Author Topic: European Super League  (Read 13219 times)

Re: European Super League
« Reply #75 on: 20 April, 2021, 03:06:58 pm »
You can register 25 senior players providing 8 are homegrown. Kids don't count.  Of the 33 listed for Everton, 9 have not played for the club - the majority of those (of not all) are kids.  They won't be on huge money, and they aren't ready for the first team yet. Of the players who are on huge money, unless their contracts are up then you have an obligation to pay them unless you can convince someone else to take them on. Everton lost £111 million in the year to June 2019 (the last financial year for which we have accounts), before Covid. Their wages to turnover ratio was 85%.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/51114007
There's not a lot of slack there if you can't get the playing wage bill down.

Moshiri can afford to bankroll Everton for as long as he wants.
The leveraged buyout of Burnley is looking a bit dicey though, and I bet Mike Ashley is spitting feathers!

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #76 on: 20 April, 2021, 04:12:14 pm »
Not a subject I follow, but you can't miss it in the news.

I really don't get what business it is of the gubbinsment to wade into a private dispute between private sports clubs and the various league organizations / governing bodies they choose to align themselves with.

« Reply #77 on: 20 April, 2021, 05:14:55 pm »
^ Yes, you'd think they'd be all for aa free market!
simplicity, truth, equality, peace

« Reply #78 on: 20 April, 2021, 05:57:55 pm »
OK, I've read a little bit about this, a number of private businesses owned by billionaires employing multi-millionaires playing a game want to set up their own league/competition, so what??!!

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #79 on: 20 April, 2021, 06:19:11 pm »
One problem is that it’s a closed shop and clubs who have won the top-level title a lot more recently than Spurs won't get a look-in, because they’re unfashionable.  Also it smells USAnian, where the notion of promotion and relegation is anathema :demon:
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #80 on: 20 April, 2021, 06:50:41 pm »
One problem is that it’s a closed shop and clubs who have won the top-level title a lot more recently than Spurs won't get a look-in, because they’re unfashionable.  Also it smells USAnian, where the notion of promotion and relegation is anathema :demon:

I must be thick, so what?

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #81 on: 20 April, 2021, 06:51:12 pm »
I’m curious to know jus how BSJ is going to thwart the super league as he has apparently promised to do. I can’t see how it would fall foul of the monopolies and mergers law because it only represents 6 out of 40 or 50 professional clubs in England. It’s not exactly a cartel when it only involves circa 15% and the rest of the teams can carry on as before. What the Europeans decide is none of our governments business either. What it will come down to is whether Sky or BT are interested in broadcasting the new league and again as none public sector businesses the government have no direct control there either.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

John Stonebridge

• Has never ridden Ower the Edge
« Reply #82 on: 20 April, 2021, 07:17:01 pm »
Looks like the first rat is preparing to leave the sinking ship ESL.  https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/56823501 

Just when you think you cant dislike these twats anymore they cave in after 2 days. 

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #83 on: 20 April, 2021, 07:18:42 pm »

I must be thick, so what?

Quote from: Pep Guardiola
It is not a sport where the relation between the effort and the success, the effort and the reward, does not exist. It is not a sport where success is already guaranteed or it is not a sport when it doesn’t matter where you lose.

And he's got some claim to know what his talking about, seeing as how he's manager of Manchester City.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #84 on: 20 April, 2021, 07:27:25 pm »
There is the argument that by freeing up places in the Champions League, European football with its accompanying glamour, skill-intensification and money, becomes available to a wider distribution. If winning the, say, Bulgarian league lands you with a CL spot, that intensifies competition and brings money to Bulgarian football.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Salvatore

• Джон Спунър
    • Pics
« Reply #85 on: 20 April, 2021, 08:06:13 pm »
Latest rumours:
1. Man City, Barcelona and Atletico Madrid set to follow Chelsea in withdrawing
2 Ed Woodward has resigned from Man Utd (ed. and also Andrea Agnelli from Juventus)

It was pointed out that Manchester United, Arsenal, Liverpool and Milan  are US owned and investments for profit, whereas Chelsea and Man City are oligarchs' playthings.
et avec John, excellent lecteur de road-book, on s'en est sortis sans erreur

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #86 on: 20 April, 2021, 08:29:23 pm »
There is the argument that by freeing up places in the Champions League, European football with its accompanying glamour, skill-intensification and money, becomes available to a wider distribution. If winning the, say, Bulgarian league lands you with a CL spot, that intensifies competition and brings money to Bulgarian football.

That’s pretty much the way the European Cup worked before they rebranded it as the Champions League in 1993, or whenever it was. Listening to commentary on crackly longwave radio of your team playing against the likes of CSKA Sofia was part of the fun and excitement of European football. Watching them play the same small handful of teams year after year gets quite boring.

