Author Topic: Help me see the PBP light?  (Read 3530 times)

Help me see the PBP light?
« on: 09 June, 2023, 02:40:13 pm »
hello,

I'm in a bit of a pickle about PBP. I've never done it before, and thought it was something I wanted to do, but now I have completed my SR, I seem to be mostly feeling ambivalence. I think because I find 400 and 600 events so tough, twice that distance seems inconceivable and I am just focussing on the negatives. My main issue is slow moving speed and not being able to build up sufficient buffer for proper rest. I am very lucky to have a partner who is willing to support, which would be a big time saver, but I don't want to drag them round France if I'm unsure about being there in the first place.

It would be really good to hear from others about the positive aspects of PBP, as I think that will help with my motivation and hopefully a change in mindset.

Thank you.

Zed43

• prefers UK hills over Dutch mountains
Re: Help me see the PBP light?
« Reply #1 on: 09 June, 2023, 02:56:38 pm »
Riding on a country road, at 3am o'dark hour. Passing some houses, people have gathered in front and cheering you on. Continuing to a village, just big enough to warrant a church and a tabac, and again people out and about to watch the randonneurs go by, probably having a table with water and maybe other stuff for those in need.

It has to be experienced at least once IMO, even if you're not 100% sure you'll finish within the time limit. Caveat: it is said (no personal experience) the 84h groups experience far less of this couleur locale, you want a 90h or 80h startgroup.

Another positive aspect: the road surface is likely a lot smoother than you're used to in the UK.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #2 on: 09 June, 2023, 03:55:39 pm »
How slow is slow?  20 kph rolling average is fine. On my final PBP I averaged 20.7 kph, and I was 68 at the time.  My downfall (I was 3 hours late at the finish) was reckoning I wouldn't make it and catching a 3-hour zone-out peopled with coffee & croissants at Mortagne.

Tell you what: why not plan a 200k and keep your average speed down to 20-21 kph? Once you finish, ask yourself if you could do another 100k.  Riding slowly and steadily works wonders.

Anyway, the positive?  The 12-year-old at a stall in the depths of Normandy who greets you in the rain back of midnight with "Hello, my name is Thomas, do you speak English? Would you like a coffee?"  Or the crazy lady with bows and streamers in her hair who is there at 2 am with several kids serving you coffee, water, biscuits and precious sit-downs at 2 am.  Or finding country shops that are staying open all night to serve you, and that will be happy to microwave a pie for you.  All happily greeting you, all helpful.  Or catching the first view of Brest from the top of the hill down to the Pont Albert-Louppe and stopping halfway across to take pictures.

Or just knowing that you're on the road with 6000 other cyclists, most of them suffering just as much as you.

It's all just bloody wonderful, so please don't miss it.

Oh, and not to devalue your partner's readiness to support you, but a support vehicle carries with it a great temptation to quit.  One of the tips to BRM organizers is not to plan figure-of-eight circuits, because the temptation to cut it short halfway will be too much for some.  Also, a chum's wife supported him all the way round PBP 1999 and hated it.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #3 on: 09 June, 2023, 04:18:56 pm »
Just do it. It is so much more than a bike ride, it's a cultural event that you have been invited to.

Just reading Zed's first paragraph brings back emotional memories of 2019. In the UK cyclists are so often barely tolerated. On PBP you are welcomed and celebrated.

In 2018 I finished my first 600 with only five minutes to spare but still entered PBP so I could see what all the fuss was about. The roads were smooth, there were groups going at all speeds, and the support at the side of the road makes it easier than a UK Audax.

I got to Brest in 39 hours and felt so much fresher than at the end of the three 600s I had ridden. Then I had over 50 hours to tour back, so as long as I kept moving speed was not an issue.

I have just entered and paid to be there again this year. I'm older and slower but I still want to experience it all again.

« Reply #4 on: 09 June, 2023, 04:25:35 pm »
Think of it as a 1200km street party, that you cycle along, as a welcome guest of honour.

<a href="https://www.YouTube.com/v/mMrKCSJ9ujg" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.YouTube.com/v/mMrKCSJ9ujg</a>

« Reply #5 on: 09 June, 2023, 04:34:26 pm »
Blimey I've never done anything more then a BP but you lot have almost sold this to me

« Reply #6 on: 09 June, 2023, 04:44:57 pm »
Thank you, all. Lightning Phil that is a great video.

My moving speed on these longer events is usually ~ 18-18.5 km/hr. It makes it quite stressful, though I do get my money's worth at least!

« Reply #7 on: 09 June, 2023, 04:52:32 pm »

My moving speed on these longer events is usually ~ 18-18.5 km/hr. It makes it quite stressful, though I do get my money's worth at least!

