Author Topic: Mike Hall RIP  (Read 28201 times)

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
Re: Mike Hall RIP
« Reply #25 on: 31 March, 2017, 11:59:01 am »
Mike speaking to Jack Thurston about what makes him a cyclist.  Words we could all relate to

https://twitter.com/jackthurston/status/847126521408032769

Jack_P

• It's just dicking about on bikes
    • Cycling hobo
« Reply #26 on: 31 March, 2017, 12:42:59 pm »
Just devastating, so sad, a huge loss.

Graeme

• @fatherhilarious.blog 🦋
    • Graeme's Blog
« Reply #27 on: 31 March, 2017, 01:49:09 pm »
 :'(

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #28 on: 31 March, 2017, 02:39:56 pm »
On the twitter feed there are tributes from all over the world.  Mike was a truely international figure

« Reply #29 on: 31 March, 2017, 02:49:30 pm »
A very very big lost, been keeping a eye on the race.
Only met him if a few times but a really nice bloke who had a great love of cycling .

Rip mike.

« Reply #30 on: 31 March, 2017, 03:06:51 pm »
My wife and I are both very sad. I got to know him a little when I finished the second Transcontinental, my wife rather better as a helper on it and subsequent events. He was a genuine unassuming guy with the strength of mind to overcoming a lot of barriers to riding around the world as fast as he did, as well as win several ultra distance races. I really hope his legacy of the Transcontinental lives on both for its sake, but also in how it has inspired a series of ultra-distance unsupported races.

RIP
Events I am running: 5th September 2021, the unseasonal Wellesden Reliability; HOPEFULLY Early April 2022, 3 Down London - New Forest 300K Audax;

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
« Reply #31 on: 31 March, 2017, 05:09:03 pm »
Absolutely terrible news. There has been way too much like it of late. My condolances to everybody who knew Mike and to those who didn't but were inspired by him.

« Reply #32 on: 31 March, 2017, 06:21:15 pm »
Dreadful news. I met him at the end of his world record 92-day bike ride in 2012 and wrote a piece for Arrivee, an issue edited by Tim Wainwright...

« Reply #33 on: 31 March, 2017, 06:42:36 pm »
 :'(
where you have a concentration of power in a few hands, all too frequently men with the mentality of gangsters get control. History has proven that. Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely.

vistaed

• Everyday stories
« Reply #34 on: 31 March, 2017, 11:43:45 pm »
after hardship comes ease -
 www.strava.com/athletes/188220

« Reply #35 on: 01 April, 2017, 08:41:21 am »
Dreadful news. I met him at the end of his world record 92-day bike ride in 2012 and wrote a piece for Arrivee, an issue edited by Tim Wainwright...

It's intensely poignant to read about his least favourite part of the trip.

« Reply #36 on: 01 April, 2017, 09:16:50 am »
Mike also tweeted  on the 26th of march 2017  about motorist passing too close and too fast . It might be fitting to have a campaign , In his name to make motorist more  aware of how vulnerable cyclists  are . R I P mike   
Its More Fun With Three .

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #37 on: 01 April, 2017, 09:22:49 am »
Motorists already know; a number of motorists just don't care. Certain motorists actively use that vulnerability to bully cyclists out of their way.
http://www.amygillett.org.au has been running in Oz since 2006.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #38 on: 01 April, 2017, 10:57:18 am »
I don't know the answer little wheels& big but some thing has to change .  I have deleted most of this post ( out of respect) i don't  want to hijack this thread ) colin     
Its More Fun With Three .

Terry2wheelz

• terry2wheelz
« Reply #39 on: 01 April, 2017, 01:13:53 pm »
Very sad news, Mike H was a real source of inspiration & crackin' ambassador for our pastime -

It's not been a good couple of weeks in this respect, I can still vividly recall seeing two Crewe Clarion riders performing CPR on their club-mate Mark on the Mam-Tor audax, then in very quick succession we learn of the tragic loss of other keen audaxers  Micky Ina & Tim Wainwright.

Being a forty-somthing I sometimes just roll thru life thinking / hoping that I'll be doing this for years to come & totally taking life for granted.
Life really is a precious gift.   35 is no age despite Mike's impressive palmares. Very Sad.
RIP - Mike, Mark, Micky & Tim     
T. 
Fatter Riders Bounce Better :-) !

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #40 on: 01 April, 2017, 03:34:46 pm »
I did not know him.  Reading the tributes, I wish I had.

R.I.P.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #41 on: 01 April, 2017, 06:26:19 pm »
It's particularly upsetting to learn of the death of Mike from a car collision less than a week after being hit myself on The  Dean. I enjoyed meeting and listening to him at the Reunion Dinner. Very sad to hear that he's been killed so tragically and so young.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #42 on: 01 April, 2017, 07:13:48 pm »
RIP Mike.
There's a JustGiving page to raise funds for his loved ones.
https://www.justgiving.com/crowdfunding/Mikehall

« Reply #43 on: 02 April, 2017, 12:13:00 am »
Thanks, Helly, donated.
What's this bottom line for anyway?

« Reply #44 on: 02 April, 2017, 12:51:29 am »

It's a poignant issue altogether, containing as it does an appreciation of Rocco, the article about Mike Hall and contributions from Chris Wilby and John Radford.  There's also a couple of articles by at least one other rider who has been smashed up in the recent past. Tim's photos, too.

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #45 on: 03 April, 2017, 10:35:07 pm »
Tomorrow evening - Tuesday 04/04 - at 22.30, Bike Channel (Sky 464 & others) will be showing 'Inspired To Ride' as a tribute to Mike.
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

« Reply #46 on: 04 April, 2017, 10:26:34 am »

It's fucking heartbreaking watching this -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_GRUZhBAPPk

« Reply #47 on: 04 April, 2017, 05:26:41 pm »

We could do with something for Arrivee for those not on YACF.  This next edition already will have obits for Tim and Roland Masset.  But don't send anything to the email address given in the latest Arrivee, because that's Tim's - perhaps better is to use the link given on the AUKweb page for Arrivee contributions IE http://www.aukweb.net/arrivee/filedrop/

« Reply #48 on: 04 April, 2017, 05:56:06 pm »
a lovely tribute here - maybe the author would be happy for it to appear in Arrivee?

https://ridefar.info/2017/04/tribute-mike-hall/

Phil W

« Reply #49 on: 05 April, 2017, 06:46:10 pm »
Kirsten owner of Brush Mountain Lodge on the Tour Divide talks of meeting Mike the first time in 2011.

https://www.facebook.com/BrushMountainLodge/posts/1138489609594325