Author Topic: You don't pay no road tax  (Read 18157 times)

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
Re: You don't pay no road tax
« Reply #100 on: 10 October, 2019, 03:20:08 pm »
I increasingly think the solution is carbon rationing. Where we assess what our emissions are and what we would like them to be, and everyone gets a carbon allowance for gas, non renewable electricity, fuel, travel, maybe even all goods.

If people are forced to choose between driving and heating the home or holidays things may change. Not taxation as polluting the planet should not be a luxury afforded to the rich. An absolute limit the same for everyone.

Eddington  127miles, 170km

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #101 on: 10 October, 2019, 03:22:42 pm »
If people are forced to choose between driving and heating the home or holidays things may change. Not taxation as polluting the planet should not be a luxury afforded to the rich. An absolute limit the same for everyone.

Except it's not the same for everyone, is it?  Rich people can afford to use less fuel to heat their homes, because theirs aren't built to landlord spec.  They might even have their own renewable energy sources.

« Reply #102 on: 10 October, 2019, 03:23:14 pm »
I increasingly think the solution is carbon rationing. Where we assess what our emissions are and what we would like them to be, and everyone gets a carbon allowance for gas, non renewable electricity, fuel, travel, maybe even all goods.

^ ^ ^ This ^ ^ ^
Rust never sleeps

« Reply #103 on: 10 October, 2019, 03:25:30 pm »

Except it's not the same for everyone, is it?  Rich people can afford to use less fuel to heat their homes, because theirs aren't built to landlord spec.  They might even have their own renewable energy sources.
Carbon usage comes off landlord's carbon allowance. That would encourage them to insulate the property properly. With adjustments for commercial landlords.
Rust never sleeps

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #104 on: 10 October, 2019, 03:29:17 pm »

Carbon usage comes off landlord's carbon allowance. That would encourage them to insulate the property properly. With adjustments for commercial landlords.

Courageous, as they say in Yes Minister.

« Reply #105 on: 10 October, 2019, 03:31:46 pm »

£30 p.a. for my car. ....
A6 avant. 4 people and luggage, no worries. 700kg of stone seems a lot. Probably needs a crew cab pick up.

? ? ? ?

https://www.parkers.co.uk/audi/a6/avant-2018/car-tax/

Maybe yours is the previous regime? It's changed now.

Which FTR is the same as the grandpawagon, they are very similar cars, although I have the slight edge on capacity.

« Reply #106 on: 10 October, 2019, 03:45:21 pm »

Courageous, as they say in Yes Minister.
:-)

A man can dream can't he ??
Rust never sleeps

« Reply #107 on: 10 October, 2019, 04:23:59 pm »
Duct tape is magic and should be worshipped

« Reply #108 on: 10 October, 2019, 04:25:59 pm »

I like that idea, if it means I can sell some of my rations for cash. I'd save even more money by being too mean to heat my home very much or use a car.

ian

« Reply #109 on: 10 October, 2019, 04:50:56 pm »

True, but this is the same for everything. It the price of gas goes up 10% I can grumble about British Gas, but I'm not going to spend my evenings shivering.

The secret, of course, is not to rely on landlords and developers to do the right thing because they'll do the cheap thing. It's the legislate that they do the right thing.

Looks at current government: we're fucked. Remember, these were the people who gave Persimmon so much money their CEO had to quit out of embarrassment.

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
« Reply #110 on: 10 October, 2019, 05:08:15 pm »

If anything it probably costs more as the homes are bigger

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
« Reply #111 on: 10 October, 2019, 05:10:31 pm »

£30 p.a. for my car. ....
A6 avant. 4 people and luggage, no worries. 700kg of stone seems a lot. Probably needs a crew cab pick up.

? ? ? ?

https://www.parkers.co.uk/audi/a6/avant-2018/car-tax/

Maybe yours is the previous regime? It's changed now.

Which FTR is the same as the grandpawagon, they are very similar cars, although I have the slight edge on capacity.
64 plate 2.0 tdi uktra

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #112 on: 10 October, 2019, 07:16:57 pm »

True, but this is the same for everything. It the price of gas goes up 10% I can grumble about British Gas, but I'm not going to spend my evenings shivering.

The secret, of course, is not to rely on landlords and developers to do the right thing because they'll do the cheap thing. It's the legislate that they do the right thing.

Looks at current government: we're fucked. Remember, these were the people who gave Persimmon so much money their CEO had to quit out of embarrassment.

my experience, working in the area of carbon management is that companies are far ahead of governments in this area, whatever the graun might have said this week.

Big Pharma site i was at last week, has some very ambitious targets for both CO2 neutral and energy reductions, unbidden by govt. 
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #113 on: 10 October, 2019, 07:18:59 pm »
debt is effectively the most traded 'commodity' in the world, not product).
This in all things. We've built a whole global economy based on shuffling digits and pieces of notional paper from one person to another. This is far more important than things!
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

ian

« Reply #114 on: 10 October, 2019, 07:21:57 pm »

my experience, working in the area of carbon management is that companies are far ahead of governments in this area, whatever the graun might have said this week.

Big Pharma site i was at last week, has some very ambitious targets for both CO2 neutral and energy reductions, unbidden by govt. 

That's true, but relying on corporate altruism will only get us so far, and sometimes I think the fact that some companies being ahead is really more a reflection on how retrograde our government is in enforcing measures. These are the people who announce their concern for the climate with a road expansion plan and reward developers for building the cheapest boxes possible at the minimum possible standards.

« Reply #115 on: 10 October, 2019, 10:55:12 pm »
I'd go one further/worse: while teh man on the street will harp on about Climate Change (if you are lucky) teh same man will also suggest that someone else should be made to deal with it and it should not force any lifestyle changes on him.
It's like paying taxes, someone else should do it.
simplicity, truth, equality, peace

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #116 on: 10 October, 2019, 11:03:19 pm »
I'd go one further/worse: while teh man on the street will harp on about Climate Change (if you are lucky) teh same man will also suggest that someone else should be made to deal with it and it should not force any lifestyle changes on him.
It's like paying taxes, someone else should do it.

This. in spades.
It is simpler than it looks.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #117 on: 11 October, 2019, 06:34:49 am »
Ian,
I don't think its corporate altruism any more, its now becoming some thing that is directly affecting bottom line, PR, recruitment, license to operate in some cases
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

ian

« Reply #118 on: 11 October, 2019, 10:54:30 am »
I'm more cynical, in some cases I think it's a push to avoid more stringent legislation by doing something voluntarily. I just don't buy corporate altruism as an ultimate solution to anything, it's only a solution till the spreadsheets disagree.

rob

« Reply #119 on: 11 October, 2019, 04:09:09 pm »
A mail went round the other day about reducing the amount of paper towels we use to improve sustainability.

I could point out we'd be better off canning our physical coal operation, but it's probably not a career lengthening move.

« Reply #120 on: 16 October, 2019, 08:13:39 am »
We have just bought a (newish) car.

Not electric, MrsC is the primary user and she decided electric wouldn't work for her. So it is a big diesel.

VED is £30 a year.

That is bloody bonkers. War on the motorist my arse.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #121 on: 29 November, 2019, 09:55:18 am »
A 'while back' there was a rumour that some/all VED was to be ring fenced for the Road Fund.  Did this ever happen?  Was the idea scrapped?
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

« Reply #122 on: 29 November, 2019, 10:04:59 am »
That was a Gideon initiative. No idea if it happened. Under normal circumstances I would imagine the bastard Tories would have ploughed right on, but given the current shit show, who knows.
Rust never sleeps

« Reply #123 on: 29 November, 2019, 10:15:07 am »
^^^ It was a small percentage that was to go to Highways England or some such title for the maintenance of strategic routes. i.e motorways and trunk roads.  I too do not know if it happened.

« Reply #124 on: 29 November, 2019, 10:18:26 am »
My recollection was that it was the entire VED take would be ring-fenced for roads, and my understanding is that that would be for the Highways Agency to spend on trunk routes, motorways, etc, not local roads.
Rust never sleeps