I'm not that much faster and have finished 4 PBP's. You'll go faster as you're used to at the back of your usual UK event. There are a lot more riders out there with about your speed.
And don't do personal support, it takes a large chunk of the vibe away for you. Just a drop bag somewhere, that's enough. If they meet you at Loudéac, and spend the rest of the time enjoying France, that's a lot better.

« Reply #8 on: 09 June, 2023, 04:59:09 pm »
+1 for the street party. It's a blast. I'm not fast (20-22 kph average) but have got round in under 90 hours every time.
Don't underestimate it either. You need to be reasonably confident and able to adapt as you go along.
You can experience new highs and lows but it's the mutt's nuts when you finish.
Do it once.
 [/url]IMG_0835 [/img]

« Reply #9 on: 09 June, 2023, 05:00:29 pm »
I'm in a bit of a pickle about PBP. I've never done it before, and thought it was something I wanted to do, but now I have completed my SR, I seem to be mostly feeling ambivalence. I think because I find 400 and 600 events so tough, twice that distance seems inconceivable and I am just focussing on the negatives. My main issue is slow moving speed and not being able to build up sufficient buffer for proper rest.

Well, as somebody who is invariably a full value rider, I've spent three PBP in the very zone you describe........and, as you know, to be forever bumping up against the time limit can get very stressful - because we all want to finish within the time parameter, right? So you are right to be aware of your situation. And it's unlikely you're going to suddenly change into a fast rider between now and August. So you are where you are. Forgive me for putting ideas in your head, but somebody once described PBP as a 'wheeler-suckers paradise'...lol So true.

But......with that in mind, you've got this far, it would be a shame not to get yourself over there for the event. You don't want to be sitting at home when the time comes only to regret not giving it a shot.

And, I would also suggest not taking it to too seriously. The more I think about it, the more I realise the whole thing is a complete joke. It really is. You do your best to get round, and after that, see how it goes. And the International side of the event is really excellent. So many oddballs from all over the world - 8000 or so. It's a bit of fun.

[And, as a side issue, if you're like me, a person that despises rear flashing lights at night [understatement]......PBP is an absolute joy. I wouldn't go anywhere near the bloody place if the French had not made such a stipulation.]

I am very lucky to have a partner who is willing to support, which would be a big time saver, but I don't want to drag them round France if I'm unsure about being there in the first place.

Well, quite honestly, if you have this opportunity of a partner who is willing to support you........I would say it's a no brainer - you should seriously think about giving it a go. Careful planning between the two of you might make all the difference.
Garry Broad

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #10 on: 09 June, 2023, 05:55:20 pm »
Averaging 18kph on the road means a PBP close to the time limits with little sleep. Personally, I find that sort of riding stressful but some enjoy it.

18kph in the Peak District is quite different to the same speed in East Anglia. If that is your Fenlands speed, you are unlikely to make it back to Paris in time. PBP isn't mountainous but it is as lumpy as the average AUK brevet.

I second the suggestion to only meet your support person infrequently during PBP, perhaps once a day, for fresh clothes and some encouragement. Don't make quitting too easy. It would be a shame to DNF because of feeling low for a short period.

I love so much about riding PBP - the history, the river of humanity from all over the world flowing across France and back, the tenacity of the riders, the enthusiasm of the French people for you to finish their event, pretty much everything.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #11 on: 09 June, 2023, 06:23:44 pm »

As I said, I'm pretty much in the same boat.....and I've managed to get round three times. At these kind of speeds, the longer the event, the more stressful it can get.
But you know all this already.
It's a delicate balancing act.....you will need to sleep.....but you don't need that much just to take the edge off things in order to continue with an acceptable degree of wakefulness..
At the end of the day....you've got to really 'want it'. And that determination will get you through if you're called upon to dig deep mentally.

I wasn't joking when I made a joke about PBP being a 'wheel suckers paradise'. As long as you don't take-the-micky, and be discerning how you make use of this opportunity, it's possible to get a decent start during the first 200km out to Villianes.

Only one way to find out!
Garry Broad

« Reply #12 on: 09 June, 2023, 06:29:00 pm »

I don’t know about great, I just filmed a few minutes here and there when stopped. I’m not one for a long video with commentary.   The Sun loungers you see are not an official control. Just a village that had a BBQ on, some music, and somewhere to rest if you needed it.  The dark bit at end was night 3 I think, and the woman to my right had been riding with me for the past few hours.  We had stopped at place serving up hot soup and beer and dancing if you wanted to. I did quite a few stops outside controls which avoided queuing.

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #13 on: 09 June, 2023, 06:38:26 pm »
If you have the health and the wealth and you have got this far, go to Paris.

It is only every 4 years. You will regret it if you don’t.

It is unlike anything else you will ever do.

The French open their hearts and homes and treat you like champions for 4 days.

If you try and you fail, so be it. So long as you get some good stories along the way.

