Author Topic: Confessions of a tool junkie  (Read 130057 times)

Re: Confessions of a tool junkie
« Reply #1125 on: 08 May, 2024, 06:59:23 pm »
I watched a AvE YouTube video on the release of his view collective designed snap-off blade utility knife. Unfortunately the postage from canukstania wasn’t silly money (even if the knife _might_ have been).

Guess what I’m awaiting the delivery of!

Wow, that price!  :o Looks very good though.

Does anyone have recommendations for slightly cheaper utility/Stanley-type knives? Mine is rubbish, and I'd like something a little more heavy duty.
I bought a Stanley snap off blade knife not long ago which is very adequate, especially for the money.

Great, thanks for the tip.  :thumbsup:

I'm also looking for a decent stud finder (I was a little concerned about what results would come up when I Googled it, but it was OK) and spirit level(s). Anyone got any tips for what to get/avoid?

The B&Q / Screwfix own brand "Magnuson" have some good levels. Accurate, well made and reasonably priced

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #1126 on: 09 May, 2024, 07:41:07 pm »

I treated myself to a set of metric gauge blocks.

I don't really need a set. But so shiny...

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

« Reply #1127 on: 09 May, 2024, 08:03:18 pm »
That'll keep stuff straight.

« Reply #1128 on: 09 May, 2024, 11:16:24 pm »
 Beardy best level on the market Stabila 83S . Used mine for forty odd years as a Bricklayer . Know as the gods truth on the building .
Its More Fun With Three .

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #1129 on: 12 May, 2024, 06:07:20 pm »
Sold my 4 year old 8" bandsaw for almost twice what I paid for it . .   and ordered a new 10" better quality model.

« Reply #1130 on: 12 May, 2024, 06:09:56 pm »
Sold my 4 year old 8" bandsaw for almost twice what I paid for it . .   and ordered a new 10" better quality model.
Sounds like a cause for celebration.

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #1131 on: 12 May, 2024, 07:17:49 pm »

It is* - and even better I've bought a Record machine that colour co-ordinates with my Record air filter and sawdust collector!

*it's also my birthday tomorrow.

« Reply #1132 on: 12 May, 2024, 07:33:45 pm »
My mate is selling a lathe. Single phase. Quite a big one. Any of you lot interested?
"Ott's Law states that the worst weather will coincide with the worst part (for that weather) of any planned ride"

« Reply #1133 on: 13 May, 2024, 07:11:23 am »

I just got some Knipex TwinGrip Slip Joint Pliers.
I ordered one on Friday 10th May 2024; it arrived the following day. :thumbsup:

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #1134 on: 13 May, 2024, 08:45:47 am »

It is* - and even better I've bought a Record machine that colour co-ordinates with my Record air filter and sawdust collector!

*it's also my birthday tomorrow.

Happy Birthday, Rob.

I used to have an E. German 8" bandsaw with a resin table and plasticky blocks for blade guides.  It was so precise that cutting felt as easy as using pencil and ruler.  The motor croaked some years ago and I couldn't find anything compatible so I replaced it with a Metabo, which is rubbish.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #1135 on: 13 May, 2024, 02:24:28 pm »
Following on from some Tubleless Nonsense a week ago, this is the latest addition to the bike workshop. A proper inflator head for the compressor.

Inflator by Ron Lowe, on Flickr