big rusty vice.  Got it working with penetrating fluid.  Took it apart - main castings, handle, screw, nut and slides all good, jaws rusted to buggery, so will need new ones - a refurb kit is on its way.  Jaw screws very stuck.  Tried heat but no movement.  Left overnight in brake fluid (the best penetrant, according to the old guy in the local fastener store).

Will attack it with a rotary wire brush and if it's too tedious I might get it blasted.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #15234 on: 11 October, 2020, 07:41:39 pm »
Sorted out yonder shed/garage. Got a load of stuff together to take up to the self storage place. Loaded car, drove up to the storage place. Key doesn't work! Bugger, shall have to go back tomorrow (they are not 24/7)to get a new key to put all the crap in there.

Came home and set up the turbo, took me 5 bikes to find one that worked on the turbo and would be the right size for TLD and Mrs T.
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

« Reply #15235 on: 12 October, 2020, 02:40:30 pm »
Recabled the lads cyclo cross bike's rear disc brake. Still crappy high friction cable leads. Gah !  Took it apart one bit at a time to work out where the resistance was originating.

Determined that the front entry point for the internal cabling still had the old cable end in which was forcing the cable through an ugly angle. Phew. Was on the point of considering giving up on the internal routing completely. Will finish it off tomorrow.

This will mean a second new front outer cable and re-taping the bars again. Bah !
Job done. That took waaaaaaaay longer than it should have. Managed to knock the errant ferrule into the tube.

"Aha !"  Thinks I, remove the seat post and turn frame upside down and shake. No dice. That end of the top tube is blanked off.
Drop the fork out and go fishing with a hooked implement dosed with sticky stuff. Success.

Bloody tedious though.

And, at the end of it all, it's still impossible to adjust the rear brake (TRP Spyre) so that the pads don't drag and the lever doesn't run out of travel before it hits the bar, even though the lever on the caliper is now returning (almost) all the way.

Adjusters on the caliper are screwed all the way out.

All I can think of now is to run it around a bit and wait for the pads to wear out and bed in.

I have to say, this experience doesn't inspire me to affix cable disc brakes to anything.
Rust never sleeps

« Reply #15236 on: 12 October, 2020, 02:49:34 pm »
I was similarly inoculated against any desire for cable discs after one of my neighbours asked me to to have a look at the ones on his son's hybrid which weren't working properly.

I had a look and a brief fettling attempt, and then returned the bike with the suggestion that it was a job best inflicted on a bike shop mechanic instead. ;D
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

« Reply #15237 on: 12 October, 2020, 02:54:58 pm »
Having failed adequately (for me) to decontaminate the oily front disc pads on the Genesis, I replaced them with a new set of J03A pads. That cured the excessive (IMO) lever pull as well as restoring silent (in the dry at least) stopping.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #15238 on: 12 October, 2020, 06:00:30 pm »

Job done. That took waaaaaaaay longer than it should have. Managed to knock the errant ferrule into the tube.

"Aha !"  Thinks I, remove the seat post and turn frame upside down and shake. No dice. That end of the top tube is blanked off.
Drop the fork out and go fishing with a hooked implement dosed with sticky stuff. Success.

Bloody tedious though.

And, at the end of it all, it's still impossible to adjust the rear brake (TRP Spyre) so that the pads don't drag and the lever doesn't run out of travel before it hits the bar, even though the lever on the caliper is now returning (almost) all the way.

Adjusters on the caliper are screwed all the way out.

All I can think of now is to run it around a bit and wait for the pads to wear out and bed in.

I have to say, this experience doesn't inspire me to affix cable disc brakes to anything.

Hmm - I have 2 bikes with cable discs (my choice, I had the option of hydraulic) with no issues on adjustment etc - and when I ran the LBS cable discs were no problem.

Did you try : fit your cable/pads whatever - and then loosen the mounting bolts a shade ... then pull the brake lever up hard and tighten the mounting bolts.  Usually works to centre and sort the pad/disc interface.  AND there are several schools of thought on bedding in the pads - the best is to blast down a hill a few times pulling he lever with the brakes just in contact with the discs.

