Author Topic: What was the last film you watched?  (Read 951941 times)

redshift

• High Priestess of wires
    • redshift home
Re: What was the last film you watched?
« Reply #4075 on: 10 April, 2014, 02:52:02 pm »
I haven't seen it, so I was commenting on the budget. Looks like it was mostly done by an arts school in San Francisco, which is kinda scabby.

http://vfxsoldier.wordpress.com/2013/02/21/vfx-soldier-criticizes-beasts-free-labor-in-wall-street-journal/

Thirty-three students from San Francisco’s Academy of Art University worked for months to craft most of the post-production visual-effects for the independent feature.

Basically a pay-to-work scheme....Benh Zeitlin have made millions, the people who created the work ends up with a enormous student debt.
That is truly crap. The film company/producer must have literally made millions.

Not surprising, Rhythm and Hues basically went bust after Life of Pi:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/9lcB9u-9mVE&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/9lcB9u-9mVE&rel=1</a>
L
:)
Windcheetah No. 176
The all-round entertainer gets quite arsey,
They won't translate his lame shit into Farsi
Somehow to let it go would be more classy…

Jakob

« Reply #4076 on: 10 April, 2014, 06:09:03 pm »
I haven't seen it, so I was commenting on the budget. Looks like it was mostly done by an arts school in San Francisco, which is kinda scabby.

http://vfxsoldier.wordpress.com/2013/02/21/vfx-soldier-criticizes-beasts-free-labor-in-wall-street-journal/

Thirty-three students from San Francisco’s Academy of Art University worked for months to craft most of the post-production visual-effects for the independent feature.

Basically a pay-to-work scheme....Benh Zeitlin have made millions, the people who created the work ends up with a enormous student debt.
That is truly crap. The film company/producer must have literally made millions.

Not surprising, Rhythm and Hues basically went bust after Life of Pi:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/9lcB9u-9mVE&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/9lcB9u-9mVE&rel=1</a>

It's not really related. R&H wouldn't get out of bed for a $1.8m film and indie-films have zero effect on the VFX industry.
R&H went bust because of the stupid fixed-bid business structure in the VFX industry and a perfect storm of studios fucking around with delivery schedules.

I've seen that video before. It's extremely LA biased. Yes, subsidies are making a lot of studies take production elsewhere (like Vancouver)., but an awful lot of people have been moving around the world for VFX jobs in the last 20 years (myself included) and that reality has now hit SoCal.
Also what that video completely forgets, is that the other major VFX studio on Life of Pi, Moving Picture Company (which I was working for at the time), also did a major chunk of the work, got an Oscar....and are still in business..

Andrew

« Reply #4077 on: 10 April, 2014, 09:50:01 pm »
Under the Skin... it will sell well on DVD!

Me,  I was really disappointed. It doesn't add up despite good points (cinematography). In fact, I was left thinking I was missing something, or of Emporer's clothes. I even thought it trite. Predator becomes prey? Pah. Been done. Cold blooded killers lack humanity? Really. No shit Sherlock.

Perhaps one for cinema buffs but it did little for me.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #4078 on: 13 April, 2014, 12:10:21 am »
The Butler.

This was "Two and a Half Hours Enslaved" without the beatings.

To be fair it did include 'Dad Impressions of Past Presidents, at Christmas' and an "Is she/isn't she drunk" Oprah Winfrey. I couldn't tell, she appeared drunk in all her shots.
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #4079 on: 14 April, 2014, 11:15:48 pm »
I caught the last hour of the bleak but beautiful The Way Back with Sting Ed Harris. I'll have to watch the whole thing.

Film4 followed it up with Knowing. It didn't start promisingly, picked up a bit, but then got worse, and it has what may be the worst ending to any movie ever (even though there are rabbits). Not to mention the shonky effects and the over-loud music and the laughable science.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #4080 on: 15 April, 2014, 06:37:20 am »
The Hobbit- The Desolation of Smaug.  Dreadful - nearly 3 hours of OTT CGI and a load of weak extra plot to fill the time and make the audience pay three times to see a film of one of the shortest children's books.  Yes, you do have to see a third film too.

(click to show/hide)
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #4081 on: 15 April, 2014, 10:47:02 am »
Over the weekend we watched two films.

Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs 2 - fun, silly, kids film, but I enjoyed it.

