Author Topic: Any strong opinions on MTB winter boots?  (Read 16344 times)

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
Re: Any strong opinions on MTB winter boots?
« Reply #50 on: 29 November, 2019, 10:54:52 am »
So, I click and collected a pair of Shimano MW5 shoes on Tuesday, for £126, and have worn them on commutes for 3 days. They seem good. My feet are definitely substantially warmer than when I was wearing regular MTB shoes with overs. They are comfortable to ride and walk in. I will write up a review in the fullness of time after doing a couple of audaxes and so on.

Though frustratingly I just got an email... 

We are pleased to inform you that 45NRTH Ragnarok Winter Cycling Shoe - size : 45, is now back in stock and available for you to purchase. To view the product please click on the following link https://www.bikemonger.co.uk/45nrth-ragnarok-winter-cycling-shoe-14185-p.asp. If you have any questions, send an email to info@bikemonger.co.uk or simply reply to this message.

So if anyone fancies trying a pair out now might be the time!

Ah - I was going to call in to Ripon on my way past next Saturday but I see they are closed Sat/Sun :(
Regards,

Joergen

« Reply #51 on: 29 November, 2019, 11:32:08 am »
Ah - I was going to call in to Ripon on my way past next Saturday but I see they are closed Sat/Sun :(

I went down the Shimano XM9 route, as they appeared to meet my walking and general warmness criteria the best. Assuming you are out tomorrow, you'll see my first ride with them ... it'll be a good test on how warm they are, for sure, with the temps forecast.

Eddington: 133 miles    Max square: 43x43

Phil W

« Reply #52 on: 29 November, 2019, 05:14:16 pm »
Back in 2003 when I moved to clip less.  I ummd and ahhhhd over the cost  of a pair of winter boots. But they've repaid the cost multiple times on winter commutes. They also allowed me to go out on the muddiest of mountain bike rides, but still have a clean pair (my summer ones) for the road. I don't mountain bike now (road bike on Bridleways / towpaths don't count) but still have a pair of winter boots. At the moment Shimano something or other (my second pair in 16 years), my first ones were Gaerne which I think were better but reached end of life a few years back. . They are a size larger than my summer ones so I can wear hiking socks under them on really cold days.

The other thing about winter boots is you can just hose them down to clean after a muddy ride. I usually do this whilst still wearing them. I wouldn't dare do that with my summer cycling shoes.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #53 on: 29 November, 2019, 05:16:11 pm »
So, I click and collected a pair of Shimano MW5 shoes on Tuesday, for £126, and have worn them on commutes for 3 days. They seem good. My feet are definitely substantially warmer than when I was wearing regular MTB shoes with overs. They are comfortable to ride and walk in. I will write up a review in the fullness of time after doing a couple of audaxes and so on.

Though frustratingly I just got an email... 

We are pleased to inform you that 45NRTH Ragnarok Winter Cycling Shoe - size : 45, is now back in stock and available for you to purchase. To view the product please click on the following link https://www.bikemonger.co.uk/45nrth-ragnarok-winter-cycling-shoe-14185-p.asp. If you have any questions, send an email to info@bikemonger.co.uk or simply reply to this message.

So if anyone fancies trying a pair out now might be the time!

Off topic, but is that the same Bikemonger as Charlie the Bikemonger who used to be down in Dorset?
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #54 on: 29 November, 2019, 05:25:40 pm »
Off topic, but is that the same Bikemonger as Charlie the Bikemonger who used to be down in Dorset?
Charlie sold the shop, and new owners moved it to Ripon.
Seems Charlie is now in Hebden Bridge, working for Singletrack, and still selling Bum Butter.

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #55 on: 29 November, 2019, 06:29:53 pm »
Charlie sold the shop, and new owners moved it to Ripon.
Seems Charlie is now in Hebden Bridge, working for Singletrack, and still selling Bum Butter.

