Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Further and Faster / Re: New bike for Audax from Halfords.
« Last post by andyoxon on Today at 10:19:09 am »
Good stuff. Looks like a nice ride was had. :)
« Last post by Sergeant Pluck on Today at 10:14:09 am »
Well done Delidroid. That bike looks as if it fits you pretty well.
The Pub / Re: What have you fettled today?
« Last post by T42 on Today at 10:09:11 am »
The stair stringers, part elebenty. Sanded down the 2 coats of filler I'd applied previously. What a mess.
Then (after hoovering) I applied a teeny bit more filler on the missing bits. Can nearly see the bottom of the 1L tub of filler - that's never happened before.

Question - has anyone found a quiet vacuum solution suitable for running inside a home for a prolonged period of time while sanding? My Google-fu has failed to find anything affordable.

For my workshop I have a 45€ Titan vacuum cleaner which is bloody noisy, so I keep it on the far side of a wall and run the flex plus N metres of hose in through the wall. It has a rocker switch which is permanently on and it plugs into a remote switch in the workshop so that I have suction on demand and the neighbours get the racket.  ;D

Vacuum-cleaner extension hose is cheap and so are connectors. You still need to connect to your sander but you can get stepped reducers that should work, possibly with the addition of a few layers of masking tape.
« Last post by jwo on Today at 09:36:40 am »
I love the narrative arc of this thread.

Great work Del and Blodwyn.
Racing / Re: Giro d'Italia 2024
« Last post by andyoxon on Today at 08:45:53 am »
1hr TV highlights on Freeview DMAX (39) channel, apparently.

That was a load of old bollox by DMAX :demon:

Not good. 
(click to show/hide)
Folders / Re: What folding e-bike? Engwe any good?
« Last post by MikeFromLFE on Today at 08:41:39 am »
I went with the MiRider GB3 as it appeared to tick all my boxes (belt drive, discs, hub type gearing, folding).
It is heavy, but any folder is going to be. The ride quality is superb although I couldn't get on with the standard saddle . The build quality (UK) is excellent.
The biggest downside for me is that the gearing is too low - I'm spinning out far too soon, and with the belt drive changing the rear socket isn't trivial.
Carrying luggage while retaining the folding advantages is always a problem with most (not all) designs it seems.
The hub gear on the GB3 is a proprietary mechanism (Polish) built into the front chainwheel - it seems reliable, but how long it will last is up for grabs.
There is/was another MiRider without the belt & gearing.

Sent from my moto g22 using Tapatalk

« Last post by cycleman on Today at 08:37:21 am »
 :thumbsup:
Online quizzes / Re: Wordle
« Last post by Jaded on Today at 08:26:05 am »
Wordle 1,051 4/6

🟨⬛⬛⬛⬛
⬛🟨⬛⬛⬛
🟨🟨🟩🟨🟨
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩
OT Gallery / Re: Readers' Instruments
« Last post by bobb on Today at 08:20:30 am »
What about the frets themselves? Given its age, I would assume they're pretty tiny. Any visible wear, or signs of lifting? If there are any high/low spots, it's going to remain pretty unplayable whatever you do to the action...
OT Knowledge / Re: Underfloor heating pros / cons
« Last post by fruitcake on Today at 08:18:24 am »
Anyway... moving away from pianos, and back to UFH...

A friend recently had it installed in a kitchen and loves it. She bought the system from Topps Tiles two years ago. The tiler installed the whole kit and the floor tiles.

More plus points:

• it saved space in the room because radiator placement became less important - in fact she chose not to have a radiator
  • the sensation of a warm floor underfoot is very pleasant, and will be particularly so in a bathroom
  • this type of system could be considered an ethical choice - most of the time, electricity is a lower carbon fuel than gas and is becoming lower still as more solar and wind generation is deployed by the grid
  • if you (or a future owner) get a smart meter and choose a smart tariff, you could charge up the floor at low cost or zero cost at times when there is lots of renewable energy on the grid. Your electricity supplier would send you text messages to alert you to these opportunities
Minus points:
  • the control unit needs to go on the wall, and this requires chiselling of plaster for the cable plus redecoration of the wall
  • electricity is an expensive fuel - at current prices
  • the control unit on the model my friend bought is sophisticated but not intuitive; while it can be set up once and never touched, my friend said she 'couldn't feel the warmth' and so chose to override the program. This resulted in the UFH running continually for a few weeks. Her electricity bill will have been large that month
Interesting points:
  • the UFH mats are laid only where there is no permanent furniture (and so it would not go beneath the bath / toilet) and this may prevent you from rearranging the room (moving the bath etc) in future unless you wish to abandon the UFH system at that stage
  • electric UFH plays nicely with solar panels which future home owners may choose to install
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10