Author Topic: Photos of your Significant Cycling Moments  (Read 17852 times)

Gus

• Loosing weight stone by stone
    • We will return
Re: Photos of your Significant Cycling Moments
« Reply #50 on: 30 September, 2013, 05:22:49 pm »

11. May just outside Cape Town after around 10.500 km in 4 months through Africa

« Reply #51 on: 03 October, 2013, 07:26:30 pm »
Epic

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #52 on: 03 October, 2013, 08:28:53 pm »
Aye, Truly epic. Kudos.

« Reply #53 on: 04 October, 2013, 09:10:43 am »
What that photo needs is the before of the clean shaven, slender thighed gent who set off from Egypt. Just so that we can see how much mass moved from the waist to the thighs in riding 10.5Mm.

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #54 on: 04 October, 2013, 09:25:28 am »

11. May just outside Cape Town after around 10.500 km in 4 months through Africa

That is a properly cracking photo - and a significant moment.

What an adventure!
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #55 on: 04 October, 2013, 11:19:40 am »
at the finish of the transcontinental race - ten countries, 3408km|26.7km in 11d7h21m

slope

• Inclined to distraction
    • Current pedalable joys
« Reply #56 on: 04 October, 2013, 06:21:25 pm »
1992 Monica (late, very sadly, as in dead) BONKED (her first and therefore SIGNIFICANT) on a ridiculous hot day within 5 miles of home (just beyond Vernham Dean) from annual 60 mile trip from south of Marlborough along Roman roads to Mottisfont Abbey's national collection of Old Fashioned roses, so she could flaunt with Mr Stone the head gardener, to get cuttings of his rare examples. We had over 200 varieties of said roses in our Wiltshire garden - that was NOT enough!

Gus

• Loosing weight stone by stone
    • We will return
« Reply #57 on: 04 October, 2013, 08:42:28 pm »

The before shot :
11. January at the pyramids :

And about 1/2 way on Tanzanian B-roads

spindrift

« Reply #58 on: 09 October, 2013, 11:17:15 am »
Tourmalet six years ago:

See the black stain down my shorts? It's piss. Not really, it's sweat.

LEE

« Reply #59 on: 09 October, 2013, 12:10:57 pm »
1992 Monica (late, very sadly, as in dead) BONKED (her first and therefore SIGNIFICANT) on a ridiculous hot day within 5 miles of home (just beyond Vernham Dean) from annual 60 mile trip from south of Marlborough along Roman roads to Mottisfont Abbey's national collection of Old Fashioned roses, so she could flaunt with Mr Stone the head gardener, to get cuttings of his rare examples. We had over 200 varieties of said roses in our Wiltshire garden - that was NOT enough!

Vernham Dean & Mottisfont eh?  That's my stomping ground.

If you'd gone via Malborough to Vernham Dean then she had every right to bonk because I can't think of an easy way to do that.

LEE

« Reply #60 on: 09 October, 2013, 12:11:19 pm »
Gus.  Epic. (Thanks for pointing out what those weird triangular hills were :-) )

LEE

« Reply #61 on: 09 October, 2013, 12:13:12 pm »
zigzag.  300km a day for 11 days?  Ridiculous.  I managed it for 4 but I didn't really know where I was or what I was doing for at least one of those days.

« Reply #62 on: 09 October, 2013, 01:20:12 pm »
   ;D
not so much a gravel grinder.... more of a gravel groveller

slope

• Current pedalable joys
« Reply #63 on: 09 October, 2013, 02:20:39 pm »

Vernham Dean & Mottisfont eh?  That's my stomping ground.

If you'd gone via Malborough to Vernham Dean then she had every right to bonk because I can't think of an easy way to do that.

We lived in Marten for 25 years. The photo is just before Fosbury, with just a few miles via Oxenwood to go. Trip to Mottisfont was up onto Chute Causeway, down through Hatherden, Weyhill, Abbots Ann and through Stockbridge keeping west of the Test. Return trip via Longparish, Hurstboure Tarrant (Uphusband) and Vernham Dean.

My stepson still lives in Marten - must visit with bike and and spend a month or so awheel on some of the country's finest lanes :)

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #64 on: 09 October, 2013, 03:21:45 pm »
zigzag.  300km a day for 11 days?  Ridiculous.  I managed it for 4 but I didn't really know where I was or what I was doing for at least one of those days.

initially i was planning to finish within ten days but due to the temperature of around 40'c every day that didn't happen :)

i remember everything clearly only can't make myself to write about the experience (yet)

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #65 on: 10 October, 2013, 10:21:25 am »
Gus.  Epic. (Thanks for pointing out what those weird triangular hills were :-) )
Gus has cycled the Toblerone.  :D
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #66 on: 13 December, 2013, 07:57:50 pm »
Since someone was kind* enough to put this on the web, here's me at the finish of PBP 2011:

Finish Line by VĂ©locia, on Flickr

For the benefit of those of you unused to my usual state of déshabille, here's the before shot:

(click to show/hide)

*I think that's the right word

« Reply #67 on: 21 December, 2013, 01:29:41 pm »
Not my first road race, but first local one. With the Lakes Road club in the Dalton Charter Road Race. I think 1989  I'm behind the guy with early oakleys and clip less pedals, with my carerra cap under the hairnet

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #68 on: 21 December, 2013, 01:43:23 pm »
Tourmalet six years ago:

See the black stain down my shorts? It's piss. Not really, it's sweat.

Snap!  Also 2007:

Got a wee bit sunburnt on the ride down from Paris.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #69 on: 22 December, 2013, 12:59:35 am »
I rarely get photos of myself while touring, but this was a significant moment.

That's at the end of the Hadrian's Cycle Way, my first tour back in 2010. The four of us decided to have go at the route while at a Christmas party, and I started commuting on 1st January that year to try and be fit enough to ride it. It was the ride that started me cycling again :)
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

« Reply #70 on: 24 December, 2013, 02:01:40 pm »

Peanuts!
Compared to some of galactic achievements mentioned on here.
But you have to keep these things in perspective.
This was my fourth or fifth FNRTTC. I'd been bitten by the (Assos) bug and made some wonderful friends whom, to this day, remain just that.
Credit for the photo goes to Fixedwheelnut.
BTW Slope, the bike in the photo here, has just let me figure out who you are / were  ;)

Pleased that you're still on here.

slope

• Current pedalable joys
« Reply #71 on: 24 December, 2013, 02:22:50 pm »
^^^ Thank you for your kind words. YACF is a good place to be with a bevy of well minded far flung larks for company :)

Regards

Slope