Author Topic: Graeme's PBP write up and photographs.  (Read 2721 times)

Graeme

• @fatherhilarious.blog 🦋
    • Graeme's Blog
Graeme's PBP write up and photographs.
« on: 16 October, 2023, 07:46:23 pm »
I originally shared this on facebook, but I've finally got my last 35mm photographs developed and added them. Writing this story of my experience was initially about organising my thoughts. My head (post PBP) was like a jumble sale of memories: everything was there but I had to rummage through to work out what happened when. I'm glad I've written this up, I don't mind that I come across as an emotional flake - that was what happened. My first PBP is done age 52, and I'm genuinely keen to ride age 56 and age 60.

https://fatherhilarious.blog/2023/09/paris-brest-paris/

Every blessing.
Graeme.

Re: Graeme's PBP write up and photographs.
« Reply #1 on: 16 October, 2023, 08:20:51 pm »
That is terrific, Graeme.  I recommend it to everyone.  I love the reflection on the "spare" 23 hours!

Just great.

Thought that last picture had a suspiciously Pennine aspect, though ...

« Reply #2 on: 16 October, 2023, 08:23:51 pm »
Thanks for that. Really captures the true experience of the event.

John Stonebridge

• Has never ridden Ower the Edge
« Reply #3 on: 16 October, 2023, 08:34:09 pm »
Excellent write up Graeme

The emotion of arriving back in Villaines is something I recall vividly.

« Reply #4 on: 16 October, 2023, 08:35:41 pm »
"The first Control Point on Paris-Brest is at Mortagne-au-Perche"
Indeed, we know the Mayor of this town.

« Reply #5 on: 16 October, 2023, 09:12:14 pm »
Thanks Graeme, an inspiring write up of an inspiring ride.

« Reply #6 on: 16 October, 2023, 09:18:14 pm »
Enjoyed reading that.

« Reply #7 on: 17 October, 2023, 10:47:22 pm »
Thanks Graeme, good write up, there have not been many for 2023, seemed a lot more for 2019, maybe many still in draft mode?

Graeme

• Graeme's Blog
« Reply #8 on: 18 October, 2023, 04:36:49 pm »
Thanks Graeme, good write up, there have not been many for 2023, seemed a lot more for 2019, maybe many still in draft mode?

Vlogging seems to have become the default these days. Maybe old fashioned blogs take too much time to write and to read. There certainly seem to be a lot of YouTube videos about this year's ride. Also, I'm a first timer... I'm guessing that repeat offenders don't feel the urge to confess their experience over and over again.

Thanks everyone for the generous replies.
I've just returned to long form blogging after 2014-2016's experience of essay writing while training.

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #9 on: 18 October, 2023, 04:56:32 pm »
A good read, thanks!

« Reply #10 on: 18 October, 2023, 09:50:43 pm »
Also, I'm a first timer... I'm guessing that repeat offenders don't feel the urge to confess their experience over and over again.

As an old stager ,I think that the changes in the route threw in some new roads and scenery but also lost some of the familiar spots like the Sports Bar. Because of that I'm still trying to analyse what actually happened , never mind write a serious report.
On the plus side, it looks like some of the people living along the newer sections e.g Alencon seem to have taken up the roadside stalls thing ensuring that the spirit and atmosphere endure.
Even though I didn't take as many pics as I should have , the images are still in my head and will remain so for a while.
Glad to see you're hooked on PBP.

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #11 on: 18 October, 2023, 11:38:14 pm »
Brilliant writeup, really interesting and joyful to read as with a little help from others you got yourself through the hard parts and had a largely joyous experience. Thank you for sharing.

« Reply #12 on: 20 October, 2023, 03:07:25 am »

Vlogging seems to have become the default these days. Maybe old fashioned blogs take too much time to write and to read. There certainly seem to be a lot of YouTube videos about this year's ride. Also, I'm a first timer... I'm guessing that repeat offenders don't feel the urge to confess their experience over and over again.

I've just returned to long form blogging after 2014-2016's experience of essay writing while training.

You are very correct, I went looking for vlogs of PBP23, most are fairly similar, get monotonous  and not as insightful as a well written & emotionally charged blog like yours but some stand out.

The best (?) I found so far is from a Hong Kong rider (start group R, 20:15) who "only" got to Tinteniac on the way back but who recorded the whole ride (at x2 speed so you only get 24 hours of viewing!) , includes various ride stats (time, power, speed, location map, ...) overlaid on the video, looking forward to wasting a few days watching, maybe while on the trainer? It has a good index so you can dip in to particular bits along the way, (select the “more” in the description for the ▬ Contents of this video  ▬)

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLHBJLpZ4d-4luKbpcI6PcGftlynJTETFX

« Reply #13 on: 21 October, 2023, 07:32:50 am »
Enjoyed reading this . A lovely write up.
Thanks for sharing Graham

Graeme

• Graeme's Blog
« Reply #14 on: 21 October, 2023, 08:55:23 am »

You are very correct, I went looking for vlogs of PBP23, most are fairly similar, get monotonous  and not as insightful as a well written & emotionally charged blog like yours but some stand out.

The best (?) I found so far is from a Hong Kong rider (start group R, 20:15) who "only" got to Tinteniac on the way back but who recorded the whole ride (at x2 speed so you only get 24 hours of viewing!) , includes various ride stats (time, power, speed, location map, ...) overlaid on the video, looking forward to wasting a few days watching, maybe while on the trainer? It has a good index so you can dip in to particular bits along the way, (select the “more” in the description for the ▬ Contents of this video  ▬)

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLHBJLpZ4d-4luKbpcI6PcGftlynJTETFX

The music was nice... and the crash at 9hr 32mins was weird! They'd been riding with that guy for a while, quite close too... but then he raced off ahead, slowed, did a partial u-turn and fell off in front of them. Thank you for sharing.

Graeme

• Graeme's Blog
« Reply #15 on: 01 November, 2023, 02:18:22 pm »
Finished adding my awful photographs...
 8)

https://fatherhilarious.blog/2023/10/pbp2023/