If you succeed; even better; so long as you get some good stories along the way.
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
« Reply #14 on: 09 June, 2023, 08:26:11 pm »
also, you've done your SR now, so if you found 400 and 600 tough you never need to ride any more of them if you do this PBP which you are qualified for.

If you don't do this one, then you will need to repeat the SR process in 4 years time to have another go, maybe you will be fitter and faster, but maybe other life stuff will get in the way.

get to best in 38 hours, 52 hours left, 8 for two 4 hour sleeps, leaves 44 to cover the return Journey. It's tough but possible

Eddington  127miles, 170km

« Reply #15 on: 10 June, 2023, 12:38:21 am »
I haven’t done it, won’t be doing this time so give my thoughts the weighting they might deserve.

I am one of the slowest audaxes I know, almost always ride on my own but I can maintain 20 kph moving on a pbp like hillyness and on a (very) good day even 21/22. It is probably getting too late for the “new bike” solution and time getting short to train up for it but do you have any thoughts on the cause of the slowness. I previously was even slower but the single biggest improvement for me can from switching to lighter better rolling tyres, maybe 2 kph. Everyone will have a recommendation but I have used GP5000 32 for the last few years and immediately notice an adverse difference if I am tempted to other, for me they have proven good in the puncture resistance too.

The few times I have stayed with a pack until I get dropped I am amazed by the 5+ kph average increase, the prospect of a near infinite selection of wheels going various speeds might see you half way to Brest with a good average and then “all” you have to do is keep rolling? Good Luck.

I wish I was going, I will really regret not going, I will be following you all and fantasising about 2027.

« Reply #16 on: 10 June, 2023, 08:04:52 am »
I was similarly nervous about my first PBP back in 1995.  My solution was to enter the Great Eastern 1000.  In the event it was a psychological boost ahead of the big one, but made no noticeable difference once I'd rolled out from Paris - I just went with the flow.

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #17 on: 10 June, 2023, 08:49:31 am »
My main issue is slow moving speed
So get faster, you have a couple of months
I am not a training guru but in 2011 I did this and it worked for me
I am very lucky to have a partner who is willing to support, which would be a big time saver, but I don't want to drag them round France
Being a driving supporter (I've never tried it) is supposed to be quite tough in itself
It would be really good to hear from others about the positive aspects of PBP

1. Compared to many UK events the roads and terrain are easier
2. There is always a group of riders to follow even at the back of the event
3. The controls vary but many of them are excellent
4. Stop anywhere on the route and try and explain in (in my case) quite poor French whatever you are looking for and everyone without exception is happy to help and positive about it.  Even at 3am
5. You get to meet riders from all over the world. Or riders from other parts of the UK that maybe you've talked to online or who know someone you know

« Reply #18 on: 10 June, 2023, 11:00:57 am »
Blimey I've never done anything more then a BP but you lot have almost sold this to me

My first 200 tomorrow and I saw the thread and I'm thinking hmm, I mean smoother roads and friendly people!

« Reply #19 on: 10 June, 2023, 11:14:55 am »

My first 200 tomorrow and I saw the thread and I'm thinking hmm, I mean smoother roads and friendly people!

Pretty hard to believe isn't it, sort of sounds like the reward in your next reincarnation for a life time of meritorious cycling  but if you can do the 200 and then a 300, 400 & 600 before the end of June you too could be there otherwise 2027?

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #20 on: 10 June, 2023, 11:58:08 am »
Plenty of folk have gone from 100km max to PBP the same year but to qualify in less than a month is tough. It is unfair to think that a newbie will qualify for PBP this late in the year.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #21 on: 11 June, 2023, 04:01:51 pm »
You will go faster on pbp than in the UK because the roads are smoother and there are more groups to join.

What else can you do to nudge up your speed? Any aerodynamic easy fixes? Are you carrying loads of stuff? Fast summer tyres? Use battery lights instead of dynamo, etc?

I think having a support car reduces the chances of getting round. Everyone has a low point and if there is an easy way to stop at that point the temptation can be too much. Without it, the low point might have passed fairly quickly.

« Reply #22 on: 11 October, 2023, 12:18:17 pm »
hi everyone,

I just wanted to say a big thank you to everyone who took the time to reply to my post earlier this year. I found lots of it useful, and much of what was said resonated with me (particularly comments from Von Broad). This spurred me on to have a crack at PBP.

It was a brilliant and memorable experience. I was 4 hours over at Brest but kept going and managed 660km of it before pulling the plug due to digestion issues. I have lots of good memories, especially the first night of riding, not to mention the incredible support from the local communities. I'm glad I went, and now I understand what all the fuss was about!

I'm taking a break from 400/600s for the foreseeable, but will do other longer events (non audax) without a 'cut off time'.

Just wanted to follow up here in case anyone was wondering what happened next! Thank you all for your input.