Author Topic: Google account birthday request  (Read 8069 times)

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
Re: Google account birthday request
« Reply #25 on: 21 April, 2021, 12:55:37 am »
I use 1 Jan 1900, easy to remember.
or 1st february 1934....1234

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #26 on: 21 April, 2021, 12:58:01 am »
And the cashier couldn’t understand the d.o.b. field on either a BRITISH passport or driving licence.

Ha!  I hadn't considered that problem.

Mind you, after too long communing with the babbage-engines, I've been known to reach a state where I can make a reasonable guess at what a unisex spaceadmin timestamp might mean, but have to pull my BRANES out, blow into the edge connector and shove it back in a couple of times before I understand BRITISH dates.  This is probably what it feels like to be Excel.

No matter what the date format, my birthday is on the 13th and even in USAnia there are only twelve months.  It'd be pretty hard to interpret “64” as anything other than a year too.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #27 on: 21 April, 2021, 06:38:55 am »
The discrepancy between U.K. and USA dates came in very useful a couple of years ago when I wanted to hire a car. The license I realised standing in The queue had expired on 11/1/2018. This was now September. The agent looked at the license, reminded me that I needed to get it renewed before November and gave me the keys.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #28 on: 21 April, 2021, 08:12:51 am »
(last time I looked which was admittedly a long time ago, you were allowed to buy beer (or porter) in pubs for 14yo anyway, so long as said 14yo stayed out of the bar area (where the carpet isn't).  Though that's probably no longer true.)
I remember something similar but thought it included cider and the age was 16. I expect the correct version can be produced by combining both our memories, mixing them together, then throwing the result away and consulting the relevant legislation!
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #29 on: 21 April, 2021, 09:48:29 am »
ISTR that includes your good self PB...

Indeed it does.  🙂

I am expecting a parcel today.  I'll keep you informed. 

ian

« Reply #30 on: 21 April, 2021, 10:03:26 am »
And the cashier couldn’t understand the d.o.b. field on either a BRITISH passport or driving licence.

Mind you, after too long communing with the babbage-engines, I've been known to reach a state where I can make a reasonable guess at what a unisex spaceadmin timestamp might mean, but have to pull my BRANES out, blow into the edge connector and shove it back in a couple of times before I understand BRITISH dates.  This is probably what it feels like to be Excel.

No matter what the date format, my birthday is on the 13th and even in USAnia there are only twelve months.  It'd be pretty hard to interpret “64” as anything other than a year too.

I have honestly been asked by a lady scrutinizing the 28 in my DoB 'what month is that supposed to be?'

« Reply #31 on: 21 April, 2021, 10:46:29 am »
There's also that weird thing with booze sites that makes you put in you DoB to confirm that you're over eighteen.

I figure the kids have that one sorted, though I think licking the screen will be marginally less effective than drinking 24 cans of Top Deck Shandy, something that from experience I don't recommend.

Whereas our local artisan beer emporium just asks if you are over 18 with two options to click on.  Perhaps the kids around here are a bit thick.

I think it's a hangover from the US, all the shops there have the if you're born after this date in whatever year, you can buy booze and cigarettes (in those states where there's still a state monopoly of boozohol, I think they're often the law, you buy them from the booze authority).

I figure this means that most Americans do not know how old they are, or that they really have been counting the days till they get their paws on their first legal forty-ouncer. Possibly both.

I had this bizarre thing in the local Co-Op a few weeks ago...

Junior ( age:21 ) and I went around the shop and picked up this and that.
At the checkout, I asked for a bottle of gin that was behind the counter.
'I need to see ID for junior', in case you are buying it for him.
We don't have such ID, so can't buy.

Purchase other items, go to car, return to shop myself one minute later, purchase gin from same person, just fine.

I've not had issues in my supermarket, got a laugh even, when at the self service checkout my three year old scanned all the shopping, the boozeahol, and then paid with the contactless credit card.  Checkout supervisor was more than happy to click the "over 18" button and not ask for ID. 

ian

« Reply #32 on: 21 April, 2021, 11:31:28 am »
My wife got carded going into a taproom the last time we in NYC. She was very happy about this, me less so, since – despite her pathetic denials – she was clearly flirting with the doorman.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #33 on: 21 April, 2021, 12:03:35 pm »

I have honestly been asked by a lady scrutinizing the 28 in my DoB 'what month is that supposed to be?'

Geldof, obviously.

« Reply #34 on: 21 April, 2021, 12:10:13 pm »
The discrepancy between U.K.world and USA dates came in very useful a couple of years ago when I wanted to hire a car. The license I realised standing in The queue had expired on 11/1/2018. This was now September. The agent looked at the license, reminded me that I needed to get it renewed before November and gave me the keys.
FTFY.  ;)
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

ian

« Reply #35 on: 21 April, 2021, 12:10:42 pm »

Geldof, obviously.

I told her it was the Julien calendar.

This sort of thing gets me into trouble, and why I spent years as a South African (owing to some accent misunderstanding in a local bar, I became South African, which after the joke ran out, persisted as he wouldn't believe I wasn't South African).

