Author Topic: Mike Hall RIP  (Read 28200 times)

bikey-mikey

• AUK 6372
  • Yes, I am completely mad ! a.k.a. 333
Mike Hall RIP
« on: 31 March, 2017, 07:46:39 am »
There are many reports saying that Mike died in a crash on the Monaro Highway during the closing stages of the IPWR south of Canberra.

RIP Mike

http://www.bordermail.com.au/story/4568507/indian-pacific-wheel-race-cancelled-due-to-death-of-cyclist-mike-hall/
I’ve decided I’m not old. I’m 25 .....plus shipping and handling.

Cycling heatmap
https://www.strava.com/athletes/4628735/heatmaps/6ed5ab12#10/51.12782/-3.16388

Re: Mike Hall
« Reply #1 on: 31 March, 2017, 07:57:04 am »
Terrible, awful news.

RIP Mike.

IPWR cancelled.

Re: Mike Hall RIP
« Reply #2 on: 31 March, 2017, 08:04:17 am »
A real shock. Horrible.

vistaed

• Everyday stories
« Reply #3 on: 31 March, 2017, 08:08:19 am »
The race organisers have confirmed that he had died. They have cancelled the race. Terrible news!
after hardship comes ease -
 www.strava.com/athletes/188220

« Reply #4 on: 31 March, 2017, 08:09:23 am »
Absolutely devastating news.  Mike's in my thoughts :-[
DJR (Dave Russell) now retired. Carbon Beone parts bin special retired to turbo trainer, Brompton broken, as was I, Whyte Suffolk dismantled and sold. Now have Mason Definition and Orbea M20i.

« Reply #5 on: 31 March, 2017, 08:12:23 am »
A legend who inspired many people to push beyond themselves and achieve new personal records, myself included.  Our thoughts go out to his family and close friends who have lost a loved one.

« Reply #6 on: 31 March, 2017, 08:53:52 am »
A legend who inspired many people to push beyond themselves and achieve new personal records, myself included.  Our thoughts go out to his family and close friends who have lost a loved one.

I was just reading about Mike and vistaed's bonkers BCM route choices - https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=92759.200

RIP.

JamesBradbury

• The before-ride picture is even worse
    • James Thinks
« Reply #7 on: 31 March, 2017, 09:12:03 am »
A friend and I were tracking Mike's progress during this race and we're shocked and deeply saddened to hear this news. I notice there's a JustGiving page to help support his partner at this difficult time if anyone feels inclined to contribute. 

« Reply #8 on: 31 March, 2017, 09:21:59 am »
Terrible. RIP.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

« Reply #9 on: 31 March, 2017, 09:22:46 am »
Such shocking and sad news  :( :(
You're only as successful as your last 1200...

bhoot

• MemSec (ex-Mrs RRtY)
« Reply #10 on: 31 March, 2017, 09:25:47 am »
I met Mike at the AUK reunion in November, and rode a short distance with him chatting about usual cyclist stuff like tyre choice, such a friendly unassuming guy. Then we watched the video from the Trans Am - and were inspired enough to buy it and watch it again.
I'm really gutted to hear this sad news.

« Reply #11 on: 31 March, 2017, 09:27:49 am »

So true.

Only ever met him once when he was giving a talk on his exploits after which I had a conversation about his kit etc.  Very approachable and thoroughly nice guy.  Very sad news.

I notice there's a JustGiving page to help support his partner at this difficult time if anyone feels inclined to contribute. 

Very worthwhile and worthy of support.

gibbo

• Riding for fun, cake and beer.
    • Boxford Bike Club
« Reply #12 on: 31 March, 2017, 09:45:00 am »
I just saw this news on the BBC. Sent a chill down my spine. Such a tragedy. RIP Mike, what you did was truly amazing.

« Reply #13 on: 31 March, 2017, 09:52:08 am »
Very sad news.
RIP and my deepest condolences to his family and close friends.

« Reply #14 on: 31 March, 2017, 10:11:34 am »
Just saw this on the BBC. A big shock and very sad news. I've never met him but an inspiration nevertheless.

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #15 on: 31 March, 2017, 10:21:19 am »
This is very shocking news

I followed Mike on Twitter for years and met him and talked on the Brevet Cymru one time

He wasn't a close friend or anything but he was approachable, remarkable and, for such an extraordinary man, very ordinary

SoreTween

• Most of me survived the Pennine Bridleway.
« Reply #17 on: 31 March, 2017, 10:35:33 am »
Hell not another one.
RIP Mike, you were and still are an inspiration.
My condolences to everyone coming to terms with a big hole in their world today.
2023 targets: Survive. Maybe.
There is only one infinite resource in this universe; human stupidity.

« Reply #18 on: 31 March, 2017, 10:51:39 am »
Terrible news. I've been 'dot watching' the IPWR all week and even watched Inspired to Ride last night - didn't expect to wake up to this.

RIP Mike.

caerau

• SR x 3 - PBP fail but 1090 km - hey - not too bad
« Reply #19 on: 31 March, 2017, 10:51:56 am »
No words.  :(   
He was a very familiar face on the audaxes around these South Wales parts.
It's a reverse Elvis thing.

« Reply #20 on: 31 March, 2017, 10:55:08 am »
Dreadful and sad news and my condolences to all his family. I met Mike once on BCM 2016 at Kings Dolgellau and he was a lovely and modest man to talk to. A terrible loss of an inspiring rider
....after the `tarte de pommes`, and  fortified by a couple of shots of limoncellos,  I flew up the Col de Bavella whilst thunderstorms rolled around the peaks above

« Reply #21 on: 31 March, 2017, 11:13:53 am »
Absolutely gutted to have lost him. Even more poignant is that it's nearly a year since we lost Richard, so once again I'll be starting my event this weekend with sadness and a heavy heart.
“That slope may look insignificant, but it's going to be my destiny" - Fitzcarraldo

Mike Conway

• Wheel builder and general bike rider
    • 23mm-wheels
« Reply #22 on: 31 March, 2017, 11:28:30 am »
The long distance community has lost a real legend. RIP Mike Hall.

Bianchi Boy

• Cycling is my doctor
  • Is it possible for a ride to be too long?
    • Reading Cycling Club
« Reply #23 on: 31 March, 2017, 11:41:15 am »
Shared the road with him twice. BC and BCM, he was a real gent and was always willing to share a joke and experiences of being on the road. He was riding a bike with camping equipment and still dropped me on a climb.

BB
Set a fire for a man and he will be warm for a day, set a man on fire and he is warm for the rest of his life.

simonp

« Reply #24 on: 31 March, 2017, 11:47:03 am »
I never met Mike, but his adventurous spirit inspired many people.

RIP, another tragic loss to cycling.