Author Topic: Mid-Essex Mid-Week Nocturnal Series  (Read 1718856 times)

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
Re: Mid-Essex Mid-Week Nocturnal Series
« Reply #14500 on: 19 March, 2020, 12:04:44 pm »
There doesn't seem to be any tables shown on OSM for our area (though I know there are certainly ones at Hanningfield Res and Hoe Mill for example) - so might need to crowd source locations...
Regards,

Joergen

« Reply #14501 on: 19 March, 2020, 03:23:01 pm »
Coffee mornings are an ace idea.....brew your own / bring a flask. Struggling to think of many locations with picnic tables that aren't attached to cafes or pubs. Alternatively we could do a nice bench plus camping chairs to keep our distance.

« Reply #14502 on: 19 March, 2020, 03:32:46 pm »
I was thinking mid week given everyone is "working from home"  Cycling is the new golf after all!   :thumbsup:
It's a bit cheeky coming from me given my form of late but.....

I've always thought your idea of 'working from home' was a bit different to what 'working from home' actually meant ;D

Anyway.....I'm not going to be about until I've figure out which way up is. I'm hoping after this week the 4am starts slow down somewhat and I can maybe come along on a Wedensday night for a quick catch up again, unlikely I'll be drinking....I'm struggling to keep the lorry in a straight line sober!

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #14503 on: 19 March, 2020, 04:14:56 pm »
Coffee mornings are an ace idea.....brew your own / bring a flask. Struggling to think of many locations with picnic tables that aren't attached to cafes or pubs. Alternatively we could do a nice bench plus camping chairs to keep our distance.

I'd suggest this Saturday but I might have fings to do plus I still have a bit of a cough.  But don't let me stop you lot from meeting up in a social distancing kinda way  :thumbsup:

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #14504 on: 19 March, 2020, 07:17:35 pm »
There's lots of picnic tables in Dunmow in several spots dotted along the Chelmer Meadows. At the Braintree Road bridge there used to be a concreted-in BBQ on the river bank - I'll have to check it's still there. Several at the skate park opposite us too; avoid the temptation to have a go on the monster half-pipe - we don't want to impose even more stress on the NHS!  ;D

Lots in Chelmsford parks ... Promenade Park, Maldon too?

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #14505 on: 19 March, 2020, 07:24:38 pm »
I was thinking for ones perhaps out of towns but all ideas welcome, perhaps we can start a Google map?
Regards,

Joergen

Phil W

« Reply #14506 on: 19 March, 2020, 07:32:50 pm »
They are marked in OSM and accurate where marked when I’ve aimed for them but also ones missing. Maybe I need to include them and paths / bridleways on my GPS mapping again whilst I’m not riding audax .  If missing I just mark waypoint on GPS and update OSM later.

« Reply #14507 on: 19 March, 2020, 08:26:41 pm »
Hatfield Forest has some big tables by the cafe near the lake

Eddington: 133 miles    Max square: 43x43

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #14508 on: 20 March, 2020, 09:22:39 am »
They are marked in OSM and accurate where marked when I’ve aimed for them but also ones missing. Maybe I need to include them and paths / bridleways on my GPS mapping again whilst I’m not riding audax .  If missing I just mark waypoint on GPS and update OSM later.

Struggling to find an easy way to find them on OSM online.  I used the editor but that's not ideal!  Any suggestions?
Regards,

Joergen

Oscar's dad

« Reply #14509 on: 20 March, 2020, 10:21:43 am »
I rode past Hoemill Lock this morning, there's a picnic bench and an ordinary park type bench so perfectly adequate for a social distancing coffee morning.

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #14510 on: 24 March, 2020, 07:24:12 pm »
I will go for a Mid-Essex Mid-Week ride tomorrow, probably bunking off for an hour during the day to enjoy the sunshine. I will raise a glass to all the MEMWNS Crew in the evening; we are all "Absent Friends" now.  :(

On a positive note, I have arranged Socially Distant gardening work with almost all my clients - happy to wave through a window, but no more cosy cuppas n'biscuits in their kitchens.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #14511 on: 24 March, 2020, 07:33:16 pm »
Good for you Tomsk. I’m in two minds about getting on my bike at the moment, I’m all of a dither  ???

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #14512 on: 25 March, 2020, 06:26:02 pm »
It feels a bit odd not being out tonight!

I rode some of The Woodman today, well the local bit to me near Nine Ashes :)

Busy sunny day - I've been going out sans route on Garmin and making it up as I go along, today I managed to miss the turn on a bridleway and rode a 'private' Forest Lodge Road which had huge houses on! I realised my mistake when Norton Mandeville church appeared to be taking a long time to arrive at the side of the road!