Ah that makes sense - I was wondering as well!  :thumbsup:

I might make a detour in there on a Monday if I can make it work :) (though looks like my size might be OOS anyhow :( )
Regards,

Joergen

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #56 on: 29 November, 2019, 08:25:57 pm »
Thanks. Poor old Wareham (was it Wareham? somewhere thereabouts) left all mongerless!
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #57 on: 08 December, 2019, 11:40:44 pm »
Just bought a pair of shimano MW701's.  The most expensive footwear I've ever bought, but am sick of trying to dry out my old trainers. Review in due course.

« Reply #58 on: 28 November, 2021, 10:54:14 am »
Two years later, could do with some of the promised reviews!

Just been out for a walk and my feet were wet through in minutes, so considering something weatherproof and warm for the bike.  I normally ride in flats, so thought five ten trailcross goretex, but would they be warm enough.  Other options are shimano or ragnarock I would guess.  But could do with current thoughts based on the last two years’ worth of experience.
simplicity, truth, equality, peace

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #59 on: 28 November, 2021, 05:34:03 pm »
I've been very happy with my Louis Garneau winter boots, I think I went up either one or possibly two sizes vs normal to allow wearing of two pairs of socks without squishing - they run quite narrow.  They have a foil lined innersole which adds toastiness and I've never had wet feet with them.

My only issue was that I needed to modify the sole a bit to allow the cleats to engage, and they do feel a bit odd the first few times I put them on each year as the stack height is different to the shoes.
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

« Reply #60 on: 28 November, 2021, 06:08:58 pm »
I have some Northwave boots.  They are fine for short rides but anything over 50km and I get very bad hotfoot. I don't get hotfoot in my normal mtb shoes.

« Reply #61 on: 28 November, 2021, 06:44:38 pm »
I have road winter boots to take an external cleat so not able to give advice on which make.  What I would say is go up a size or two so you can get thicker socks in without compressing sock and foot. Secondly consider some hand warmers from eBay.  I take a few with me in this weather and slip them in the boot on top of the sock.

« Reply #62 on: 29 November, 2021, 11:38:14 am »
Just looked out my winter cycling boots, Lake Mxz 3 series buy a size or 2up. Roasty toasty and that's just  with smartwool merino liners, thinnest socks as even with a size up a snug fit. Could almost say a cycling version of a hillwalking boot a boot for the crap days. If I decide to buy again it will be the wide fitting as I can't wear woolly boolies  as they are a thicker wool mix.

« Reply #63 on: 29 November, 2021, 12:49:42 pm »
I have some Northwave boots.  They are fine for short rides but anything over 50km and I get very bad hotfoot. I don't get hotfoot in my normal mtb shoes.
My North Waves are comfy enough but get a bit sweaty  after 8-10 hours - despite the 'Goretex'

« Reply #64 on: 29 November, 2021, 03:07:21 pm »
Two years later, could do with some of the promised reviews!

Just been out for a walk and my feet were wet through in minutes, so considering something weatherproof and warm for the bike.  I normally ride in flats, so thought five ten trailcross goretex, but would they be warm enough.  Other options are shimano or ragnarock I would guess.  But could do with current thoughts based on the last two years’ worth of experience.
I ride my MTB in flats and am wearing hiking boots for winter. I do a sh1tload of hike-a-bike though so it makes sense.

Pedaldog.

• Heedlessly impulsive, reckless, rash.
  • The Madcap!
« Reply #65 on: 29 November, 2021, 08:44:28 pm »
I need "The best of all Worlds" for SPD winter boots.
SPD is a MUST, on the Trice I've had Leg Suck and it scared me!  I need something that looks like a pretty Normal Boot so that I can wear it anywhere and walk in them.  The Shimano Summatoruvver 90's look Hideous!  The Northwave MX3 don't mention SPD fitting, am I missing something?
You touch my Coffee and I'll slap you so hard, even Google won't be able to find you!

« Reply #66 on: 29 November, 2021, 09:51:17 pm »
I need "The best of all Worlds" for SPD winter boots.
The Northwave MX3 don't mention SPD fitting, am I missing something?
Probably searching for the wrong thing.

