Author Topic: What was the last film you watched?  (Read 951975 times)

ian

Re: What was the last film you watched?
« Reply #9825 on: 15 January, 2022, 09:54:03 pm »
The Gentlemen. I always figure I should dislike those mockney hammed up gangster movies and for the first five minutes I did, but I confess I quite enjoyed it in the end.

« Reply #9826 on: 16 January, 2022, 01:30:30 am »
It's rather hard to see how this is meant to show fascism as being bad, when it appears to demonstrate the exact opposite. I find it a little uncomfortable to watch, although the cinematography and relatively early CGI special effects are more impressive.
Idunno, they slide into a news report about how humans started the war and are actually the bad guys and the victory at the end is "causing fear in the enemy".  They don't say that the Fascist system doesn't work, but they make it clear that they are the bad guys and that horrible things happen to people in that society, due to the way the society functions.
simplicity, truth, equality, peace

« Reply #9827 on: 16 January, 2022, 05:01:12 am »
It's rather hard to see how this is meant to show fascism as being bad, when it appears to demonstrate the exact opposite. I find it a little uncomfortable to watch, although the cinematography and relatively early CGI special effects are more impressive.
Idunno, they slide into a news report about how humans started the war and are actually the bad guys and the victory at the end is "causing fear in the enemy".  They don't say that the Fascist system doesn't work, but they make it clear that they are the bad guys and that horrible things happen to people in that society, due to the way the society functions.

The right wing libertarians hate it because it shows Heinleins *brilliant* society in a bad light, so I think it's safe to say that Verhoeven got it exactly right.

« Reply #9828 on: 16 January, 2022, 06:41:59 am »
Ring of Spies. A 1966 British film about civil servants selling naval secrets to an American
who passes the details to the Russians.

It starred Bernard Lee. Yes, the chap who played M in some of the early James Bond films.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #9829 on: 16 January, 2022, 10:23:05 am »
Over two or three nights, a Luxembugular krimi called Capitani, presented as a serial with a dozen short episodes totalling >3 hours.  Chiefly interesting for linguistic comparisons of Alsacien and Lëtzebuergesch dialects. Story was run-of-the-mill.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #9830 on: 17 January, 2022, 08:27:55 am »
"Don't look up"

I'd seen a couple of clips, so no end-of-film major plot shockers.

I didn't think that the acting was that bad. Some decent emotional impact.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #9831 on: 17 January, 2022, 12:50:15 pm »
"Don't look up"

I'd seen a couple of clips, so no end-of-film major plot shockers.

I didn't think that the acting was that bad. Some decent emotional impact.

The acting was what carried the film, tbh.

« Reply #9832 on: 22 January, 2022, 09:56:59 am »
Barry Lyndon. Another one I never got around to see until now. 3rd act was a little flat, otherwise amazing and utterly beautiful.
What really struck me, watching the credits, was how small the crew was. Easily a 10th of the size that we would need to make a similar movie today.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #9833 on: 22 January, 2022, 05:01:13 pm »
Munich: The Edge of War. Amateur-spy drama stitched around Chamberlain being gulled by Hitler in 1938.  Not bad, but left a sense of foreboding re Biden, Putin and Ukraine.

« Reply #9834 on: 25 January, 2022, 09:05:38 pm »
The Father Really very good. Much better than its précis would suggest. But a bit scary (as a non-horror film) for anyone the wrong side of 50.
Quote from: tiermat
that's not science, it's semantics.

Beardy

• Shedist
Re: What was the last film you w
« Reply #9835 on: 29 January, 2022, 09:31:02 pm »
Ad Astra. Pretentious of being 2001:A Space Odyssey but more of a 2001:Extra Lite.

It had an odd sense of scientific truth with explosions and gun shots in space being totally silent, yet allowing a man to climb aboard a rocket as it was lifting off, with no apparent I’ll effects on said man. It then used a post stage separation acceleration to take out the bad guys (but not our hero!)

Even the central premise was poor explained. I’m not sure quite how it got 4 ½ stars.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #9836 on: 30 January, 2022, 11:05:20 am »
The Woman in the Window. Felt like a nasty reboot of Rear Window with pharmaceutical misery thrown in. Nearly baled halfway, stuck around to see which way they'd finish it.

Daft bit: she drops a BFO Canon SLR with a BFO lens on it and it still works perfectly a couple of scenes later.

« Reply #9837 on: 30 January, 2022, 10:44:28 pm »
The Tragedy of Macbeth.  Mesmerising!

« Reply #9838 on: 31 January, 2022, 07:22:07 am »
I’m not sure quite how it got 4 ½ stars.

Because it was seen as a Brad Pitt Oscar vehicle, so had a lot of 'serious' marketing behind it.
The whole production was an absolute mess.

ian

« Reply #9839 on: 31 January, 2022, 10:32:18 am »
I’m not sure quite how it got 4 ½ stars.

Because it was seen as a Brad Pitt Oscar vehicle, so had a lot of 'serious' marketing behind it.
The whole production was an absolute mess.

I saw it. I can't remember a single thing about it other than the fact I definitely saw it and it starred Brad Pitt and, probably, some other people who I can't remember. Probably not a recommendation.

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #9840 on: 31 January, 2022, 01:14:22 pm »
The Big Short.  Christian Bale was playing a fund manager and it made me nervous: I could never quite ditch the idea that he was about to go full Pat Bateman. 

« Reply #9841 on: 05 February, 2022, 04:03:56 pm »
A Thor movie with #1 son (the one on iPlayer atm).  Lots of fight scenes, some chase scenes, a sliver of plot and USAnian attempt at humour.  The sort of movie you'd think was put together by an AI.
simplicity, truth, equality, peace

« Reply #9842 on: 13 February, 2022, 12:16:16 am »
Belfast.

Excellent.

« Reply #9843 on: 13 February, 2022, 11:19:41 am »
The Prestige.

Slightly spoiled by the 'magic of Tesla' crap, but well produced and acted. Enjoyed it.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #9844 on: 13 February, 2022, 03:40:15 pm »
Grease.

One of our regular family movie nights, my turn to pick and it turned out we had a 9 year old, a 10 year old and a 41 year old who hadn't seen it. Regardless of how much anybody may or may not have been likely to enjoy it, I felt a responsibility to ensure they were aware of certain cultural references before allowing them back out into the real world.

« Reply #9845 on: 13 February, 2022, 08:51:11 pm »
Blue Streak. Silly but fun.

« Reply #9846 on: 14 February, 2022, 08:59:23 am »
Encanto.  Very enjoyable.  Room was a tiny bit dusty at the end.

« Reply #9847 on: 14 February, 2022, 01:56:53 pm »
Belfast.

Excellent.
Really? I thought it was shallow pretentious self-indulgence.

ian

« Reply #9848 on: 14 February, 2022, 02:14:09 pm »
Sing 2. Sadly again spoiled by implausibility, I don't think lions can actually play the guitar.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #9849 on: 15 February, 2022, 12:02:24 am »
Juggernaut (1974)

An important cultural reference that I was only aware of via a derivative episode of MacGyver.  It was delightfully 70s.