Author Topic: What was the last film you watched?  (Read 951948 times)

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
Re: What was the last film you watched?
« Reply #7525 on: 23 October, 2017, 12:28:51 pm »
Batman vs Superman, or as a friend called it, Unrestrained Male Egos and their Enablers.

What a turgid pile of shite. The only good bit was Wonder Woman.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #7526 on: 23 October, 2017, 01:18:07 pm »
Unrestrained Male Egos and their Enablers

I thought 'Toxic Masculinity' was the phrase du jour. It would certainly seem apposite for BvS:DOJ
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #7527 on: 23 October, 2017, 03:55:31 pm »
Unrestrained Male Egos and their Enablers

I thought 'Toxic Masculinity' was the phrase du jour. It would certainly seem apposite for BvS:DOJ

Not quite the same thing, though toxic masculinity certainly has an underlying role to play (both in-universe and without).

ian

« Reply #7528 on: 23 October, 2017, 04:08:34 pm »
Batman vs Superman, or as a friend called it, Unrestrained Male Egos and their Enablers.

It was pretty awful. Portent, weigh down upon me! I speak in grandiose statements. Look. At. Me.

Plus it was obvious they'd end up on a platonic manly loveboat and the problem with Superman is that he's so super there's always got to be kryptonite tedium. Well, it's not like you can beat him otherwise. I suspect they used the the best line from the forthcoming Justice Leaguer in the trailer (sundry super-oik asks Batman what this super power is, 'I'm rich' he deadpans).

« Reply #7529 on: 23 October, 2017, 11:11:35 pm »
Baby Driver

That kind of movie should be right up my alley, but I didn't like it much. Just didn't find the protagonist very likeable.
10 points for using Jon Spencers Blues Explosion for the title track, though.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #7530 on: 24 October, 2017, 08:17:01 am »

It was pretty awful. Portent, weigh down upon me! I speak in grandiose statements. Look. At. Me.

Plus it was obvious they'd end up on a platonic manly loveboat and the problem with Superman is that he's so super there's always got to be kryptonite tedium. Well, it's not like you can beat him otherwise. I suspect they used the the best line from the forthcoming Justice Leaguer in the trailer (sundry super-oik asks Batman what this super power is, 'I'm rich' he deadpans).
Our regular Friday afternoon chat at work is an argument about whether or not Batman is a super hero. I say not, cos he has no super powers, just gadgets and an outfit.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

Wascally Weasel

• Slayer of Dragons and killer of threads.
« Reply #7531 on: 24 October, 2017, 11:42:58 am »

Our regular Friday afternoon chat at work is an argument about whether or not Batman is a super hero. I say not, cos he has no super powers, just gadgets and an outfit.

See also Iron Man under that argument - lots of money, smarts and a cool suit.

ian

« Reply #7532 on: 24 October, 2017, 12:38:18 pm »
I'm fine with non-superhero superheros. The problem is with the god-like superheros who, of course, have to have the flaw. Superman has kryptonite etc. Otherwise they'd be indestructible. Or they're just not very good superheros with superpowers like extreme origami.

Actually, that would be quite cool. One sheet of paper and a few seconds later I'd have folded a supersonic high-tech jet fighter. If this power doesn't exist, I'm claiming Origami-Man. I'd pitch it in Hollywood, as a boon I could fold an impenetrable barrier against lecherous movie producers.

ian

« Reply #7533 on: 24 October, 2017, 01:29:24 pm »
I'm liking my superpower even more now I think about it. My alter-ego is Origamo! I can kill with a paper cut, make a crane and fly, or a boat and take to the water. I can fold anything, I just pull out my magic sheet of paper. Possibly even time and space, if I wanted.

Of course, my kryptonite is scissors.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #7534 on: 24 October, 2017, 01:32:02 pm »

See also Iron Man under that argument - lots of money, smarts and a cool suit.

"Genius billionaire playboy philanthropist" was his witty retort to Thor.

By that logic, Bruce Wayne would be "genius billionaire playboy psychopath".

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #7535 on: 24 October, 2017, 01:34:17 pm »
[...]Or they're just not very good superheros with superpowers like extreme origami.

Actually, that would be quite cool. One sheet of paper and a few seconds later I'd have folded a supersonic high-tech jet fighter. If this power doesn't exist, I'm claiming Origami-Man. I'd pitch it in Hollywood, as a boon I could fold an impenetrable barrier against lecherous movie producers.