« Reply #15239 on: 12 October, 2020, 08:14:48 pm »
Did you try : fit your cable/pads whatever - and then loosen the mounting bolts a shade ... then pull the brake lever up hard and tighten the mounting bolts.  AND there are several schools of thought on bedding in the pads - the best is to blast down a hill a few times pulling he lever with the brakes just in contact with the discs.

Thank you. Yup, I did the loosen the caliper thing and I'm using TRP's own compressionless outer housing.

Time for a longish ride with some downhills to see if I can get the pads bedded in/worn down.  I'll report back here as I progress.

Bizarrely the front brake operates perfectly.

Hmmm. Ponders. Perhaps I should try swapping the calipers round and isolating whether it's the cable run or the caliper at fault.  One for next weekend.
Rust never sleeps

« Reply #15240 on: 13 October, 2020, 08:57:41 am »
New front mudguard. This time made by Bontrager.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #15241 on: 15 October, 2020, 09:36:09 am »
Tuesday, fixed a front flat on my fixed about a kilometre from last week’s flat. I hope this doesn’t become a regular thing...
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #15242 on: 16 October, 2020, 10:52:17 am »
I fettled the olive of a copper compression plumbing fitting.

I had to fettle it off my daughters finger as just as I was about to disappear out the door for a cycle she let out a rather panicked cry of its stuck. Thankfully some calming down and a glug of olive oil had it off before her finger started to swell as was pretty tight. No application of ice was needed

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #15243 on: 16 October, 2020, 01:21:53 pm »

I had to fettle it off my daughters finger as just as I was about to disappear out the door for a cycle she let out a rather panicked cry of its stuck. Thankfully some calming down and a glug of olive oil had it off before her finger started to swell as was pretty tight. No application of ice was needed

They covered this on Hancock's Half-Hour once.  IIRC Syd clamped it up in a vice and drove Bill's finger out with a mallet, after heating the ring(?) with a blow-lamp had failed.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #15244 on: 16 October, 2020, 01:41:30 pm »

They covered this on Hancock's Half-Hour once.  IIRC Syd clamped it up in a vice and drove Bill's finger out with a mallet, after heating the ring(?) with a blow-lamp had failed.

That's ridiculous.  Much safer to dunk the hand in hot ferric chloride and wait.

« Reply #15245 on: 16 October, 2020, 02:25:51 pm »

That's ridiculous.  Much safer to dunk the hand in hot ferric chloride and wait.

The Yakuza approach is quicker and neater, though. :demon:
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

« Reply #15246 on: 16 October, 2020, 09:21:04 pm »
Replaced the porch light as the PIR had failed. The new one is effectively just a 25000 hour LED bulb with a PIR, in a flimsy plastic casing.  Cost £12. Or a tenner without a PIR switch.  I think it may not last 25000 hours.

Move Faster and Bake Things

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #15247 on: 17 October, 2020, 11:05:20 am »
Replaced the wall socket in the hall with one that blends with the panelling, duly leaving the requisite offering of blood to Diyonysus (just a spot, no need to get him tiddly).  Discovered while doing so that the old item had been wired with L and N back to front before we moved in over 30 years ago. No surprises there, then.

The dogs assisted with face-washes and deathly farts.

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #15248 on: 17 October, 2020, 12:57:44 pm »
Finished construction of my (woodworking) router table - complete with screw lift to adjust the cutter height and connections for dust extraction hoses.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #15249 on: 17 October, 2020, 01:37:21 pm »
Finished construction of my (woodworking) router table - complete with screw lift to adjust the cutter height and connections for dust extraction hoses.

Well done. I took the easy option and bought a Triton router with the lift built in.  For use off the table I don't like it much: it's rather ungainly and not as well-behaved as my old Bosch and Metabo items, but in the table with the lift it's fine.