Even in their late 70s/early 80s heyday there were seasons when Liverpool didn’t qualify for Europe. You treasure it more when it’s harder to achieve.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

citoyen

« Reply #87 on: 20 April, 2021, 08:34:47 pm »
I must be thick

Well...

You may not care about football but you really ought to care about the wider implications of this and what it says about how the world works. Football is a microcosm.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #88 on: 20 April, 2021, 08:52:10 pm »
High-concentrate capitalism mixed with global politics on layers of tradition and mistakes.

« Reply #89 on: 20 April, 2021, 10:50:17 pm »
I don’t remember the other EPL clubs and pundits crying when uefa changed the qualifying rules to give England 4 places in the CL and the champions of wee diddy countries like us have play 3 qualifiers. 
The super league won’t happen now but it will come in some shape or form soon enough.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #90 on: 20 April, 2021, 11:20:46 pm »
I understand that Chelsea was the first club to pull out.

I read on another forum of which I'm a member that the pitch at Chelsea, as distinct from the Stamford Bridge ground, is actually owned by the membership. The guy who claimed this sai he was one of a pretty big consortium who own it, and that since the fans didn't want t, there would be an almighty legal row between the club, the owner of Stamford Bridge, and the fans.

For all I know he might have been talking complete bollocks, and ICBA to find out, but it sounded mildly interesting and plausible. Maybe someone on here knows?
The loss of humanity I could live with.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #91 on: 20 April, 2021, 11:29:43 pm »
According to Wikinaccurate:

Chelsea Pitch Owners plc is a nonprofit organisation which is part of Chelsea Football Club, tasked with the upkeep of the stadium. It owns both the freehold of the Stamford Bridge stadium and the naming rights of Chelsea Football Club.

Which presumably includes the actual grass.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #92 on: 20 April, 2021, 11:38:19 pm »
There's this: https://twitter.com/pitchowners/status/1384145943482703873

Like all Chelsea FC supporters, the CPO Board is monitoring the proposals for a European Super League as they develop. We will keep in mind our objective, which is to ensure that the Club continues to play football at Stamford Bridge, a ground owned by the Club’s fans.
The loss of humanity I could live with.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #93 on: 21 April, 2021, 12:53:22 am »
It looks very much as though the wheels have already come off the proposal with all six English clubs having a sudden change of heart.  Some reports have both Milan sides and Atletico Madrid doing likewise.  Barcelona is apparently going to put it to the club members, as if it'll make a difference.  I don't think there’s much money to be made out of a series consisting solely of Juventus v. Real Madrid matches.

« Reply #94 on: 21 April, 2021, 05:33:56 am »
I don't see the reason for the fuss?.
Any connection to the 'fans' are long gone anyway and they're just marks to milk money from.
I'd loved to see them push ahead, if nothing else as a big FU to UEFA and the PL/FA.

« Reply #95 on: 21 April, 2021, 06:27:49 am »
Glad I didn't bother to try and find out what this was all about

citoyen

« Reply #96 on: 21 April, 2021, 07:34:27 am »
Any connection to the 'fans' are long gone anyway and they're just marks to milk money from.
I'd loved to see them push ahead, if nothing else as a big FU to UEFA and the PL/FA.

This is why it grates so much to hear the likes of Sky mouthpiece Gary Neville positioning himself as a moral crusader on this. Sky are largely responsible for making this situation inevitable.

That said, you can’t make a stand against greed and corruption by being even more corrupt and greedy. The ESL proposals were a step too far.

It will happen in one form or another eventually though, that much seems clear.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #97 on: 21 April, 2021, 07:56:17 am »
Glad I didn't bother to try and find out what this was all about
It's a sports form of Brexit, with England taking back control from European sports. This means next time you ride the Forest Green Rovers 200, you'll have to be on a custom-made Reynolds-tubed bike, with components from Hope and Chater-Lea, a saggy leather saddle and a huge canvas saddle bag. You know you're going to just love it!

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #98 on: 21 April, 2021, 07:56:50 am »
It looks very much as though the wheels have already come off the proposal with all six English clubs having a sudden change of heart.  Some reports have both Milan sides and Atletico Madrid doing likewise.  Barcelona is apparently going to put it to the club members, as if it'll make a difference.  I don't think there’s much money to be made out of a series consisting solely of Juventus v. Real Madrid matches.

Looks like that we will end up with a couple of sides playing with themselves.

Surely Man United should be in that group?
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #99 on: 21 April, 2021, 08:28:55 am »

This is why it grates so much to hear the likes of Sky mouthpiece Gary Neville positioning himself as a moral crusader on this. Sky are largely responsible for making this situation inevitable.
Plus Neville is a co-owner of Salford City FC who some say have thrown money around and bought their way into the league.