Author Topic: The cyclefarcility photo thread  (Read 12499 times)

Re: The cyclefarcility photo thread
« Reply #25 on: 13 May, 2009, 12:57:31 pm »
A cycle lane marked with DOTTED lines, not a solid line.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #26 on: 13 May, 2009, 01:05:34 pm »
I can't see enough to determine that.
Getting there...

« Reply #27 on: 13 May, 2009, 01:11:17 pm »
The second photo shows it's not a solid line. There's no white line for a short section in front of the car. Google satellite view shows it as dotted clicky

Given the amount of crap on the kerbed-off bit I wouldn't touch it with a Schwalbe Marathon Plus covered barge pole anyway.

And anyone who enters the that cycle lane and then gets "stuck" deserves to be shot for complete lack of forward observation. :)
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #28 on: 13 May, 2009, 01:16:09 pm »
Yup.  I wouldn't use it anyway, and thanks for clearing up its status.

But there are lots of cyclists who do use facilities that are there,and they ought to be respected.  I don't want them giving up because cycling's 'too dangerous' or 'too hard'
Getting there...

« Reply #29 on: 13 May, 2009, 01:20:10 pm »
ed, I don't believe that car is parked illegaly - which is part of our problem, of course.

It's parked in a cycle lane to the the left of the hatched markings...

HWC says "see Rule 130" for hatched white diagonal stripes.

"

Areas of white diagonal stripes or chevrons painted on the road. These are to separate traffic lanes or to protect traffic turning right.

* if the area is bordered by a broken white line, you should not enter the area unless it is necessary and you can see that it is safe to do so
    * if the area is marked with chevrons and bordered by solid white lines you MUST NOT enter it except in an emergency
"

Nothing about not parking there because of the hatchings.

Rule 240 says you "MUST NOT stop or park on ... a tram or cycle lane during its period of operation, a cycle track".

Rule 243 says "DO NOT stop or park ... where you would obstruct cyclists’ use of cycle facilities except when forced to do so by stationary traffic"

Rule 243 isn't law though, and Rule 240 has so many references I can't be arsed to look up the right one.

« Reply #30 on: 13 May, 2009, 01:23:39 pm »
I can't see enough to determine that.

Second photo really clear, gaps to front and rear of the car.  Third photo, you can see the end of the painted line if you look carefully (closest to camera). 

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #31 on: 13 May, 2009, 01:32:23 pm »
I hadn't seen the gap behind the vehicle, cause my window isn't wide enough.  Yeah, it's dotted, but the issue of the hatching applies.  I don't believe even half of drivers know what hatching & yellow boxes mean.
Getting there...

iakobski

« Reply #32 on: 13 May, 2009, 01:51:57 pm »
Rule 130 means its prefectly OK to drive in that cycle lane, but rule 240 clearly states MUST NOT stop or park.

I hadn't realised that before. If that's the case, why do any cycle lanes need double yellow lines in them?

« Reply #33 on: 13 May, 2009, 01:54:51 pm »
I hadn't seen the gap behind the vehicle, cause my window isn't wide enough.  Yeah, it's dotted, but the issue of the hatching applies.  I don't believe even half of drivers know what hatching & yellow boxes mean.

I think that's down to interpretation ;)

Rule 130 that Greenbank posted says "if the area is bordered by a broken white line, you should not enter the area unless it is necessary and you can see that it is safe to do so"

Some drivers would consider that as "should not enter"  others interpret that as "I'm overtaking, therefore it's necessary to enter".

As a cyclist I get cross that drivers don't enter the hatched area to pass me.  As a motorcyclist I appreciate the motorcycle lane that council have painted.  I could pass by squeezing past the traffic in the lane, but it's safer to enter the hatched areas.

In my discussions with highway engineers they too call the hatched area "motorcycle lane", which is why they install bollards in some of them.

fuzzy

« Reply #34 on: 18 May, 2009, 02:51:19 pm »
Mobile phone pics, so do excuse quality:
And here is Greater Manchester Police's attempt at secure cycle parking:

I may be overlooking the obvious but, what is the problem with this? Frame locked with sturdy D lock. Wheels secured to D lock with cable ???

« Reply #35 on: 18 May, 2009, 05:08:53 pm »
I'm guessing it's because you that wall hook looks like it could be prised out with minimal force, just a basic bit of leverage.

Those Kryptoflex cables are pants too. When my D-lock siezed up and refused to open I cut through the kryptoflex cable in about 20 seconds with a pair of normal wire cutters. It took the LBS 10 minutes with an angle grinder to get through the lock (they commented on how tough it was to remove).

