Author Topic: Have you been out today?  (Read 3887710 times)

Dave

Re: Have you been out today?
« Reply #350 on: 05 May, 2008, 03:30:07 pm »
After preregistering for the IoW Randonee and prebooking ferry tickets, driving from Luton to Portsmouth then, without stopping, turning round and driving straight back (no, no real idea why either...), I decided I had to go out today.

So, I found a circuit starting from Audley End station that someone (Wowbagger?) posted on ACF a while ago. A smidge over 65k through some beautiful villages, in gorgeous weather. Fantastic :thumbsup:

(And that IoW thing is now unfinished business. I am damn well going to do it before the end of the summer).

gordon taylor

« Reply #351 on: 05 May, 2008, 03:37:31 pm »
50km on the trike today, out and about on the Staffordshire/Shropshire border. I even got lost and found some new lanes I'd never ridden before, it's a maze out there!

Thor

• Super-sonnicus idioticus
« Reply #352 on: 05 May, 2008, 03:38:42 pm »
It's a warm and sunny Bank Holiday in Hertfordshire.  You can't not go out for a ride!  First time this year in shorts and short sleeves. I did a 2 hour loop which was delightful, except for a disproportionate degree of insect strike  >:(
It was a day like any other in Ireland, only it wasn't raining

Maladict

« Reply #353 on: 05 May, 2008, 03:43:17 pm »
No cycling for me today!  Recovering from Saturday still, and rather dehydrated.

border-rider

« Reply #354 on: 05 May, 2008, 03:47:46 pm »
It was raining quite hard first thing, so my trike circuit was postponed until lunchtime. I might go for a run later though.

FatBloke

• I come from a land up over!
« Reply #355 on: 05 May, 2008, 03:58:20 pm »
Just been out for 10 miles with Mrs. FB on t'tandem along the seafront and back along the delightful NCN16.

She said: "Riding on this cycle path is too bloody stressful!" after we'd just avoided the fourth family of suicidal Ghanians.  >:(
This isn't just a thousand to one shot. This is a professional blood sport. It can happen to you. And it can happen again.

« Reply #356 on: 05 May, 2008, 04:40:36 pm »
I had a nice little 13 mile bimble around Croydon, as much as anything else to test out a new cycle computer.  Whilst I've got used to no hills in London, according to Bikely, this included 1000 foot of climb, including 400 foot in one short stretch going up Purley Downs Road.  Not too much fun on the singlespeed!
Actually, it is rocket science.

Paulapops

« Reply #357 on: 05 May, 2008, 04:54:38 pm »
Saturday: Great ride out on number one tandem from Llanberis to Barmouth via Trawsfynydd straight into a headwind, coming back via Harlech with a great tailwind and fantastic views of the southern side of the Lleyn peninsula, over the Llanberis pass out and back.
Today a shorter circuit of Snowdonia

« Reply #358 on: 05 May, 2008, 04:59:00 pm »
Yes, yes, yes, I have finally been out.  22.36 glorious miles on the TCR.

« Reply #359 on: 05 May, 2008, 04:59:38 pm »
Strapped the old dog into the shopping trailer and did a tour of the promenade.He had a couple of swims and checked many of his lady friends' beach huts to ensure sufficient biscuits were in place for the summer months.Very pleasant couple of hours.Two local bye-laws broken.

N
Mal-odorous,liver-spotted, coffin-dodger.

« Reply #360 on: 05 May, 2008, 05:02:26 pm »
Pottered up to Cowleaze Wood on Christmas Common on the tandem with MiniQ and entertained her with a 44mph descent of Kingston Hill on the way home.  This was the highlight of the afternoon, since she bitched and moaned all the way up the Chilterns ::-)
About an 8 mile round trip I think.

eck

• Gonna ride my bike until I get home...
    • Angus Bike Chain CC
« Reply #361 on: 05 May, 2008, 05:11:40 pm »
Yes, yes, yes, I have finally been out.

:thumbsup: See, told you. You're narrowing the gap already*.

I was planning to get out today, gorgeous weather up here, but I feel quite wrecked. Did a 400k perm Friday/Saturday and an easy 100k club run yesterday, which was fine. I thought I had recovered, but I clearly haven't.  :(

*GIT.   ;D
It's a bit weird, but actually quite wonderful.

LEE

« Reply #362 on: 05 May, 2008, 06:26:42 pm »
Yes, a leisurely 30 miles and let me just say that the weather is 100%, absolutely, totally perfect.