The winter SPD boots are the Northwave Celsius, or the Lake MXZ303.

My cold weather boots are the previous version of the MXZ303, not that it's cold enough to bring them out very often, now I've got my feet trained up in cold resistance.

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #67 on: 29 November, 2021, 10:49:49 pm »
The Lake MXZ200 look nice - basically like a normal pair of leather boots but with cleat fittings.

Also the Giro Alpineduro, which looks even more normal.

« Reply #68 on: 05 December, 2021, 04:24:26 pm »
My trusty MT91s are finally falling apart and need replacing. The new version - XM900 - has a stretchy thing at the ankle to help with the issue of water running down your legs and filling the boots, though from the pictures it doesn't look very robust. From the reviews it seems they've changed the sizing which is a pain: "These boots are true to size, order them in your usual Euro shoe size, still plenty of room for winter socks." I had to go up many sizes from my normal boot size to get MT91s that fit with boot socks, and was hoping that now I know my Shimano-size I could just order the same again... are there any real-life shops that stock these things to save the rigmarole of delivery-return?

The Lake MXZ200 Karla mentioned look like they are the same sort of thing, does anyone here have a pair? There are no reviews on that site.
Quote from: tiermat
that's not science, it's semantics.

« Reply #69 on: 05 December, 2021, 04:32:46 pm »

They look good, apart from the very low back. I don't have narrow feet but suffer heel slipping in a lot of boots which is a killer if using them for actual walking.
Quote from: tiermat
that's not science, it's semantics.

« Reply #70 on: 05 December, 2021, 05:08:36 pm »
The Lake MXZ200 look nice - basically like a normal pair of leather boots but with cleat fittings.

Looks like a walking boot, even has a Vibram sole.  Makes me wonder if you could take an existing walking boot with a Vibram sole and take it to a Vibram approved cobbler and get the cycling sole put on. Make for a great winter boot.

« Reply #71 on: 06 December, 2021, 11:48:05 am »
Somewhere back in the mist of three pages of posts fBoab IIRC sed that a pair of BMX pedals and walking boot of your choice is a very good solution, unless you think you need cleats to pedal far or fast*.

*YMMV!

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #72 on: 06 December, 2021, 01:50:11 pm »
Somewhere back in the mist of three pages of posts fBoab IIRC sed that a pair of BMX pedals and walking boot of your choice is a very good solution, unless you think you need cleats to pedal far or fast*.

*YMMV!

...or not bash your shins / run over your ankles.

Before I was brave enough to try clipless pedals, I used normal walking boots with PowerGrips straps.  This works well (albeit somewhat more fiddly to engage than clipless), but they eventually wore a hole in the upper of my long-suffering boots.  If you don't mind riding without foot retention (which, if there isn't a recumbent involved, probably depends on your cadence habits), then boots and a decent set of BMX pedals is a perfectly reasonable solution.

I've since discovered MT91 boots, which seem to be the best of both worlds in terms of cleats and soles you can walk in.  While they're admirably waterproof, they're not especially insulated.

« Reply #73 on: 10 December, 2021, 05:15:37 pm »
I’m currently using Northwave Arctic MTB winter boots. They seem to keep my feet warmer than my Shimano winter Mtb boots. They’re a size 48 and wide and a roomy fit for my size 12.5 UK feet. Note: Although I’ve positioned the spd cleats so my feet are away from the cranks, after 2000 miles of wearing them over two winters I’ve managed to wear fairly deep scuff marks especially on the drive side crank arm. I summise it is the bulkiness of the boot. Rather that than cold feet

« Reply #74 on: 15 December, 2021, 12:11:29 am »
Had high hopes of xero xcursions as a walking shoe that would work on bike, but they have all the downsides of a rigid bike shoe with none of the benefits.  Currently thinking that I might as well stump up for a winter cycling shoe (that I could use, say, with the trike when not commuting) even though it will mean swapping shoes when I get to work.
How much faff are these boa things?  Back in my day velcro was a novelty replacing laces.
simplicity, truth, equality, peace