If I have to leave my bike locked out on the street then it gets locked to something secure, D-lock through railing/stand/etc, rear wheel and round the seat-tube of the frame.

Front wheel is protected by either a Pitlock skewer or another D-lock through wheel and down-tube.

I only use a Kryptoflex cable (in conjunction with D-lock) for the pub after football on a Tuesday night. Only there for an hour or so, and just used to lock the bike to something (a bench) that's in view of me inside the pub (everything solid/secure enough would be out of line of sight).

« Reply #36 on: 18 May, 2009, 05:34:14 pm »
As you say, a Kryptoflex cable isn't brilliant, but it's could be adequate depending on the situation, so whether this is suitable or not probably depends on context.

If this photo is taken outside of the main door to Manchester's central police station, then I'd say that it's probably over-locked. ;D

My bike at work is locked with a Kryptonite New York Fahgettaboudit U-lock on the front wheel, a Kryptonite New York Fahgettaboudit chain on the rear wheel, frame and around a suitable heavy immovable object, and a very thin Kryptoflex on the saddle (which came with a QR, not my choice).  This is inside a secure store that has two access controlled doors on it.  I'm paranoid I am. :)
Actually, it is rocket science.

Pancho

• لَا أَعْبُدُ مَا تَعْبُدُونَ
« Reply #37 on: 18 May, 2009, 06:12:27 pm »
And here is Greater Manchester Police's attempt at secure cycle parking:

Is this so bad?

It's (presumably) short term parking for punters just popping into the nick. I'd say that a secure point is fine for this short stay parking and gets round the "there's no space/money/will" for a proper Sheffield.

One assumes that the coppers who commute in have better, more secure long term parking somewhere out of sight.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #38 on: 19 May, 2009, 09:21:08 am »
There are an awful lot of otherwise perfectly adequate locks that couldn't go through that pathetic ring.  Besides, it's too high anyway, as you probably want to get your frame & front wheel.

Rubbish facility, ill-thought out, probably designed/approved by someone who hasn't ridden a bike since their mum sold their Chopper in 1978.
Getting there...

fuzzy

« Reply #39 on: 19 May, 2009, 09:26:28 am »
TBH, it is probably designed for something else but some crafty copper/ PCSO is using it to secure their patrol bike.

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #40 on: 19 May, 2009, 10:48:31 pm »
TBH, it is probably designed for something else but some crafty copper/ PCSO is using it to secure their patrol bike.

Dog leads. You can tie your canine to the wall whilst you do whatever it is you want without the mutt underfoot.
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

« Reply #41 on: 27 May, 2009, 04:35:35 pm »
Another classic design fail from Southend, which I just posted over in my bikeability thread.

One way I can ride to work is through this.

But that is better than the other side of the road which I'll have to cycle through on the way home.

robbo6

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #43 on: 22 June, 2009, 09:37:09 am »
New York

Apologies for the quality - it's under a bridge and I was shooting into the light

« Reply #44 on: 02 July, 2009, 09:36:28 pm »
AN unusual one - Fareham and Crofton Cricket Club setting up their tables onthe cycle path.... but apparently its OK because they "Only block the pedestrian part!"

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #45 on: 02 July, 2009, 10:44:46 pm »
This appears to be Merton's cock up of a response to my being knocked off by a speeding driver... ::-)

Getting there...

hulver

• I am a mole and I live in a hole.
« Reply #46 on: 02 July, 2009, 10:54:09 pm »
This appears to be Merton's cock up of a response to my being knocked off by a speeding driver... ::-)

WTF is that supposed to meen? What a seriously bizarre setup.

« Reply #47 on: 02 July, 2009, 10:55:09 pm »
There is a cyclist illegally riding on the pavement near the cycle route sign ::-). The pavement has a no cycling sign, despite being marked on some of the maps as the cycle route and is fairly widely used. The road has painted cycles all the way along to where it legally joins that path. I think the council probably intended to put up the triangular warning sign, rather than the forbidding circular one ::-), but I might be over-estimating their competance. :-X The 20 limit and the no cycling sign appeared by the Monday after Clarion's off on the Thursday. :-\ The cycle route sign was already there, with repeaters all the way along the road.
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

« Reply #48 on: 02 July, 2009, 11:22:37 pm »
They cannot implement a "No Cycling" sign without all the relevant legislation (as I understand it).

That cannot have been applied for in the time between now and the bump.

Clarion, ask to see the relevant paperwork regarding that sign, and also get confirmation that it was erected NOW.  If the driver's insurers see that they could claim it was all your fault for riding illegally.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #49 on: 03 July, 2009, 08:34:26 am »
Good point.  I'm writing to them anyway, but I shall make a note of those points.
Getting there...