20C, hardly any wind and traffic-free lanes.

Perfect and effortless cycling (swapping bib tights and waterproof for shorts and short-sleeves seems to be worth an extra 20%)

Adam

• It'll soon be summer
    • Charity ride Durness to Dover 18-25th June 2011
« Reply #363 on: 05 May, 2008, 06:40:08 pm »
Phew - 101 very hard miles slogging up and down the Chilterns in just under 7 hours, roughly following the Chiltern 100 route.

Bison Hill, Ivinghoe Beacon, Aston Hill, Bledlow Ridge, Christmas Common to name a few - it's all just a blur of never ending slow wobbly ascents and scary descents. 

I need a drink......

“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving.” -Albert Einstein

clifftaylor

• Max - "make mine a Beophar Hairball Paste please"
« Reply #364 on: 05 May, 2008, 06:48:39 pm »
Bledlow Ridge, Christmas Common to name a few - it's all just a blur of never ending slow wobbly ascents and scary descents. 

Oooh, I used to go training round there!! Thoroughly incline-tastic  :P :P

bobmick

« Reply #365 on: 05 May, 2008, 07:00:48 pm »
First time out on my geared Vernon Barker bike for ages.  65km at 25kph in beautiful weather.  Thoroughly enjoyable.  Wanted to keep going but have loads of work to get finished before tomorrow  :(

microphonie

• Tyke 2
« Reply #366 on: 05 May, 2008, 07:13:39 pm »
Yes - an almost 60 mile loop in lovely weather, although the return half had a stronger head wind then expected (and rather explains the rather quick-for-me 18mph average on the outward half!).

The breeze meant I wasn't drenched in sweat when I returned - but I'm just being reminded that a breeze also hides the fact that the sun can be burning you. Forgot the sun screen and my arms & legs are all red and tingling  :'(

Bingo! That's what I am, a saviour.
A sort of cocky version of Jesus.

Chris S

« Reply #367 on: 05 May, 2008, 07:57:44 pm »
Forgot the sun screen and my arms & legs are all red and tingling  :'(

I made that mistake when out for a 200 audax with bazzerp 10 days ago. Just finishing peeling now  :sick:.

vince

« Reply #368 on: 05 May, 2008, 08:07:17 pm »
Didn't get out today, but did 25 miles around the Elan Valley reservoirs on Saturday. It was my first warm sunny ride of the season - but I forgot my new camera  ::-)

« Reply #369 on: 05 May, 2008, 08:31:43 pm »
Yep, second spin of the day. 26.0 miles at an average of 17.02, including Kings Road etc to Richmond Park.

Two 21 minute laps of Richmond Park - one of them almost in the 20's  :). This involved overtaking several cars, including one car going down Bastard Hill.

For about a lap and a half I had someone tucked in right behind me, having recognised my attributes as a windbreak. He didn't get past me, despite his tri-bars and his relative youth, and said "that was fun" as I peeled off, knackered.

Lovely evening in the park, one of those rides when the bike just runs absolutely perfectly.  8)

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #370 on: 05 May, 2008, 08:33:37 pm »
I cycled from Clare and Verns to Portsmouth Harbour Station and from Waterloo to home.  That was enough for me, particularly as my sunburn from yesterday was being treated to another roasting today...  :-X
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

« Reply #371 on: 05 May, 2008, 08:55:48 pm »
100 glorious hilly sunny miles.  Black Mountain, Llanddeusant, Glas Fynydd, Crai 'bwlch' and Heol Senni, then lovely descent (47mph) to Sennybridge.  Met up with the family and in-laws for pub lunch, so therefore managed also to satisfy family bank holiday duties, and continued celebrations of Mrs N's becoming a county councillor.  Back via the Devil's Elbow, Ystradfellte, Penderyn, Hirwaun.  Looked wistfully up the road to the Rhigos, but my legs had already decided that they fancied the descent of the Glynneath Bank so it was too late to turn back.  A bit of an unnecessary loop up to Crynant and back to the Swansea Valley to turn it in to a 100-miler.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #372 on: 05 May, 2008, 09:41:39 pm »
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #373 on: 05 May, 2008, 10:00:43 pm »
No riding today;
Wowbagger, that's a rather entertaining writeup from you - almost makes up for spending large parts of the day in SWMBO's Focus.

« Reply #374 on: 05 May, 2008, 10:09:32 pm »
Sgt Pluck: you're a speed demon! There's no way I'm joining you for Park laps. ;) I thought you said you were staying in your low HOUR training zones?!