Author Topic: Which GPS. LEL convinced me to get one  (Read 8401 times)

Re: Which GPS. LEL convinced me to get one
« Reply #25 on: 18 August, 2009, 06:49:26 pm »
I think I see the split here.  Sandals prefer the etrex, but racing shoes go for the Edge series.  They probably never meet  ;D

;D ;D

Panoramix

• .--. .- -. --- .-. .- -- .. -..-
  • Suus cuique crepitus bene olet
    • Some routes
« Reply #26 on: 18 August, 2009, 07:04:58 pm »
I call it the jwo method

Indeed, that's where I first got the idea.

I will now have to call it the Jwo method to give credit to the right person!
Chief cat entertainer.

red marley

« Reply #27 on: 18 August, 2009, 07:14:20 pm »
I call it the jwo method

And me. For the record, and surely there needs to be one when TomTom approach me to buy the idea for £several million, I have been using GPS with this method on every single Audax since I first started in July 2004 (e.g see my GPS instructions for the Suburban Breakout, 2005).

More to the point in this thread, the GPS I used then is the same one I use now - the Garmin Geko 201. It is Garmin's cheapest, but still in my view the best for Audaxing using the non-mapping jwo method. I also have access to various Legend, Vista and Edge models, but still prefer the Geko over all of them for Audaxing. The only thing that needs improving with the Geko in my view would be a mount that allowed you to attach it to the stem (as the Edge series) rather than bars.

Battery technology has improved significantly over the 5 years I have been using the Geko. I can now do a 400 on a single pair of AAAs. I only got through 3 sets of NiMH AAA 1000s for the LEL.

MercuryKev

• Maxin' n Audaxin'
« Reply #28 on: 18 August, 2009, 09:01:59 pm »
I call it the jwo method

And me. For the record, and surely there needs to be one when TomTom approach me to buy the idea for £several million, I have been using GPS with this method on every single Audax since I first started in July 2004 (e.g see my GPS instructions for the Suburban Breakout, 2005).

More to the point in this thread, the GPS I used then is the same one I use now - the Garmin Geko 201. It is Garmin's cheapest, but still in my view the best for Audaxing using the non-mapping jwo method. I also have access to various Legend, Vista and Edge models, but still prefer the Geko over all of them for Audaxing. The only thing that needs improving with the Geko in my view would be a mount that allowed you to attach it to the stem (as the Edge series) rather than bars.

Battery technology has improved significantly over the 5 years I have been using the Geko. I can now do a 400 on a single pair of AAAs. I only got through 3 sets of NiMH AAA 1000s for the LEL.

Another happy Geko 201 user here.  It's compact and doesn't take up much handlebar space.  The battery life pretty good and AAAs don't weight much, so carrying spares isn't an issue.  I've been using mine for 2 years no and have not wandered off route (further than about 100 metres) since I started using it.  Great bit of kit.  In fact the only drawback, in my opinion, is that fact that it relies on a serial rather than USB interface.

These kind of threads do tempt me to trade up, but when I think about it, theGeko has never let me down and still does everything I need it to.

« Reply #29 on: 18 August, 2009, 11:19:01 pm »
The Geko....

Great bit of kit.  In fact the only drawback, in my opinion, is that fact that it relies on a serial rather than USB interface.

I have a bog standard eTrex which uses a similar block type connector to the Geko (I think).

I bought an eBay USB cable that has an inbuilt USB to serial connector. Had to find the right drivers to make it work on the Mac (easy since it's Prolific PL-1203 based USB/Serial jobby) and it works on my Windows XP laptop with no problems at all.

Something like eBay item: 330350795524.

But yes, a bog standard mini-USB connector would have made it a lot lot simpler.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #30 on: 19 August, 2009, 09:34:32 am »
I call it the jwo method

jwo he da man!  Yeh.

I gave my Geko away.  It has many good points, no serious drawbacks, and does the job perfectly well.

Small, light, minimalist, good contrasty screen - all these are positives compared with the Etrex C types.
However there was an accumulation of small niggles - worst by far is the difficult battery access, once the bike mount is in place.  But the serial interface, nasty bright colour casing, limited display options, rather clunky navigation through the menus - were all annoyances for me.

