Author Topic: Outhouse Express  (Read 3249 times)

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
Outhouse Express
« on: 16 April, 2008, 12:22:43 pm »
The Thought Police here have a New Policy, viz. no personal data on the internal drive of one's desktop Babbage-Engine.  Having purchased one of they USB Flash Sticky Things, I have successfully copied most of my Stuffs.  Onto it.

However, Outhouse Excess1 steadfastly refuses to let me change the location of the store folder to the Sticky Thing.   Am I being spectacularly thick2 or is it all Microsith's fault?

1 - To keep personal Babbage-Posts and newsfroups separate from work stuff
2 - I do not wish to hear comments such as "use Thunderbird" or "use Linux", as the Thought Police will not sanction such things
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Re: Outhouse Express
« Reply #1 on: 16 April, 2008, 12:33:19 pm »
<rummages in drawer for Larrington translator>

I think you're trying to run outlook express but with all data being written to USB?

I think the default location for files is <user profile directory>Local Settings\Application Data\Identities\{long random number}

If you search the registry for that number you find
HKCU\identities\{random number}\Software\Microsoft\Outlook Express\5.0\Store Root

Have you tried changing that to be your USB key location?   

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #2 on: 16 April, 2008, 12:47:16 pm »
The Thought Police

Damn your eyes, man.  Everytime you (or someone else) uses that phrase I end up singing the song all afternoon....

Could be worse I suppose, could be Agadoo :)
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: 16 April, 2008, 12:52:59 pm »
You could just view your POP3 mail from somewhere online instead?
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

« Reply #4 on: 16 April, 2008, 01:01:30 pm »
You could just view your POP3 mail from somewhere online instead?

...and use Google Groups.

*runs away very fast*
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #5 on: 16 April, 2008, 01:43:24 pm »
However, Outhouse Excess1 steadfastly refuses to let me change the location of the store folder to the Sticky Thing.

What happens when you try (via Tools - Options - Maintenance - Store Folder)?

I guess you might need your Sticky Thing always plugged in whenever you have OE running.
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #6 on: 16 April, 2008, 01:47:43 pm »
<rummages in drawer for Larrington translator>

I think you're trying to run outlook express but with all data being written to USB?

I think the default location for files is <user profile directory>Local Settings\Application Data\Identities\{long random number}

'tis the location of the .DBX files which I want to change.  As Biggsy said, one can, in Outhouse Excess, click Tools...Options...Maintenance...Store Folder and tell it where to put them.  With this I have managed to sneak them onto another partition, but suspect that the Thought Police will have thought of that if/when they decide to nuke standardise everyone's internal hard drives.  Also I am utterly ignorant things like The Registry, as Proper Operating Systems1 don't have one.

On second examination this option doesn't appear to like any of the network drives either, though Full-Fat Outhouse does let me put Personal Folders on a notwork drive.  I may have to resort to subterfuge, or at least a scheduled DOS batch job to copy the .DBX files on a regular basis.

1 - VMS
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime