Author Topic: Mike Hall RIP  (Read 28200 times)

Phil W

Re: Mike Hall RIP
« Reply #50 on: 06 April, 2017, 06:44:11 pm »
Great set of photos from Tour Divide and Transam.

https://www.facebook.com/julian.craker.7/posts/1485539971516068

« Reply #51 on: 06 April, 2017, 06:58:21 pm »
I can't quite get to grips with this yet. I can't say I knew Mike beyond riding with him a few times, but he just strikes me as the sort of person who should never die. It's not that I don't value other people, but there was something about Mike that makes this horrific event really grate. I know I'm not the only person who feels this way. None of the eulogies I've read strike me as anything other than completely sincere.

« Reply #52 on: 07 April, 2017, 09:05:19 am »
he just strikes me as the sort of person who should never die.

Without wishing to sound too twee, he won't... He has a legacy that will have always outlasted his physical presence on this spinning rock. That his time was cut so short is just galling though, and i agree, tough to come to terms with.

« Reply #53 on: 22 April, 2017, 09:36:51 pm »
So no charges, no police reports, no more information as to what happened that day? Seems shoddy to me.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #54 on: 23 April, 2017, 07:49:25 pm »
For those not on the mailing list (I don't think they'd mind this being distributed:)

A celebration of Mike’s life will be held on Tuesday 2nd May at around 12:45 at Pavilions of Harrogate – Wharfe Room.
http://transcontinental.us6.list-manage.com/track/click?u=6449313680bbffb8a31db02ae&id=16f1a5aaf6&e=9c42529369

We would like to invite anyone who felt a connection to Mike to come and remember him in good company. There will be an opportunity to say a few words about him and share some stories over a jar or two. There is no need to R.S.V.P please just turn up. Any questions you may have about the venue such as directions or parking please contact the venue directly.

As we appreciate Yorkshire might be a long way for some people to travel, there will be another event held in Mid Wales in early June.

As befitting a celebration of Mike and his passion for bikes and cycling you are positively encourage to arrive by bike. There will be room to store bikes, at the owner’s risk, at the Pavilion. The wearing of lycra is encouraged.

The funeral will be a small and private family gathering, but we hope to share the celebratory part of the day with everyone who would like to come.

We continue to seek your patience while we say goodbye to Mike. We will endeavour to bring you news of the race a short while after we've said our goodbyes.

www.mikehall.cc

Date and time

2nd May 2017, around 12:45

Pavilions of Harrogate, Wharfe Room, Great Yorkshire Showground, Harrogate, North Yorkshire, HG2 8NZ

Dress code
Lycra and cycling caps encouraged, but please dress in any way you see fit to honour Mike.

On the Facebook group there are rides being (semi)organised, and beds supplied to visitors from abroad. Nice to see.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #55 on: 04 May, 2017, 08:13:47 pm »
Nice obituary https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/mike-hall-cxp20wfmr in the Times yesterday - well worth registering for 2 free articles per week in order to read it, if you don't have paywall access.

Sounds like it was a special Memorial Service on Tuesday.  Never met Mike, but have thought about him on almost every bike ride since the IPWR started.

« Reply #56 on: 05 May, 2017, 09:25:08 am »
Nice obituary https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/mike-hall-cxp20wfmr in the Times yesterday - well worth registering for 2 free articles per week in order to read it, if you don't have paywall access.

Sounds like it was a special Memorial Service on Tuesday.  Never met Mike, but have thought about him on almost every bike ride since the IPWR started.

Thanks for this. Read it and it a great write up. Sad to see that the driver is still “assisting” the police with the events after all these weeks.

TJG

« Reply #57 on: 05 May, 2017, 01:23:34 pm »
The celebration of his life was great and lovely to see so many people arriving by bike.  He has clearly inspired and  left a lasting impression with many people.  There were a lot of interesting memories shared by the people who knew him.

Here is one of the poems read out.

http://www.kinesisbikes.co.uk/Blog/Archive/May-2017/More-than-a-blue-dot

« Reply #58 on: 05 May, 2017, 02:51:34 pm »
The brevet-style cards they distributed was a beautiful idea as well. Hopefully these links from the TCR FB page will work for everyone, otherwise I'll post photos of mine later:

There is a Mike-sized hole in my life now, and though a lot smaller that other people's who attended on the day, it still hurts every day. I hate my inarticulacy at times like this, was struggling to come up with something positive to say to Patricia Hall, when zigzag came along, spoke so eloquently about how you could see Mike's character reflected in her, enough to move us all to tears.
“That slope may look insignificant, but it's going to be my destiny" - Fitzcarraldo

« Reply #59 on: 02 June, 2017, 11:10:10 am »
Duct tape is magic and should be worshipped

« Reply #60 on: 04 June, 2017, 08:33:34 pm »
Was privileged to be able to join in a section of the Mike`s  last ride on Saturday from Abbeycwmhir. A memorable ride and a really nice community of cyclists and his friends.

Here`s scene of cyclists on last ride heading out along that iconic Welsh road heading west along Elan valley. Good to have been able join in for a bit of the ride.

P6030128 by jamesld8, on Flickr

....after the `tarte de pommes`, and  fortified by a couple of shots of limoncellos,  I flew up the Col de Bavella whilst thunderstorms rolled around the peaks above

« Reply #61 on: 23 December, 2017, 10:29:49 am »

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #62 on: 23 December, 2017, 10:51:43 am »
It is a little surprising that the race organisers did not seek leave to appear at the inquest. That may increase the risk of incorrect conclusions.

Audax Oz had a rider die in a brevet last century and the coroner completely muddled riding a 600km brevet with a short road race and ignored the concept of riding a bike on the road at night for any other reason. The consequences of the coroner taking that approach still linger.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #63 on: 23 December, 2017, 11:50:00 am »
Not sure if anyone notice during last Sunday's bbc's sport personally of the year,  when they have a bit were they remember sports stars who are no longer with us a picture of mike hall came up , it was nice to see him remember in the mainstream.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #64 on: 23 December, 2017, 01:50:51 pm »
Yes, that was a nice thing. He's also on their webpage: http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/sports-personality/42182257
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #65 on: 23 December, 2017, 03:34:13 pm »
It is a little surprising that the race organisers did not seek leave to appear at the inquest. That may increase the risk of incorrect conclusions.

These unsupported races are just that, unsupported, so I don't see the need for the organisers to appear unless they wanted to as a show of their support for Mike's wife. Being there, could have been tantamount as suggesting they were in any way responsible.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #66 on: 23 December, 2017, 03:59:55 pm »
The race rules and route were set by the organiser. The organiser has noticeably modified the equipment requirements for next year's race. Do you think any of those things might influence the coroner's inquest regarding the organiser's responsibility or lack thereof?

« Reply #67 on: 23 December, 2017, 08:14:49 pm »
I don't know much about how inquests work. But I agree, surprising that Jesse not taking a proactive role. I would have expected he would be called to give evidence, but maybe that is not what happens at these things. I'll make some discreet enquiries.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #68 on: 23 December, 2017, 09:13:17 pm »
In the UK (and Mike died in Australia) inquest are merely to ascertain cause of death, not to ascribe blame.

A Coroner can issue a 'Prevention of Future Deaths' statement but this course of action is not commonly taken.

A cause of death might be

Natural Causes
Misadventure - usually risky activity goes wrong
Suicide
Open Verdict - No conclusive evidence - often used when someone has killed themself but was not definitely known to be suicidal
Accidental
Unlawfully killed

There are more but the list is very limited.

Legal and judiciary systems elsewhere have different systems.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #69 on: 23 December, 2017, 09:31:38 pm »
https://www.courts.act.gov.au/magistrates/courts/coroners_court

As I said, Audax Oz is still affected by a coroner's inquest that occurred last century.

« Reply #70 on: 24 December, 2017, 12:00:49 am »
Jesse's statement of requirements for the next race in March:

They said riders would need to pass a safety check and be required to have two front and two rear lights, a rear red reflector, reflective ankle straps and reflective tape on their bike's crank arms and seat stays.

They will also be required to wear a reflective vest and have their lights on between 4pm and 8am and when visibility is poor.

Is somewhat surprising in that this appears to suggest these basic safety requirements were not in force for this year's race.

simonp

« Reply #71 on: 24 December, 2017, 01:52:07 am »
Audax UK does not specify such requirements - there is no bike check on any Auk event I’ve entered. PBP does have a check and sanctions for failing to wear high vis etc when required.

« Reply #72 on: 24 December, 2017, 01:57:28 am »
Jesse's statement of requirements for the next race in March:

They said riders would need to pass a safety check and be required to have two front and two rear lights, a rear red reflector, reflective ankle straps and reflective tape on their bike's crank arms and seat stays.

They will also be required to wear a reflective vest and have their lights on between 4pm and 8am and when visibility is poor.

Is somewhat surprising in that this appears to suggest these basic safety requirements were not in force for this year's race.

I thought you had to be an adult to enter this event.

My preference is to assume that people over the age of majority are capable of exercising their own judgment on a such matters.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #73 on: 24 December, 2017, 02:54:16 am »
I am not aware of any definite evidence that folk bedecked in high-vis actually have fewer collisions.

There might be evidence they are seen sooner but it's moot that drivers actually change their behaviour for the better as a result.

« Reply #74 on: 24 December, 2017, 05:45:52 am »
Plus something forgotten by people from warmer climates, those not used to hot weather can overheat due to wearing a reflective vest, especially when the requirement is 8pm, on warm summer evenings it's still light then and still hot.
Overheating can lead to sleepiness with all the associated behaviour.

So wearing a reflective vest during hours of daylight can even cause a crash.

(Plus there are area's where wearing a reflective vest 'urges' car drivers to overtake you closer as usual.