The bonus of all this is seeing families out on their bikes... will this be the closest we ever see to a dutch way?
Regards,

Joergen

« Reply #14513 on: 26 March, 2020, 04:33:51 pm »
I've been thinking. The pessimist in me believes it might be 'quite some time' before a regular MEMWNS can take place. So is there a way to recreate the essence of MEMWNS in the meantime? Well, maybe ...

What if ... the subset of folk who are available on a given Wednesday commit to going for a ride (outdoors or indoors as individual preference dictates), then log in to a video conference platform once back in the warmth of their homes, having collected a drink of choice  from their fridge / cellar / vineyard. Would be good to just catch up with everybody, and maybe introduce something more cerebral in time (I hear Cranium works well virtually).

Just a thought.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #14514 on: 26 March, 2020, 05:07:00 pm »
I've been thinking. The pessimist in me believes it might be 'quite some time' before a regular MEMWNS can take place. So is there a way to recreate the essence of MEMWNS in the meantime? Well, maybe ...

What if ... the subset of folk who are available on a given Wednesday commit to going for a ride (outdoors or indoors as individual preference dictates), then log in to a video conference platform once back in the warmth of their homes, having collected a drink of choice  from their fridge / cellar / vineyard. Would be good to just catch up with everybody, and maybe introduce something more cerebral in time (I hear Cranium works well virtually).

Just a thought.

I think that's a great idea!!!

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #14515 on: 27 March, 2020, 10:12:14 am »

Just a thought.

... And wave/flash your lights/ping your bell as you pass, somewhere in Mid-Essex. I'm just about au fait with Zoom with help from the resident IT guru, but have been discovering the wonders of individual telephonic conversation among my family lately!

Oscar's dad

« Reply #14516 on: 27 March, 2020, 10:15:57 am »

Just a thought.

I think that's a great idea!!!

So psyclist old bean, are you volunteering to make this happen?  Next Wednesday perhaps?

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #14517 on: 27 March, 2020, 02:08:58 pm »
Sounds like a great idea!
Regards,

Joergen

« Reply #14518 on: 27 March, 2020, 02:46:53 pm »
So psyclist ... are you volunteering to make this happen?  Next Wednesday perhaps?

What do people think for the technology? Zoom has been performing about the best in a work context recently, but I no longer had a pro account, so I'm limited to initiating calls of 40 minutes only where there are multiple attendees.

From a routing perspective, my view is that people should do their own thing ... any attempt to try to arrange pass-bys might lead to some riders being on the same ride going in the same direction, which wouldn't look good from a social distancing perspective, too much like an organised ride.

For this Wednesday, I've got a call from 8:30pm until 9pm, so I would intend to ride earlier, and then connect into the MEWMNS Hub at 9pm.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #14519 on: 27 March, 2020, 03:51:45 pm »
I can send out invitations to a Teams meeting.  I don't think there are limitations on meeting length or number of participants, I would need folk's email addresses though.  You would get an email from me (my work email) and in the email there would be a link to join the call.  When you click the link there's an opportunity to download the Teams app or you can launch a browser window. I've only used Zoom once and it was fine, that said I'm using Teams several times a day and it works fine too. 

If you wanted to take part you'd need a PC with a camera and a mike.  If a significant number of folks don't have cameras and mikes I could use UC-One which allows folks to dial a conference bridge and enter a meeting ID but its a bit more clunky that Teams.

I'm not riding at the moment so would just join from home at the appointed hour.

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #14520 on: 27 March, 2020, 04:35:01 pm »
I think I would do my ride during the day, I quite like this yellow thing that's turned up!  :thumbsup:

Looks like Zoom is circa £12 per month - if the virtual MEMWNS thing works, perhaps we could chip in for a subscription?  Is there an xbox app for it?
Regards,

Joergen

Oscar's dad

« Reply #14521 on: 27 March, 2020, 04:55:54 pm »
I think I would do my ride during the day, I quite like this yellow thing that's turned up!  :thumbsup:

Looks like Zoom is circa £12 per month - if the virtual MEMWNS thing works, perhaps we could chip in for a subscription?  Is there an xbox app for it?

If we used my Teams it won't cost a penny.  We could use it as a POC and take it from there?

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #14522 on: 27 March, 2020, 05:11:22 pm »
Get you and your lean start-up, yep, let's MVP it...
Regards,

Joergen

Andy C33

• Beverage Procurement Officer.
« Reply #14523 on: 27 March, 2020, 05:17:56 pm »
Not sure what language you’re all speaking  ???

Oscar's dad

« Reply #14524 on: 27 March, 2020, 05:31:07 pm »
He’s lost me!