And the Etrex C with map is just better 'company' on the bike.  Though the display is very dim behind a highly-reflective screen cover - marginal for my shot-to-pieces old eyes - if the map were given a white background instead of a dull beige, even that would help quite a bit.

If buying a GPS now, and especially as a new adopter - I think you'd have to consider the new Garmin Dakota as well.  In terms of size, styling and function (and battery life) it sorta sits between the Etrex and the Edge series.  There's a lot going for it, but the screen is even dimmer than the Etrex, so you'd definitely have to see it action before shelling out.
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

« Reply #31 on: 19 August, 2009, 03:28:09 pm »
Better news still is that they are £130 on Amazon.  Srsly  :thumbsup:

I bit!  It arrives on Friday.  

What's the score with the OSM maps?  Are they easy to download and install?  I got a bit overwhelmed when I googled it.

Edit:  I mean I can see how to get them on the Etrex, but how do you plan a  route on your computer screen to put into the GPS?

simonp

« Reply #32 on: 19 August, 2009, 03:31:12 pm »
I actually combine methods; I have a jwo route, a track (in green) and I have the maps installed.  This is comforting at 1am somewhere between Villaines and Mortange, when brain is starting to malfunction, you start to think you're in Yorkshire, you are struggling to read the GPS screen, and for some inexplicable reason you can't at the moment see any other cyclists (a rare occurence on PBP).  Being able to see you are still on the track is reassuring.

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #33 on: 19 August, 2009, 04:43:41 pm »
Edit:  I mean I can see how to get them on the Etrex, but how do you plan a  route on your computer screen to put into the GPS?

I use something like Gmaps pedometer or Bikely to plan my routes.   Then I save them off to a .gpx file and open it up in the software that comes with the Garmin.  Once I've checked it in there, I use it to transfer straight across to the unit.  Although you can just write the .gpx file to your memory card if you like and check it in the unit.

Even easier is to download other people's files  :)
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

« Reply #34 on: 19 August, 2009, 04:49:28 pm »
Garmin 705 + AA batteries sounds rather super. There used to be some really good deals for unit, HR, cadence and maps on a mini-SD card but I didn't bookmark the site. Anybody here remember?

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #35 on: 19 August, 2009, 05:40:50 pm »
I use something like Gmaps pedometer or Bikely to plan my routes.   Then I save them off to a .gpx file and open it up in the software that comes with the Garmin.  Once I've checked it in there, I use it to transfer straight across to the unit.  Although you can just write the .gpx file to your memory card if you like and check it in the unit.

Mmm - no. 
The Etrex can't navigate using a gpx on the memory card, AFAIK.  It can see the file, but it can't open it.  All waypoints routes & trax need to be stored in 'user' memory and not on the SD card, and the easiest way to get them there is as you say, to use the software supplied with the unit.

+1 for planning using Google Maps or some derivative though - if that isn't a contradiction when using OSM maps ...
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

Panoramix

• .--. .- -. --- .-. .- -- .. -..-
  • Suus cuique crepitus bene olet
    • Some routes
« Reply #36 on: 19 August, 2009, 05:45:59 pm »

+1 for planning using Google Maps or some derivative though - if that isn't a contradiction when using OSM maps ...

I seem to be the only one but I find that using SourceForge.net: viking is much more productive, especially if like LEL, a gpx track has been produced. It works with layers which effectively permits to add your turning points while seeing the track and the map at the same time.
Chief cat entertainer.

« Reply #37 on: 19 August, 2009, 06:30:52 pm »

Thanks Charlotte - I'm looking forward to some quality ned time trying it all out!  :)

border-rider

« Reply #38 on: 19 August, 2009, 06:50:53 pm »

I bit!  It arrives on Friday.

Does it cover Pontypool ?

;)

simonp

« Reply #39 on: 19 August, 2009, 06:57:00 pm »

Thanks Charlotte - I'm looking forward to some quality ned time trying it all out!  :)

You planning a ride around Glasgow?