Author Topic: Brevet card/stamps  (Read 1455 times)

Flâneur

• ♫ P*nctured bicycle on a hillside desolate...
Brevet card/stamps
« on: 26 August, 2023, 12:06:28 pm »
First time PBPer. Was this year unusual in that finishers got to retain their completed brevet cards at the arrivée? Another rider checking in at the same time as me questioned it with the controller, and was told “the electronic timing is the primary record” or words to that effect. If true, it makes one question the point of cards/stamps, and tying up 5+ volunteers at each control doing it at any one time, other than making a nice souvenir. And, of course, the differential standards at play between PBP and what ACP applies to BRM qualifiers…

Zed43

• prefers UK hills over Dutch mountains
Re: Brevet card/stamps
« Reply #1 on: 26 August, 2023, 12:28:58 pm »
It was different from last edition at least. And I got a similar response at the finish, followed by "we are having difficulties at the moment so it may take a while before your finish will show up on the app"  :o :o (it did)

« Reply #2 on: 26 August, 2023, 06:16:25 pm »
Due to be overly focused on getting a bed and then general chaos afterwards, I didn't get a stamp at Tinteniac which I only realised at the next control. They said it was ok, IF the timing chip worked, because it doesn't always. So the stamp is a backup if the electronic system fails you for some reason.

« Reply #3 on: 26 August, 2023, 06:32:10 pm »
And, of course, the differential standards at play between PBP and what ACP applies to BRM qualifiers…

Not so much different standard, as to what’s an agreed acceptable method of proof of passage to the organisation running it.

For Audax UK BRM events, e-brevet is an acceptable method, though a physical card still needs to be filled out and carried by the rider.

For a few riders on LEL 17 with missing brevet stamps we referred to the electronic times to verify the blanks, so they could be homologated. I wasn’t involved in LEL 22 but I’m sure there will have been similar cases.