« Reply #36 on: 21 April, 2021, 01:33:59 pm »
I have always thought that the "British" format is more logical, as it at least goes from lesser (day) to greater (year) in a logical progression. Why would you start in the middle with month? I also read somewhere once that the "British" format is more international, in that the "US" one is really confined to the USA and Canada and ours is used elsewhere.

However, neither is satisfactory anywhere likely to be read internationally, since neither gives an unambiguous result, unlike various alternatives, such as 01-Jun-2021 or 2021-06-01 (which no-one reads as YYYY-DD-MM).

ian

« Reply #37 on: 21 April, 2021, 01:43:04 pm »
Americans always write April 21st and never 21st April, so I guess the format reflects that. It's totally illogical and a big PITA.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #38 on: 21 April, 2021, 01:43:12 pm »
I have always thought that the "British" format is more logical, as it at least goes from lesser (day) to greater (year) in a logical progression.

Little-endian is silly, but at least it's consistent.

Why would you start in the middle with month?

Historical reasons, presumably, from a time when dates were thought of as wordy things rather than numerical.  Middle-endian is the most stupid way of formatting a date.  (Which is where the BRITISH date format falls down - our dates are little-endian but our times are big-endian, so it becomes a mess when you put them together[1].)

However, neither is satisfactory anywhere likely to be read internationally, since neither gives an unambiguous result, unlike various alternatives, such as 01-Jun-2021 or 2021-06-01 (which no-one reads as YYYY-DD-MM).

Indeed.  ISO date is clearly the best if it's ever going anywhere near a computer.  Big-endian dates sort properly in ASCIIbetical order.  Pretty-print with a three-letter month and four digit year so that older humans immediately understand the format, assuming they understand the language of the month abbreviations used.

Internally, machines are much better off counting the number of time units from some epoch or other.  Less to go wrong.

[1] Obviously post-brexit we should insist that all timestamps are written 231.45:44:13T21-04-2021.  GMT, obviously, none of this UTC rubbish.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #39 on: 21 April, 2021, 01:49:48 pm »
Big-endian dates sort properly in ASCIIbetical order.

This FTW.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #40 on: 21 April, 2021, 02:17:44 pm »
Medical research dates will always put the month in letters rather than numbers to remove ambiguity

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #41 on: 21 April, 2021, 02:43:24 pm »
I like those formats which combine digits with either letters or Roman numerals: 21-IV-2021 or 21-APR-2021. You can put those in any order and it's clear, at least as long as you use a four-digit year (which of course, you sometimes won't).

Middle endian at least replicates common speech patterns: April the twenty-first. As for any of these systems being worldwide (or worldwide apart from USA), that kind of assumes that any calendar is worldwide.

« Reply #42 on: 21 April, 2021, 03:40:58 pm »

I like those formats which combine digits with either letters or Roman numerals: 21-IV-2021 or 21-APR-2021. You can put those in any order and it's clear, at least as long as you use a four-digit year (which of course, you sometimes won't).
My school, having pretentious to what it once had been, insisted we use roman numerals for the month. The only time I still do that, for reasons I can't explain, is X for October.

Sent from my moto g(30) using Tapatalk

Too many angry people - breathe & relax.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #43 on: 21 April, 2021, 05:06:39 pm »
My school, having pretentious to what it once had been, insisted we use roman numerals for the month. The only time I still do that, for reasons I can't explain, is X for October.

I think this is the first time I've come across it.   ???

I only use two-digit years when forced to by form fields.  The idea is approximately as abhorrent as putting punctuation inside the quote marks, for broadly similar reasons.

ian

« Reply #44 on: 21 April, 2021, 05:15:55 pm »
I punctuate inside the quotes.

I do write out month names, on account of regularly communicating with Americans. It's also true that they genuinely cannot do 'military time.' (I'm sort of hoping the US military can do it.)

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #45 on: 21 April, 2021, 06:08:47 pm »

I do write out month names, on account of regularly communicating with Americans. It's also true that they genuinely cannot do 'military time.' (I'm sort of hoping the US military can do it.)

AND they don’t have fortnights.  Even just saying the word sends them into paroxysms of helpless mirth.  “He said 'fortnight' snk snk splort lolz0rz &, moreover, roffle!”
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #46 on: 21 April, 2021, 06:21:22 pm »

I think this is the first time I've come across it.   ???
I think it's common in France and some other parts of ABROAD. And, it seems, pretentious English schools, who presumably like the idea of using something LATIN.

I only use two-digit years when forced to by form fields.  The idea is approximately as abhorrent as putting punctuation inside the quote marks, for broadly similar reasons.
I punctuate inside or outside, depending on the preferences of whoever is paying me.  :D

'Military time' would be 24-hour clock? US military form would suggest they probably use a 'decimal 12-hour clock' or some such oxymoronic abomination.

« Reply #47 on: 21 April, 2021, 06:23:25 pm »
AND they don’t have fortnights.
Nor surnames
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #48 on: 21 April, 2021, 06:25:17 pm »
Oh, forgot about two-digit years. It's pleasing to read an early 20th century book in which characters reminisce about things that happened back in '88, for instance.

« Reply #49 on: 21 April, 2021, 06:34:31 pm »
AND they don’t have fortnights.
How do they manage with the computer game? Which I've never played, and about which I know nothing.