The Three MuskerHoundsteers - fun, silly, not a kids film, I enjoyed it.
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

Vince

• Can't climb; won't climb
« Reply #4082 on: 20 April, 2014, 02:48:37 am »
Pirates of the Wild West The Lone Ranger with Johnny Depp playing Captain Sparrow Tonto.
216km from Marsh Gibbon

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #4083 on: 20 April, 2014, 06:28:38 am »
Barabbas

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #4084 on: 20 April, 2014, 07:11:12 am »
Downfall  Hannah :  Stylish, cool, not-too-long, quirky, actiony, dont-think-about-the-plot.      :thumbsup:

(why hasn't Kate Blanchett done more action movies?!?)
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #4085 on: 21 April, 2014, 11:09:15 am »
Troll Hunter

I might not have bothered with if I hadn't read all the positive reviews here in the past, but I'm sooooo glad I did because it is a thoroughly wonderful film. I love the way it's all based so firmly on classic troll mythology (being able to smell Christians, hiding under bridges etc) and plays it entirely straight yet is laugh-out-loud funny. Hans is a brilliant character and some of his lines are priceless. Also, because I'm a sensitive soul, I found it enjoyably scary in places.

In Bruges last night, the French actress was awfully pretty then I realised it's her off Birdsong, Clemence Poesy.

I am absolutely in love with Clemence Poesy. She's great in that Harry Potter film too. Probably. I don't care. She can do no wrong in my eyes.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

spindrift

« Reply #4086 on: 21 April, 2014, 04:24:20 pm »
The Railway Man.

Colin Firth is good, Nicole Kidman curiously restrained and dowdy but it didn't really work. Stellan Skarsgard should do more serious films instead of fannying about with blokes with big hammers.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #4087 on: 27 April, 2014, 03:00:11 pm »
Captain Philips

Oh dear - I was really looking forward to this :( It wasn't awful, but nothing like the rave reviews it's had. 2 problems for me:

- I never really related to the main bad guy. A lot was made about the simmering tension in his scenes with Tom Hanks, but they never really flew for me. Come to think of it, I didn't really find Cptn P all that involving.
- Lesser whinge: the script totally glossed over all the practicalities of the action. For example:
(click to show/hide)
But overall, I was just generally unmoved. Well, except for the sick-bay scene at the end. I've no idea why, but that was a very emotional moment, Hanks may have earned his pay in that one scene.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #4088 on: 27 April, 2014, 03:23:57 pm »

I actually really enjoyed it.
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #4089 on: 27 April, 2014, 03:33:24 pm »
John Carpenter's Vampires

« Reply #4090 on: 27 April, 2014, 06:23:18 pm »
John Carpenter's Vampires
Did you get wood?
<i>Marmite slave</i>

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #4091 on: 27 April, 2014, 11:15:57 pm »
Fargo. Again. Inspired to watch it again by the new TV series. Great film. Had forgotten quite how extraordinarily violent it is though. The TV series has been excellent so far too.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Riggers

• Mine's a pipe, er… pint!
« Reply #4092 on: 28 April, 2014, 08:59:36 am »
I was going to say The secret life of Walter Mitty (which has a superb soundtrack bytheway), but watched Frozen, with our niece, who new all the songs word-for-word. Yes, it's a Disney syrupy animation, but beautifully made.
Certainly never seen cycling south of Sussex

Ruth

« Reply #4093 on: 05 May, 2014, 10:35:22 pm »
The Other Woman.

I really enjoyed it, and so did my female mate who I went with.  We've both been cheated on, and this is a film about women who have been cheated on, and it was most therapeutic.  Not many 'splosions, but a lot of laughs.

spindrift

« Reply #4094 on: 06 May, 2014, 03:50:00 pm »
Not really a film but House of Cards, the Kevin Spacey version, is on Netflix. He is utterly fantastic, his sporadic asides direct to camera are in character. Chilling.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #4095 on: 06 May, 2014, 04:10:01 pm »
The Titfield Thunderbolt. Excellent.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

spindrift

« Reply #4096 on: 06 May, 2014, 04:16:22 pm »
Passport to Pimlico is on now, Film 4. Margaret Rutherford is wonderful.

Paul

• L'enfer, c'est les autos.
« Reply #4097 on: 06 May, 2014, 11:20:07 pm »
Reservoir Dogs.

First saw this in c 1991 - at/not long after its release, I think. My companion had to leave to be sick about 15 seconds into the scene after the opening credits. I remember thinking that I was watching something different, that this was a different way of making films.

I've seen it many times since. Actually, I decided that I preferred Pulp Fiction (though I don't know that it is accurate/fair to compare the two).

However, I've just watched it with Suzy, who had somehow not seen it before tonight. Watching it with someone who was doing so for the first time made me see it very differently. It appeared to me to be raw and challenging again.

Hell of a film.
What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #4098 on: 07 May, 2014, 12:29:41 am »
The Andromeda Strain (the proper 1971 version).  Probably my all-time favourite film - science fiction with a story lead by the science, complete with aliens and lasers and microscopes and atom boms and timesharing computer systems and authentic 60s lab equipment and frustrating engineering cockups.  All it needs is a better Bechdel score.

« Reply #4099 on: 07 May, 2014, 06:30:07 am »
Mud.
Really enjoyed it. Hadn't heard of it at all until a friend recommended. Really rite of passage film. Nice cinematography on the river, watchable with family and a strong story on a few different threads.  Highly recommend.