You've not encountered Read Or Die?  You're in for a treat...

ian

« Reply #7536 on: 24 October, 2017, 07:33:34 pm »
Conclusive proof, if it were needed, that there's splendidly bonkers and then there's Japan.

Origamo! salutes them.

citoyen

« Reply #7537 on: 24 October, 2017, 08:05:57 pm »
A boy with super-origami powers also features in Kubo And The Two Strings

ian

« Reply #7538 on: 25 October, 2017, 08:39:36 am »
Lots of superheroes share special powers (I mean, come on, how many of them have special flying suits these days or can shoot lasers out of their eyes). It's a good job you can't copyright superpowers. There'd be lawyers everywhere. 'Controlling the weather, miss? We'll see you in court.' Superhero movies would turn into those dull courtroom dramas. Though Morgan Freeman could become a superlawyer. Like everyone, I believe anything that comes out of his mouth.

I do need an origin story, though. How does one become imbued with origami powers? I hanled a lot of radiation in my youth, so that might have done it, though I don't remember anything untoward. I just woke up one day with the power to fold everything but clothes.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #7539 on: 25 October, 2017, 09:14:07 am »
A foolish teenage dare to climb into a rubbish compacter?
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #7540 on: 25 October, 2017, 10:12:06 am »
How does one become imbued with origami powers? I hanled a lot of radiation in my youth, so that might have done it, though I don't remember anything untoward. I just woke up one day with the power to fold everything but clothes.
An hour in a school toilet cubicle trying to roll the IZAL paper back onto the spool.
It is simpler than it looks.

Steph

• Fast. Fast and bulbous. But fluffy.
« Reply #7541 on: 25 October, 2017, 11:15:26 am »
Spool? SPOOL? Ours was in a box!

Anyway, Morgan Freeman:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ch5MEJk5ZCQ
Mae angen arnaf i byw, a fe fydda'i

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #7542 on: 25 October, 2017, 12:12:04 pm »
TЯumpling: Name a superhero who can beat Captain America!
Omnes: Captain Vietnam!
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Steph

« Reply #7543 on: 25 October, 2017, 06:02:35 pm »
'Paul'
Bought on disc a while ago, watched once and then dug out a couple of nights ago. Rather enjoyable. Pegg, Frost, Weaver, Wieg and Rogan.

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #7544 on: 26 October, 2017, 01:14:25 am »
'Paul'
Bought on disc a while ago, watched once and then dug out a couple of nights ago. Rather enjoyable. Pegg, Frost, Weaver, Wieg and Rogan.

'Put. The. Phone. Down.'  ;D
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #7545 on: 26 October, 2017, 09:21:57 am »
Came home from a club meeting in time to catch the last half-hour of Hamlet. Had no idea how old it was but some of the actors looked very familiar, though I couldn't put a name to any of them until I recognized Laertes' smirk as belonging to one Skimpole out of Bleak House. Then "bloody hell, is that Mad Mel?" 'Twas, and he was excellent.  Zeferelli, 1990.  Good duelling, but I'd have had Laertes twice in the first minute back in my hack'n'poke days. Maybe not with those cleavers, though.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

simonp

« Reply #7546 on: 27 October, 2017, 04:05:52 pm »
Wednesday: Mulholland Drive. I'm still processing that.

Thursday: Wonder Woman. Les processing required. Looks good in 4K HDR.

citoyen

« Reply #7547 on: 27 October, 2017, 06:00:02 pm »
Wednesday: Mulholland Drive. I'm still processing that.

Such a great film. Possibly my all-time favourite. Certainly top three.

Just don't try to pretend you understand it, eh? ;)

Monty

• Buffoon
« Reply #7548 on: 27 October, 2017, 11:10:06 pm »
Alien: Covenant.

Arrived on DVD this morning. I'd forgotten about this after it was released earlier in the year and had been anticipating its arrival at home. I rather wish I'd forgotten all about it in the first place!
Overall a very similar story line to the original '79 film, except with some added stuff to confuse the hell out of me!
Disappointed and left with the feeling (as I often am with sci fi films) that the original Alien is the measure by which all others are judged. This fell a long way short, and only really served me with the wish to watch the original again for the umpteenth time! I may know what happens, but I'm still on edge watching it.
Steady at 15

Steph

« Reply #7549 on: 28 October, 2017, 09:27:14 am »
I found it hard going because of all teh stupid.