Author Topic: Titanium  (Read 34869 times)

Re: Titanium
« Reply #75 on: 29 September, 2011, 03:30:49 pm »

I give a ":thumbsup:" to having some steerer left above the stem, but THAT amount looks naff.  Just a very few mm chopped off would make the whole bike look better.

I'm only mentioning this because it can only be the looks you're not happy with if the bike rides like a dream.

Good point Biggsy.
When the 'photo was taken I was still experimenting with the position.
I think I'm happy with it now but I'm considering moving that fork onto the tourer at some stage, probably when the market is deluged with ultra blingy carbon disc forks (next year ?).
I'm guessing that I'll want the bars a bit higher on the tourer so I'm not going to cut it yet.

On the subject of the bike's looks, they've grown on me. I now like bikes with a reasonable length head tube, although not as long as this bike originally had.

« Reply #76 on: 29 September, 2011, 03:32:00 pm »
Finally put it together, time for a test ride:

Sensational !

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #77 on: 29 September, 2011, 03:34:18 pm »
On the subject of the bike's looks, they've grown on me.

I knew they would.  :smug:
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

« Reply #78 on: 30 September, 2011, 02:13:47 pm »
 :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: finished! bar tape on, seat adjusted, been out for a couple of test rides.

This was a fun project, quite different to the other more utility type bikes I've built. The brakes are nice to use and the SRAM shifting easy enough, though it helps to read the instructions first!

eck

• Gonna ride my bike until I get home...
    • Angus Bike Chain CC
« Reply #79 on: 30 September, 2011, 04:30:11 pm »
Did the oval wheels cost extra?  ???
It's a bit weird, but actually quite wonderful.

Fast Bill

• Per titanium ad tea room
« Reply #80 on: 30 September, 2011, 07:14:23 pm »
That's a tasty steed and no mistake  8)
Apex predator of fruit cake

« Reply #81 on: 30 September, 2011, 07:20:54 pm »

Most interesting :) What is the fork, and how are you finding the disc brakes? I guess from the fork clearance and and the rear shifter cable routing that it is intended for cyclocross. 

« Reply #82 on: 30 September, 2011, 08:01:02 pm »
Yum yum. Temptation is everywhere.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

« Reply #83 on: 30 September, 2011, 08:37:59 pm »

Most interesting :) What is the fork, and how are you finding the disc brakes? I guess from the fork clearance and and the rear shifter cable routing that it is intended for cyclocross.

the fork was from Poison bikes in germany, I put the details in this post http://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=48317.msg1053286#msg1053286

yes it has massive clearance! they're 28mm tyres on for now… the rear looks like it'll fit a 38mm, and definitely 32 with mudguards. I'm so tempted to get fat tyres for it given that I run big apples and fat frank size tyres on my other bikes   ;)

the brakes are great, its a shame there's so few frames that take them, I was tempted to wait for the Volagi but I'd rather be out riding!

« Reply #84 on: 03 October, 2011, 04:15:28 pm »
On the subject of the bike's looks, they've grown on me.

I knew they would.  :smug:

:P

« Reply #85 on: 04 October, 2011, 11:15:16 pm »
My XACD tourer

Nice set-up. What fork are you using?

Some day I might look into a titanium frame that could take a Rohloff or work as a fixed (disc brakes in the mix, possibly).

Like this ?:-

11-01-27 Rohloff Enigma RHS by Chocolatebike1, on Flickr

11-01-27 Rohloff Enigma LHS 2 by Chocolatebike1, on Flickr

It's my original Enigma that was stolen/recovered/bought off the insurance company/converted to Rohloff.
Since the pictures were taken, the saddle has been changed, the lights mounted differently and the pump moved to one of the chain stays.
I'd planned to fit a half-link EBB but I haven't got a round tuit.

Thor

• Super-sonnicus idioticus
« Reply #86 on: 29 October, 2011, 10:02:25 pm »
Things your Titanium bike probably doesn't need.

Van Nicholas Titanium Bell.  € 75 (incl. VAT)
It was a day like any other in Ireland, only it wasn't raining

« Reply #87 on: 29 October, 2011, 11:05:46 pm »
Time for a pointless bling thread?
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

Majorbloodnok

• its no good, we'll have to drink our way out of it
« Reply #88 on: 31 October, 2011, 04:11:58 pm »
Another?